Brazos CAD Question

2,841 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Counterpoint
waltonloads11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I just purchase a new build and I received a notice on my door stating they need to come inside my home to measure the 2nd floor of the house.

Is this standard practice?

I am a little hesitant to allow them to come inside, is there a way around it?
KaneIsAble
AG
Me: "what second floor?"

Seriously though not sure but will be watching this thread.
cavscout96
AG
I've never heard if this. Seems a little odd. I would figure most CADs just measure the roof and x2, generally speaking.
AgProgrammer
AG
I don't think you have to let them in. However, they may "estimate" the square footage of the second floor and might estimate a little high. Thus forcing you to come in and show them actual blueprints or allow them to measure it to get an accurate square footage.

When we built our new barndominium, Grimes County way overestimated the living space square footage just so they could get more details on the number of beds, baths, fixtures, trim, size, etc etc. It's a racket.
EBrazosAg
AG
Interestingly, when you live outside city limits, the trigger for them watching you - at least in the past - was the septic permitting system ..... it's a racket for sure.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
rodan85
AG
TellMeMore
While we're on the topic of second floors, when comes to your house,one thought is the second floor should be appraised at a lower number than the first floor
SARATOGA
NO

NO

NO NO NO

You make your judgements from the road. You do not have permission to be on my property !
aggiepaintrain
AG
unless they over value it, no way you let them in
dallasiteinsa02
I got in a six month dispute with them over square footage on the second floor. I told them to come to the house and see it for themselves. It would have fixed the problem. They said they will not go into a finished home under any circumstances. Ended up having to get an appraisal done to measure the second floor. They still wouldn't take it. My second floor is off by about 500 square feet. Their estimate runs against the building plans, the survey, and the appraisers measurements.

In 2020, I plan on going through the full process and to court, if necessary.
txgardengirl
That seems very odd. Normally they go off of builder plans or perimeter measurements

I've not known them to enter occupied homes
montegobay
When we moved into our new house this summer, they sent a letter asking for closing documents, too. Made it sound like a standard requirement. I threw the letter in the trash.
taxpreparer
AG
waltonloads11 said:

I just purchase a new build and I received a notice on my door stating they need to come inside my home to measure the 2nd floor of the house.

Is this standard practice?

I am a little hesitant to allow them to come inside, is there a way around it?
You just purchased a new build; the closing documents tell them the value of the house and land. We built a hose that has twenty-three foot ceilings in the living room; form the outside it appears there is a 2nd story, but there is not. (Except for the attic space over the kitchen)
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
Rex Racer
AG
montegobay said:

When we moved into our new house this summer, they sent a letter asking for closing documents, too. Made it sound like a standard requirement. I threw the letter in the trash.
We just bought a lot outside of town, and they sent us the same letter. I, too, threw it in the trash.
Turf96
Just another attempt for the government to take what you earned and make it their own. Good luck and keep your doors locked OP.
waltonloads11
AG
Thanks for all the feedback and responses. I'm gonna avoid them from coming inside as much or as long as possible. I even went about telling my wife what to say or do if they ever come knocking when I'm not home. If they need square footage, I will be happy to show them the floor plan, but not come inside.
dubi
AG
Quote:

I'm gonna avoid them from coming inside as much or as long as possible.
Just say no.
RGRAg1/75
AG
AgProgrammer said:

I don't think you have to let them in. However, they may "estimate" the square footage of the second floor and might estimate a little high. Thus forcing you to come in and show them actual blueprints or allow them to measure it to get an accurate square footage.

When we built our new barndominium, Grimes County way overestimated the living space square footage just so they could get more details on the number of beds, baths, fixtures, trim, size, etc etc. It's a racket.

Odds are they'll eff up their estimate somewhere anyway, thus forcing them to come in to dispute. BCAD is just flat bad at what they do.
Counterpoint
AG
They thought my one story house had two stories.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.