Vinyl plank vs engineered wood flooring

2,656 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by OldAg89er
country squirrell
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Pro's & cons? I know the vinyl is water proof but the wood looks so much better
JP76
Pets in the house ?

Kids ?
country squirrell
no pets. Two grand kids most weekends
rsa
AG
A number of our local builders are using the higher end (not the stuff you buy from the liquidator warehouse) vinyl planking in their new homes. Looks great, wears well, and is softer and quieter under foot. The higher end engineered wood products are strong and look great, but they do tend to be noisier when walking on them than the vinyl planks.
75AG
AG
If you have a long run, vinyl will looked warped. It's inevitable.

I would suggest visiting with Ron at Aggieland Carpet One. He a great guy, and know his stuff.
TransplantedRedRaider
We have about 1700 square feet of higher end vinyl plank flooring. Been in the house about 2 1/2 years was new when we moved in. We love that flooring. Easy to clean, looks great. It seems to be better for sound absorption than tile that we had in last house, and it definitely a softer feel on the feet.

I'd consider our hallway a long run of the vinyl planks, and we have no warping at all.

When moving in, the movers badly scratched a few planks in the entry way. The replacement of those pieces was quick and easy.
one MEEN Ag
AG
country squirrell said:

Pro's & cons? I know the vinyl is water proof but the wood looks so much better
Let me just save you a bunch of hours looking at the various vinyl plank stuff and share what we put down in our whole downstairs. I spent months researching and looking at flooring products. You want a rigid SPC board, that's stone plastic composite. Its 70% stone dust extruded with pvc. Its heavy, waterproof and not suspectible to warpage from direct sunlight like floppy vinyl plank is. Its rigid so it doesn't telegraph anything beneath the floor through over time (no sagging). Super scratch resistant as we have a dog and it hasn't shown a single scratch.

We went with Republic purespcmax and couldn't be happier. Woodland Oak, Post Oak color. It had the best images, highest quality surface texture and wasn't too wide or trendy. Incredible product. It sells for like $5 a square foot online but the Sherwin Williams flooring distributor in houston will sell it for $2.30.

https://www.republicfloor.com/pure-spc-flooring

I went to their distribution center in Houston off of Brittmore near I-10, Beltway 8. They had all their products. They blew everything else out of the water. Karndean, Mohawk, and whatever else you thought you wanted aren't as good as this company.

If you're going to to click lock engineered wood just do this instead. I would only do engineered flooring if you're going to do unfinished tongue and groove flooring and someone sands and finishes it. Thats what looks like a real hardwood floor.

TAMC11
AG
We had vinyl plank in the last house and engineered hardwood in this one. As much as I like the look of the engineered hardwood, the vinyl plank gave me unmatched piece of mind. I never worried about it because 1) it was resilient and 2) if a piece got damaged it is easily replaceable. The engineered hardwood looks great but it causes a lot of paranoia.
OldAg89er
rsa said:

A number of our local builders are using the higher end (not the stuff you buy from the liquidator warehouse) vinyl planking in their new homes. Looks great, wears well, and is softer and quieter under foot. The higher end engineered wood products are strong and look great, but they do tend to be noisier when walking on them than the vinyl planks.
IMHO, No such thing as "higher end stuff" when it comes to vinyl. Vinyl is vinyl. Looks like vinyl, walks like vinyl, wears like vinyl. Would not touch a new home with that stuff installed with a ten foot poll. Imagine paying for it for 30 years.

Not sure what a "number of local builders means". But what it means to me: don't touch that builder with a 20 foot poll. If they are going cheap on the visible flooring -- have to wonder what is going on in the walls and under the roof where you can't see.
MisterShipWreck
Before I was divorced, I had my laminate floor damaged (in my previous house) when I got a leak from the water hose on my ice maker - on the rear of the fridge.

Basically, a pin hole sized leak popped up from that water line sprayed a mist out. It likely went for a day or two before we noticed. Ended up buckling the floor.

When I moved into my condo after the divorce, I redid some of it. I put in vinyl plank in my kitchen. I never want to have to deal with that happening again.

I am very satisfied with the look of the floor, though.

I considered that tile that looked like wood, but it was a bit too expensive
studioone
so why not tongue and grove some oak boards? They'd last a LOT longer...
TAMC11
AG
Alright fancy pants. It's a value engineering item. Interested to hear if you have any legitimate gripes about it other than "it's vinyl".
Carny89
A year ago we did a extensive remodel. The mrs. Begged to pick out the floor. I allowed it. Some high end vinyl. That's what all the new houses are getting. The guys layed down 1/3 of it. I had them stop. It looked like flooring in the entrance of a Walmart. Or a new trailer house. I don't have anything against a trailer house. I lived in one as a kid, but I graduated from that. Anyways. I sold the remaining vinyl and got the wood stuff. Triple the price. But looks great. I don't care about scratches and such. Gives it some character. I spent way too much on all this to have that type of floor take away from the other stuff.
95_Aggie
AG
Quote:

Looked like flooring in the entrance of a Walmart. Or a new trailer house.
Quote:

Triple the price.
Now people are being snobs about flooring. Not everyone lives in a multi-million dollar house with an unlimited renovation budget.

rodan85
AG
Nutmegger
AG
If you like formaldehyde then go with the engineered wood...
Carny89
Snob? I worked my azz off to have what I want. I gotta walk across this floor everyday for many years to come I can afford to have it how I want it.
OldAg89er
TAMC11 said:

Alright fancy pants. It's a value engineering item. Interested to hear if you have any legitimate gripes about it other than "it's vinyl".

Volatile Organic Chemicals (VOCs) used in
vinyl flooring can cause toxic out-gassing after the floor is installed.

Can also cause damage to your subflooring, it is also very difficult to repair when damaged in any of a number of ways (usually must be replaced), changes color as it ages (yellows), causes damage to the environment when disposed of, has that cheap look and feel, used by builders who build crap houses.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.