Question for the board: local kids attending A&M

3,235 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by ElephantRider
ElephantRider
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Have been talking with a company in CS and considering making the jump. I would love to move back to CS and I think my non-Aggie wife is on-board with the idea. My question is about kids (currently have one 15-month old and another on the way). I would love nothing more than for them to go to A&M. Will they want to if they grow up right down the road? Anyone have any experience/input they can share?
RJ3
AG
I moved back to College Station from Austin 3 years ago and currently have a 2 year old and he absolutely loves all things A&M after I've taken him to football, basketball, and baseball games. It's an experience you wouldn't be able to get living in another city. We completely love living here.

I grew up in Austin and my dad always brought me to A&M sporting events and I never had any thought of going anywhere else besides A&M. Our house was about 3 miles from ut and I have a bunch of friends that grew up ut fans and ended up going there for school.

Every situation is different. I think a lot depends on how much they love the school or how badly they want to get away from mom and dad.

JaneDoe02
AG
Every May my church recognizes the graduating high school seniors and they say what the kids plans are, whether it's college, trade school, military, work force, whatever.

It seems like every year about 50% of them are going to attend A&M, and the other 50% make up the rest of the options.

I think growing up in Aggieland encourages them to go to A&M more than it discourages them.

halibut sinclair
I am a Bryan native, wife is not. We both graduated from other universities. Our kids grew up here, both graduated from Bryan High with honors and graduated from A&M. They didn't consider any other schools. Make sure they live on campus at least freshman year.
Donny Hall
We grew up here. Lots of kids from highschool got into A&M. Some kids were crushed when they were not accepted.

Some kids need space from parents during college years so I think it depends on what your relationship is like.

That being said, I attended a trade school and my brother attended A&M.

I want both of my sons to go to A&M lol
4lilmonkeys
Neither of us are Aggies and we didn't grow up here (I'm from Fort Worth and my family is full of Aggies though). Our oldest graduated from A&M Consolidated High School in 2018 and is at Texas A&M. He was always my kid that couldn't get out of here fast enough so we were surprised when he applied. After he was accepted he was hesitant to go, worried that it would be like high school all over again, but has found his group of people and plenty of things to be involved in. He seems to be thriving and happy there and we're happy he's close by.
TxSquarebody
A&M's culture runs deep. My son grew up here and couldn't wait to enter A&M and join the Corps.
BaitShack
AG
I went to high school in College Station then to A&M. It took a little away from the experience because I had already been going to A&M activities (Bonfire, football etc..) while in high school. At the time my high school didn't have a football stadium, we played on Kyle Field.

My daughter went to College Station High School and recently got accepted to A&M. She loves it.

91_Aggie
AG
My kids grew up here. Oldest daughter is 19 and she really wanted to leave CS and not live here

But she hated her visit to UT. And Tech was never going to be an option.

She is in 2nd year now and loving it. She went to Fish Camp, was part of an AFC, and she gives tours of A&M now.

However she lived in dorm first year and has an apartment with 3 friends this year. I am pretty sure she would be miserable if she was living at home with us. So take that into account.
turfman80
AG
Both my sons went to A&M and didnt want to go anywhere else
Yeah, well, sometimes nothing is a real cool hand
bigh281
I recently graduated from A&M and grew up here in CS. I'd say out of all of my friends, those that didn't go to A&M were DEAD SET going somewhere else for whatever reason (family alum, sports, certain programs, etc.). I saw a stat somewhere that the CS schools were around #2 and #3 of the schools that had the most incoming freshmen into A&M.

Now, those that didn't get in (like me) went to Blinn and transferred in. Most of us that didn't get in went to Blinn. Opposed to going somewhere else.

I only had one friend that lived at home their freshman year. Absolutely terrible and hated it! Everyone else lived in dorms or apartments. I lived off campus and still got to go by my parents' for dinner every so often, saw them at church, etc. I'd recommend living out of the house for sure!

Maybe A&M will have more parking by the time your kids get there! Hope this helps.
Bullpen Chias
AG
I'm an Aggie. My wife has converted. Moved family here from out of state when son was entering 4th and daughter entering 8th. She's a senior now and wants to go away for school. Son is in 8th and says he will go to A&M unless he "gets into Stanford or a place like that". I would have had a better chance of both going to A&M if we lived further away, but every kid/family is different. Good luck with your decision. I love living here.
16 years is a long time. You might not live in College Station by the time your kids go to college. Our kids were born here and oldest kid is now in junior year at a university on west coast. Loves it. Middle kid left high school early and started at Blinn with plans to transfer to A&M. Loves it. Youngest is in high school and goes back and forth. If our weather here is awful, the west coast calls. That said, oldest is already making plans for graduate school at A&M. Oldest says it's good to go away and it's great to come home. I like that.
ukbb2003
I grew up in College Station and I decided I wanted to get away for a little bit. I think a lot depends on the kid. I moved back to CS with wife and kids in 2013 and don't plan on moving.
MiMi
S
I am not an Aggie but moved here 30 years ago to join the faculty at TAMU. I have 3 children that have grown up in College Station. While 2 are still in high school, my college-age child is a junior at Sam Houston State University. He prefers the smaller campus at SHSU and it has an excellent program in his degree field. Some of his classmates are at TAMU but others are attending college elsewhere in Texas or out of state. I don't think living near campus necessarily means they will be naturally drawn to going there.
basketaggie
AG
Our oldest flat out told us for him going to A&M would be like continuing high school. To be fair, he was very active in one of the departments while in HS. He ended up going out of state his first year. Loved it and thrived, but decided to come back for in state tuition. He's at another school in Texas (you can guess which one, LOL). Loves it there. Our other boys seem to want to spread their wings too. Several of our neighbors have kids that went to A&M, some living on campus, some at home. Some going to Blinn and transferring in. And lots of kids we know that went out of CS. You never know honestly, everyone is different!

That said CS is a FANTASTIC town to raise a family. We've been more than happy that we made the move.
scd88
AG
Moved here 8 yeas ago between semesters when my son was in the middle of the 9th grade and my daughter was in the middle of her 6th grade. My wife is not an Aggie and we moved from Fredericksburg, VA.

My son was always an Aggie as I had been taking him to games and such for a while. It took a while for my wife to get acclimated to all things maroon. I was sure my daughter would end up at another school besides A&M.

Fast forward, we all took some lumps getting adjusted to being here. Both kids graduated from CSHS. Son graduated from A&M a year ago and my daughter is a sophomore at A&M.

We are not moving until retirement and that remains to be seen, also. We like it here.
EVA3
AG
I grew up here (many generations Bryan native) and went to A&M. I loved every minute and can't imagine going anywhere else. My father and grandfather did the same.

Going to school at A&M is nothing like growing up here. As others have said, live on campus for at least the first year or two. It makes all the difference in the world.
Psychag
AG
Not saying you are one of those parents but when the time comes, you need to let your child choose where he/she attends college (if that's what he/she wants to do). I am an Aggie grad and wanted my son to experience life wherever he chose (within financial reason). I had my journey now it is time for his.
Koko Chingo
AG
Here is what I have seen from the other side, teaching students.

It all depends on your relationship and household dynamics. The local students that have a hard time seem to be those who have conflicting responsibilities at home and school (Corps, Student Org, etc.).

They may be expected to pick up a sibling from school or practice on a regular basis or consistently look after a sibling because the parents always travel. I hear those students complain the most.

Otherwise, the local students get to serve as a tour guide and get to show their new friends places outside of the bus route and Northgate.
jfb88
My kids were all raised in CS and I have 4 Aggies and one sip. All we're excited to go to A&M and loved every minute of it.
TAMU1990
AG
Lots of kids locally go to A&M - don't let that stop you from moving here. It's an awesome place to raise a family.
Jetty
AG
Both our kids were born here... neither likes sports we tried! They both applied only to A&M...both graduated and have great jobs and live in Austin...
agnerd
AG
CS kid that went to A&M, but most of my friends went to t.u. The biggest difference was that their parents were constantly pushing them to have the highest grades in the school, and those kids resented them for it and left as soon as they could. I was trying to beat those kids because I WANTED TO (parents didn't really understand or care), and ended up getting Ivy league offers because of it. But I didn't hate my parents and A&M engineering was ranked just a few places below them for 20% of the cost. So I decided to stay. In hindsight, it was awesome knowing campus and the city better than any of the seniors on campus, and knowing half your professors because you went to school with their kids.

And for the 10th time, BCS kids should be required to live on campus freshman year so that they meet new people instead of just hanging out with high school friends.
91_Aggie
AG
agnerd said:

And for the 10th time, BCS kids should be required to live on campus freshman year so that they meet new people instead of just hanging out with high school friends.
Definitely this.
If you have the financial ability, don't make your kids live at home.
1. It gives them a better experience and stretches them especially socially.
2. They will likely be happier unless they are truly mama's boys/girls.
3. You don't want them living with you after they graduate

My daughter was so worried about missing her high school friends and having to make new friends.
Within the first week of Howdy week, she had met a ton of new people and made new friends very quickly.

Don't be the Mother in the Pink Floyd song
Geralt of Rivia
S
I grew up here. Both of my siblings went to A&M, and then moved out of state/country after graduating. I left CS for college, and then realized that I missed it and moved back after graduating
GeographyAg
AG
Mr GeographyAg grew up in CS. We met there during college and both graduated from A&M.

His brothers never left Aggieland, though they didn't go to college at all. They love all things Aggie.

We plan to retire to CS. It's changed a lot since we were in school. There are a lot more jobs and opportunities these days. I can't wait to move back. It's home.
If I’m posting, it’s actually Mrs GeographyAg.
Mr. GeographyAg is a dedicated lurker.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
Know quite a few current students that grew up around here.

Their decision will likely largely depend on if you make them live at home or not.
scd88
AG
You're right about having the local kids live in dorms. Neither of my kids lived at home during their time at A&M. They need the college experience.

That said, we have (and continue to) hosted several dinners and lunches for our kids friends. Home cooked meals for the out of town kids is always a hit! We have become study hall during finals, too; not just for our kids, but their friends.

There are a lot of benefits to being this close for everyone.
ElephantRider
AG
Thanks for all of the input, everyone. Obviously, college is a long way off for mine but I'm just trying to consider everything before uprooting.

Quote:

Not saying you are one of those parents but when the time comes, you need to let your child choose where he/she attends college (if that's what he/she wants to do). I am an Aggie grad and wanted my son to experience life wherever he chose (within financial reason). I had my journey now it is time for his.
Definitely not planning to force them. I would just hate for them to not want to go to A&M because of a decision I made. I know I wanted to get away from my hometown as fast as I could, but it was also an East Texas ****hole with 2,000 people.

I would, however, force them to not live at home if they did choose A&M.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.