Tell me about Bryan ISD

7,489 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by mamagutz
Ukraine Gas Expert
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
stinkerbelle
91_Aggie said:

Unless things changed drastically for the better in the last several years, make sure you are not zoned for Davila middle school.
My daughter is in her 2nd year at Davila. We have had 0 issues there. She loves it there. She makes good grades and has a lot of friends. I don't know what he issues were there a few years ago, but the past 2 school years have been good for us.
Red Krow
Long story super short

We bought our home in Bryan without thinking of the schools. When the kids got close to school age we were very nervous about putting them in BISD. We thought about home school, Kor, Brazos Christian, Mumford, or even moving to College Station. We ended up putting them in Bryan schools.

We are super happy with the education they are receiving! Bryan ISD has been great for our kids and family. They started at Mitchel, then Branch, now they are both in the Odyssey program at Sam Rayburn. There are issues at all schools in every town and city. None of them are perfect. Be involved, get to know your kid's teachers, go to the school events. These are the most important things no matter where they go to school.

We are very glad we decided to stay in Bryan and send our kids to BISD. Our kids have had amazing teachers and principals who have really cared about them.
BluHorseShu
AG
aggiebman said:

Howdy Ags!

I'm in the process of relocating to the BCS area, and I've been looking at homes in College Station due to the school district primarily, but I still look at places in Bryan due to cost.

Does anyone have direct experience with the schools in Bryan? They don't grade out very well on Realtor, but I am not certain how much I trust the data. Any schools to absolutely avoid, or anyone have kids in local schools (besides private) they can comment on?

My kids will be in elementary and soon to be middle school. Also, I live close to BCS already so I'm familiar with the towns per se but haven't ever really looked at schools until now due to job relocation.

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
OP, I was born and raised in Bryan and attended BISD. My wife has taught in both BISD and CISD and our kids have attended both. Both districts are good. Do whats best for you and don't listen to any realtor or website trying to get you to purchase a home solely to be in CISD. Unfortunately some realtors around here are notorious for pushing people to CS and in my opinion its either because the home prices can be slightly higher, or they are a transplant to the area and all they know is CISD.
TxFig
AG
I know this isn't exactly what you were asking for ... but just in case you've ever thought about it,

BCS has a HUGE homeschool community. For a town our size, we have groups to do virtually anything and everything you might want to take part in. My wife & I homeschooled all 3 of our daughters from the early 1990's through graduation in the late 2000's.

You can call/email me if you want more information about this option.
chris@txbarnes.com
979-220-0004
--
Chris Barnes
Retired A&M IT geek - now beekeeper
http://www.cornerstonehoneybees.com/
halibut sinclair
mamagutz
We have four kids and all have been at Bryan schools since the beginning. They all went through Sam Houston and then Odyssey (3 just at SFA and one now at Rayburn). Our oldest went through Collegiate and is excelling at his college. He should be done with a challenging program in 3 years due to all his credits and was well prepared for college. Our girls are currently at Bryan High and absolutely love it. Yes, it's a big school and yes there are issues but they are getting a very well rounded education and the Fine Arts program is top notch. One has done the IB program and it has been very hard for her but she has stuck with it. It personally drives me crazy to hear all the negative stuff from people that have never had kids in the schools. Yes, there are issues but there will be issues everywhere. Be involved, know what's going on and talk to your kids. There is a whole lot more to learn through school than academics and I think BISD has done an excellent job with our kids of giving them that. I love that we have been able to choose the programs for our kids that help them excel and BISD has lots of options for that. There is even a GT program for elementary now that we would have loved for our youngest had that been an option for him.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.