rural internet options?

1,975 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by tfunk02
RunSilentRunDeep
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We recently moved to an area of Brazos County where there is no cable. So internet options are DSL (Frontier), satellite (Hughesnet, etc.) or local option (CEO).

Any opinions on these options from those that have/had any of these providers.

Looking just for internet services, not TV.

Thanks in advance.
techno-ag
AG
Brazos WiFi or an unlimited data plan on your cellphone are likely your best options.
histag10
AG
We use Rise because BrazosWifi isnt in our area. We have had no issues and stream all of our tv content.
tfunk02
AG
I couldn't get Brazos or CEO so I tried Rise and was lucking to have 3Mbps down and latency up to 400ms.

That lead me down a rabbit hole of 4G LTE based internet. I now constantly get 75 down and 30+ up with 50ms latency. It does vary, but it has worked well for my situation. Here's a LONG thread with all of the information...

https://texags.com/forums/30/topics/3026369
BrazosWifi
Howdy!

We'd be happy to check your address for either our wireless or fiber internet coverage.
Shoot me an e-mail (in my signature) and I will check in the morning when we get to the office.

Thanks,
Jim
Sponsor Message: http://BrazosWiFi.com | Fast and reliable internet for the Brazos Valley | info@BrazosWiFi.com | 979-999-7000
BrazosWifi
tfunk02 said:

I couldn't get Brazos or CEO so I tried Rise and was lucking to have 3Mbps down and latency up to 400ms.

That lead me down a rabbit hole of 4G LTE based internet. I now constantly get 75 down and 30+ up with 50ms latency. It does vary, but it has worked well for my situation. Here's a LONG thread with all of the information...

I know you are having good success with this but it is going to dry up some day when AT&T decides to cut off all the "unlimited" resellers. I don't mind people using it (I actually have one of the accounts as a backup for my house) but people need to go into things with their eyes WIDE OPEN as to what they are signing up for.
Sponsor Message: http://BrazosWiFi.com | Fast and reliable internet for the Brazos Valley | info@BrazosWiFi.com | 979-999-7000
Cholula Verde
AG
BrazosWifi said:

Howdy!

We'd be happy to check your address for either our wireless or fiber internet coverage.
Shoot me an e-mail (in my signature) and I will check in the morning when we get to the office.

Thanks,
Jim
You are the best! So thankful you decided to start this business. Happy customer since 2014! Whoop!
tfunk02
AG
BrazosWifi said:

tfunk02 said:

I know you are having good success with this but it is going to dry up some day when AT&T decides to cut off all the "unlimited" resellers. I don't mind people using it (I actually have one of the accounts as a backup for my house) but people need to go into things with their eyes WIDE OPEN as to what they are signing up for.
This has been stated before and is stated in the linked thread multiple times.

It is a rabbit hole that can cause frustration, but $60/month and $100ish in equipment to get your foot in the door is a lot less of a risk than building a tower to get a spotty WISPs crappy 3Mbps service (This is not saying your service is bad. I know it isn't). You are also not locked in to paying for multiple months. It is month-to-month. The risk can be VERY low.

Even going crazy like I did with 4 external antennas on the roof with 2 modems didn't cost as much as a tower. That was my justification for going all in on equipment.

I also have a prepaid Verizon wireless plan that is Unlimited but is last in line at the tower for about $60/month as fall over. As long as I don't fail to pay, I should be grandfathered in on that for a long time.

I figure all of this should hold me over until StarLink or a WISP with decent service comes to one of the 15+ towers I can see from my roof.

I've been on OTR for over a year now, and this is a pretty typical month of service...
SARATOGA

STARLINK

Service for North America by the end of the year.
SARATOGA
tfunk....

I'd like to know more about what you did.

We are not only rural, but bottomland (low elevation), with lots of trees. Wife could work from home more if we had stable internet.

We used to have AT&T "Unlimited" but service was ZERO at our house. After talking to AT&T rep, and on their advice we switched to Verizon, and now at least have SOME slow service at the house, and so we can use, phones, iPad etc now. Again, AT&T was ZERO.

Did you just buy an additional antenna, and some kind of booster to get better cell signal ?

We've thought tower too, but with elevation that may even have to be taller. So I've been waiting on Starlink to see what develops there.
tfunk02
AG
There can be a lot of trial and error, and your situation is worse than mine. I'm near the top of a hill going down to the Brazos and can see into South College Station and Snook. I get 1 to no bars in the house with no help, but since I have line of sight to towers I can get full bars with 15dbi gain antennas pointed right at the tower.

Your best bet may be to get a booster. I'd do a kit like this...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RHMFQTO

That should bring your cell phone coverage to good in the house. You could then put a 4G LTE modem next to the indoor antenna to supply internet to the house. The problem with a booster is that it limits you to one signal in one signal out so you can't take advantage of the new MIMO (multiple in multiple out) technologies in modems. Speeds can still be up to 50 or maybe 60Mbps if you can get a full boosted signal. It will really depend on the quality of the signal you are boosting.

The other option is to try just antennas to take advantage of the MIMO technology. This can get you over 100Mbps if the tower can support it and if you can get a good enough signal. In your situation I don't think that is likely.

I have a feeling the booster method is your best bet, but it would take trial and error. I have some antennas and modems from my trials and errors that I should be selling that I wouldn't mind you trying if you are in the area.

Do read through that thread if you have time. There are a lot of different situations and stories told in there, and will give you a grasp of what you are getting into.
RunSilentRunDeep
Brazoswifi - Thanks, I did email you last week before I saw your post here. I will be contacting the person ref a tower that you gave me and get back with you.

tfunk - from your description, you are at least in the same general area as us. We have purchased a weboost, I just haven't installed it yet. I may message you this week. Thanks.
tfunk02
AG
RunSilentRunDeep said:

tfunk - from your description, you are at least in the same general area as us. We have purchased a weboost, I just haven't installed it yet. I may message you this week. Thanks.
My email is my user name at gmail.com. I can bring over some of my stuff and we can see what works. It's a fun little hobby for me.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.