Tell me about Bryan ISD

7,376 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by mamagutz
Ukraine Gas Expert
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
techno-ag
AG
Johnson Elementary continues to receive awards, including National Blue Ribbon. It is located several blocks behind the Dodge dealership on the bypass.

High schools even out at the higher grades but we prefer the smaller size of Rudder. Also Bryan Collegiate partners with Blinn for dual credit. Everyone we know who has kids there loves it, but there's no sports to speak of, only a focus on college which could be a good thing for your kid.
Ukraine Gas Expert
AG
Jinx
I have one child who will be attending elementary this fall and we are looking to purchase a home soon, so I appreciate the question from OP! I have been advised to steer clear of Mary Branch. I see a lot of new builds going up in that area, any idea how this will affect the school's performance? We aren't even looking in West Bryan because of how many things I have heard about the schools.
KC_Ag14
AG
Jinx - would you mind sharing some of the things you've heard about Mary Branch and other BISD schools in West Bryan? We're zoned for these schools and have a 3 y/o that will be starting school in a couple short years. Feel free to PM if you feel more comfortable with that.

Sorry to derail OP!
Ukraine Gas Expert
AG
gus1390
AG
I believe this site provides some details on different programs offered. I don't have kids in the schools and have heard some realtors run down Bryan ISD, but my friends who have kids there say they love it.

https://www.bryanisd.org/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=1554928&type=d&pREC_ID=1680694
rsa
AG
techno-ag said:

Johnson Elementary continues to receive awards, including National Blue Ribbon. It is located several blocks behind the Dodge dealership on the bypass.

High schools even out at the higher grades but we prefer the smaller size of Rudder. Also Bryan Collegiate partners with Blinn for dual credit. Everyone we know who has kids there loves it, but there's no sports to speak of, only a focus on college which could be a good thing for your kid.
Taught at Blinn for 2 decades, and was in on the organization for the Bryan Collegiate program. Hands down one of the best groups of public school learners I had the pleasure of working with. Well motivated students with a desire to learn and get ahead, backed by solid support from the admins. The students I worked with from Rudder and Bryan High were likewise great students to work with, every bit as prepared and motivated as students from AMCHS and CSHS.
isitjustme
AG
Bryan ISD can be a really good experience, education and otherwise - at least it was for our kids. Johnson, Bowen, and Sam Houston are probably the premier elementary schools though I've heard some good things about most of the others as well.

My kids went through before the current k-4, 5&6, 7&8 groupings before high school. Nonetheless, in the middle schools, they still have the Inquire Academy, which is really good, and Odyssey program, which I understand is also really good.

My kids did the IB program at Bryan High, and that really helped them in college as they went in already knowing how to research and write papers, and to study/think beyond the test. They had several friends who did Bryan Collegiate and that worked out good for them because they are picking up their college credits in college courses with other college students, not just from passing an AP test. AP tests are fine, but too many college credits without the benefit of ever being in a college course has its drawbacks. Can't say much about Rudder though I've known some successful college students who went there.

Also, there is a high diversity of students in Bryan ISD, which allows students to learn how to deal with people from many backgrounds.
SchnauzerMom
I am a product of BISD. I received a great education, am a productive member of society, and have a pretty successful life. However, I firmly believe that education starts in the home, and you have given indication you have similar thoughts. We recently purchased our first home too, and purchased in Bryan despite the low scores you often see for the schools on realtor.com and Zillow. As mentioned, Johnson Elementary is a nationally recognized Blue Ribbon School. I currently know several people with their children there, they love it. Some of them aren't even zoned for the school, but have been lucky enough to receive a transfer. Our child will go there too. Upon completion of elementary school, children have the choice of doing programs like Odyssey or INQUIRE. Upon entering HS, students can decide on the Tech Academy (might named something different now) or Hammond-Oliver if they are interested in the medical field. I am sure CSISD has similar programs, but I've never had reason to research those.
Jinx
KC_Ag14 said:

Jinx - would you mind sharing some of the things you've heard about Mary Branch and other BISD schools in West Bryan? We're zoned for these schools and have a 3 y/o that will be starting school in a couple short years. Feel free to PM if you feel more comfortable with that.

Sorry to derail OP!
The stuff I've heard was more direct experiences for some young kids at the primary schools there. That and the school's very low rating were enough to convince me to look elsewhere. Perhaps a member of this board with a first hand experience can give you a better picture.

As far as the CS vs. Bryan argument of olde, I had family also leaning on us to consider CS only. I went to school in HISD (Houston) as a kid, nothing in this county is bad

To OP, in addition to the 2 school districts, we have also looked into some of the private and charter schools. Maybe one of those might be up your alley as well!
tb9665
My son went through BISD. He now has graduated from TAMU and is attending the Bush school. He attended Johnson, SFA and Bryan High.
histag10
AG
So we are zoned for Navarro, and our kid starts kinder in the fall.

Can anyone give me their opinions on the school? I've heard good and bad. We have put in for a transfer to Mumford, but will likely be on the waitlist for a while.
techno-ag
AG
histag10 said:

Can anyone give me their opinions on the school? I've heard good and bad. We have put in for a transfer to Mumford, but will likely be on the waitlist for a while.
Had friends whose kid went to Navarro. They really liked the teachers a lot. Agreed if you can make the drive, Mumford or Iola are open enrollment schools and great choices.
Ag97
AG
I've got 2 kids in BISD currently and a wife who works for the district. Our kids have gone to Sam Houston, Sam Rayburn and I now have one in SFA.

Overall I've been pleased with the quality of education. I'm not sure about the West side schools but I know Sam Houston, Mitchell and Johnson all have very good reputations among our circle of friends.

Currently all 5th and 6th graders are put into 2 campuses (Rayburn and Jane Long) and 6th and 7th are put into Davilla and SFA. They are voting this week on building another 5th and 6th grade campus in the near future. It is needed because you currently have 1,000+ students crammed into campuses that weren't designed for those numbers.

I think in the elementary school levels the vast majority of the schools are fine to have kids at. Once they hit the middle schools, if your kids participate in the Odyssey or Inquire academies they tend to be grouped into classes with similar kids. If they are in regular classes in those grades, Bryan spreads all economic classes around to split them evenly among the campuses. A lot of these kids come from rough backgrounds and behavior follows accordingly due to parental involvement not being there to guide them.

I'm not worried about the quality of education my kids are receiving. I know plenty of families whose kids have made it through BISD and their kids go on to A&M, tu, Baylor and most other schools you would expect a decent public school system to put kids into. If you are an involved parent, your kids will do fine.

Is it rougher than CSISD? Sure. They will be exposed to lower socioeconomic demographics. It's got it's good points and bad points. Even if they live in the higher income parts of town, they will get first hand experience to see the value of education and how the lack of one effects people.
Ukraine Gas Expert
AG
Ukraine Gas Expert
AG
Jinx
This has been very helpful for sure. We are zoned for Bowen this coming year but are also checking out ILT and Allen as a, "let's see how it goes" option. Don't think we will have any issues at Bowen but since we're buying a home we have been asking the same questions
histag10
AG
aggiebman said:

histag10 said:

My kids are in Mumford now and it's amazing. I'm sad to leave but I simply cannot get kids there and make my work commute in time. Sorry, I know you asked about Navarro but wanted to pass along Mumford Intel.

Thanks! Yes, it is a drive. We live northeast of Bryan about a mile from OSR, so it wont be a horrible drive once OSR is finished (haha). I recently decided to stay home with my kids, so I would be able to make that drive if I needed to. Mumford advised that we will likely be on a waitlist for a few years.

Thought about Iola, but it's quite a drive.
halibut sinclair
We have friends whose kids are in Mitchell right now and are very happy with the education they are receiving. Our kids are older and went to Rayburn and Bryan High, graduating in the top 2%. Both graduated from A&M with honors and are doing well in their careers. As others have said, being involved with the academic programs and sports, clubs, etc. helps immensely. My wife and I were also very involved with PTO, room parents, band boosters, Viking Club, etc. throughout their school careers.
91_Aggie
AG
Unless things changed drastically for the better in the last several years, make sure you are not zoned for Davila middle school.
histag10
AG
91_Aggie said:

Unless things changed drastically for the better in the last several years, make sure you are not zoned for Davila middle school.

That is precisely where we are zoned....
tinybutmighty
We have two kids in Bryan ISD schools. We have been very pleased with their education (from elementary school to high school).

Has anyone had any issues with the universities in Texas accepting the transfer credits from Bryan

Collegiate?

CEAg78
AG
histag10 said:

91_Aggie said:

But that is the site for one of the magnet programs, I believe.
CEAg78
AG
tinybutmighty said:

We have two kids in Bryan ISD schools. We have been very pleased with their education (from elementary school to high school).

Has anyone had any issues with the universities in Texas accepting the transfer credits from Bryan

Collegiate?

Those credits come from Blinn College, not the high school.
flyguysr5
2 daughters graduated from there one finished A&M with a Masters in 4 yrs the other graduated from UT in 3. Best deal in town but your kids have to be serious about their education and not expecting a lot of hand holding. Can't say enough good things about the staff.
BrazosWifi
histag10 said:

aggiebman said:

histag10 said:

My kids are in Mumford now and it's amazing. I'm sad to leave but I simply cannot get kids there and make my work commute in time. Sorry, I know you asked about Navarro but wanted to pass along Mumford Intel.

Thanks! Yes, it is a drive. We live northeast of Bryan about a mile from OSR, so it wont be a horrible drive once OSR is finished (haha). I recently decided to stay home with my kids, so I would be able to make that drive if I needed to. Mumford advised that we will likely be on a waitlist for a few years.

We live in the same area. The Sam Houston elementary school is fantastic. So is Mitchell.

I wouldn't ever consider driving my kids to Mumford if I was zoned for one of those two. (We have been in both).
Sponsor Message: http://BrazosWiFi.com | Fast and reliable internet for the Brazos Valley | info@BrazosWiFi.com | 979-999-7000
91_Aggie
AG
CEAg78 said:

histag10 said:

91_Aggie said:

But that is the site for one of the magnet programs, I believe.
Maybe it got better
fcag
AG
To the OP...

The fact that you are doing the research and care about where your kids go to school means it really doesn't matter where they go, they will excel. It doesn't matter where they go if they have parents that stay involved.

Personally, I have three kids at various stages in Bryan ISD. They all started at Johnson and now are at Rayburn (Odyssey), SFA (Odyssey), and Collegiate.

One thing about Collegiate that I didn't realize until we applied is that there are no buses, so parents have to get their students there every morning and pick them up every afternoon. It's part of the commitment to the Collegiate program.
JP76
If anyone is looking for a Johnson zoned house in Bryan, I am fixing to have a 4/2 on the end of a culdesac for sale. ~2100 ft from Johnson school. Anyone interested can reach me at

jpp_76@hotmail.com
histag10
AG
BrazosWifi said:

histag10 said:

aggiebman said:

histag10 said:

We live in the same area. The Sam Houston elementary school is fantastic. So is Mitchell.

I wouldn't ever consider driving my kids to Mumford if I was zoned for one of those two. (We have been in both).

Yes, and I wish we had found something on the other side of Tabor Rd so we could end upbat Mitchell or Sam. Unfortunately, everything between Tabor Rd and OSR is zoned Navarro. But I have heard it is getting better.
Birddog
AG
fcag said:

To the OP...

The fact that you are doing the research and care about where your kids go to school means it really doesn't matter where they go, they will excel. It doesn't matter where they go if they have parents that stay involved.

So so true. Having multiple children go thru BISD and graduate from A&M, parental involvement is key. There will be much more important things to worry about than what elementary school you are zoned for.
techno-ag
AG
tinybutmighty said:

Collegiate?

The credits are earned at Blinn College and seamlessly transfer anywhere in the state. It's one of the best deals around. The district essentially pays tuition for students to go to college. If you can get your kid in, absolutely go for it.
IWannaGoFast1
AG
ringrit
Bryan ISD is doing a showcase this Saturday at Rudder High School from 10am - 2pm. Opportunity to see many of the schools and talk to many of the leaders! www.bryanisd.org/showcase
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.