Mountain Lion/Couger in the area?

23,678 Views | 101 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by EBrazosAg
histag10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have seen a few posts on Facebook about a mountain lion or cougar in the Wixon Valley/ Kurten area. Can anyone confirm this? Our dog has been missing for a week today from the Tabor area, and we are hoping this was not his fate.
techno-ag
AG
We have bobcats and gray foxes around here, not mountain lions.
histag10
AG
That's kind of what I thought (and what I have seen near our house- as well as coyotes)
techno-ag
AG
Yup, coyotes too. And a wolf sanctuary is coming to Grimes County but supposedly they will remain fenced in.
histag10
AG
Oh fun.

Our biggest concern right now is finding out what happened to our dog. At this point, the likelihood we will find him alive is dwindling, and we are suspecting coyotes (though several neighbors have warned us that someone in the area has potentially been poisoning dogs, and the sherrifs office is investigating it)
BCStalk
Unfortunately that's true. I've heard of a few cases in the wixon area about it. As for the mountain lion thing, mountain lions are going to be west of Austin. People always mistake bobcats and yellow labs for lions on Facebook.
techno-ag
AG
Condolences about your dog.

Put up an electric fence in your backyard for the next one. They're relatively inexpensive and easy to assemble. Once your pup gets popped a couple times they will never try to leave the yard again.

ETA just run a single strand of wire about 8 inches off the ground all along the inside of your yard. It worked for us.
Rexter
I saw a cougar walking along 21 near the creek east of Wixon Valley. I slowed down to get a better look and take a pic, and it tried to jump in my car.

I'd estimate it was about 50 or so, with long blonde hair, tight jeans, and boots.
ratfacemcdougal
She still there. Its a nice day out and my windows will be down.
halibut sinclair
There's a whole school full of Cougars out there in CS.
TxFig
AG
techno-ag said:

We have bobcats and gray foxes around here, not mountain lions.

While they are rare (VERY rare), mountain lions HAVE been seen in our area in the past.

... My wife & I bought our property just barely outside the Bryan city limit (litterally at the end of the runway of Coulter Field) in 2004.

In 2006 we both spotted a mountain lion in the field next to our house.
  • Tanny color
  • Bigger than our German Shepherds
  • long tail

Sitting on a mowed path next to the pond (ie. not hidden by tall grass). At a distance of ~30 yards (not that far). About 90 minutes prior to sunset (ie. plenty of light).

Edit: We spotted the same cat (I assume) 3 days later in a different spot in the same field. And then never again.

It is entirely possible that the reports of a cougar near Wixon Valley are entirely accurate.
--
Chris Barnes
Retired A&M IT geek - now beekeeper
http://www.cornerstonehoneybees.com/
tb9665
Maybe someone's pet got loose?
benny63
A cougar was killed a few years ago in Milam County.

powerbelly
AG
Possible but unlikely

JP76
benny63 said:

A cougar was killed a few years ago in Milam County.

I believe this was never confirmed by TPWD

Love Gun
Are you allowed to kill them?
OnlyForNow
AG
Yes
Love Gun
OnlyForNow said:

Yes

User name checks out!
BQ_90
AG
Love Gun said:

Are you allowed to kill them?
but then you're risking killing someones yellow lab
TAMU1990
AG
Big cats have been seen in South College Station.
Well, okay then
AG
Saw one summer 2005 off West Villa Maria as Traditions was going in.
Buford T. Justice
AG
I was exploring the wooded area behind our house a couple of weekends ago. I was showing my son how to follow animal tracks, and how to use the imprint to generally tell you the type of animal that had passed.
As I was looking around, I saw one print that I could have sworn was a cougar, just by shape and size. If it was a bobcat, it would have had to have been the biggest bobcat that I've ever seen.

For reference, this was very close to Lick Creek Park.
Buford T. Justice
AG
And when I saw the print, I thought to myself,"I'm really stupid for bringing my son out here without any type of defense mechanism."

I grew up in the Big Thicket area, and we spent many hours in the woods as young kids, never having a care in the world. It was really sobering to see the print that I referenced above.
TAMU1990
AG
Buford T. Justice said:

I was exploring the wooded area behind our house a couple of weekends ago. I was showing my son how to follow animal tracks, and how to use the imprint to generally tell you the type of animal that had passed.
As I was looking around, I saw one print that I could have sworn was a cougar, just by shape and size. If it was a bobcat, it would have had to have been the biggest bobcat that I've ever seen.

For reference, this was very close to Lick Creek Park.
My husband was running pre dawn hours in Williams Creek when he saw them. They probably do live out in Lick Creek.
legalbird
redass89
Wendy 1990 said:

This. I've personally seen the pictures on the game camera of someone who run cattle near the river bottom in Wellborn. They had a calf killed last year.
BQ_90
AG
redass89 said:

Wendy 1990 said:

This. I've personally seen the pictures on the game camera of someone who run cattle near the river bottom in Wellborn. They had a calf killed last year.
Let's see them, because everyone knows somebody who's seen them yet not any proof has ever been posted.

Again don't take my word, go ask those on Outdoors, many who are professionals in this field
TAMU1990
AG
BQ_90 said:

redass89 said:

Wendy 1990 said:

Let's see them, because everyone knows somebody who's seen them yet not any proof has ever been posted.

Again don't take my word, go ask those on Outdoors, many who are professionals in this field
Sorry, my husband was running without his phone and he was more concerned about getting the heck out of dodge than documenting it. He stopped running back there at dark because of the encounter.
BQ_90
AG
Wendy 1990 said:

BQ_90 said:

redass89 said:

Wendy 1990 said:

Sorry, my husband was running without his phone and he was more concerned about getting the heck out of dodge than documenting it. He stopped running back there at dark because of the encounter.
So then he's not really sure what he saw then. Which is the case 99.9% of the time when a "big cat" is spotted in this area. Again don't believe me, go ask on the outdoors board about confirmed cougar sightings in the BCS, well grimes co too.

Again everyone knows somebody that's seen one, but nobody can ever get it on camera, isn't that odd to you?
OnlyForNow
AG
Let's see em. That's not something that someone deletes.

Also let's see the pictures of the killed calf.
JP76
In 2017 I was driving down sandy point from osr around 7:40 am Between lake bryan and 2018 on sandy point there is a really low area in a creek bottom between Burt road and Pleasant hill. Both me and my wife saw a really large cat, every bit of 36 inches tall that did not have spots and did not have a short tail. It crossed right In front of me and I pulled over and got out and turned my phone on but I could not see it once it went into the woods. I've heard of 2 different stories about one out in camp Arrowmoon road area in Robertson county. I've also heard of 1 around Caldwell from a friend who has land over there. Also have a friend whose deer lease in the 80's was where Indian lakes is now. He has probably killed 30 bobcats or more in the past 45 years but he said he shot at a long tailed cat back then in that area. To this day he says he thinks it was a jaguarandi and not a mountain lion.
Aggie
AG
I have spotted a large cat on a couple occasions in the same area.. off OSR near Sandy Point Road.
I don't know if it was a large bobcat or something else.. but it for sure caught my attention, and would of been abnormally big for a bobcat. First one was spring 2017 and other fall 2018
Love Gun
My grandfather had some property in Midway a few years ago. He said he saw one out there and thought it was the neighbors calf at first - until he got closer. I actually shot at the damned thing a few months later.

I parked the truck at the gate so not to scare off the hogs and decided to walk in to the camp area. When I got close, I saw that cat run out from behind the trailer and it was now about 40 yards in front of me. I had an AK on me and clicked off safe. Got the gun up quickly and fired off two shots at it while it was running away. It took off into the woods, but all I could remember about that encounter was that long tail. I kept replaying it in my head, trying to dismiss it as a coyote, but there was just no way. It was like seeing a ghost.

They're in the Brazos Valley. Don't let anyone tell you different.
Buford T. Justice
AG
I just ran past a pack of either wolves or coyotes on Williams Creek Dr. (Main Street). They were down in the creek bed and my headlamp picked up their eyes looking at me. I'd say 8-10 sets of eyes.

Tha'll get the HR up.
AggieBaseball06
AG
Buford T. Justice said:

I just ran past a pack of either wolves or coyotes on Williams Creek Dr. (Main Street). They were down in the creek bed and my headlamp picked up their eyes looking at me. I'd say 8-10 sets of eyes.

Tha'll get the HR up.

Congrats on your fastest time ever...
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.