College Station Utilities - Online Bill Payment Down

3,578 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by MisterShipWreck
davido
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Over a month offline. Anyone hear anything besides their public site info?

https://cstx.gov/news/what_s_new/potential_data_security_event

https://cstx.gov/news/what_s_new/additional_utility_customer_service_resources
SW AG80
AG
I called them. The data breach was with the third party CS used for that billing. They no longer take credit cards for online billing just drafts from bank accounts.
95_Aggie
AG
I think they are currently looking for another 3rd party billing vendor.
AggieBarstool
Replacing a payment vendor can best be measured in months or years. Not gonna happen in a month.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
What incentive do they have to quickly get back online?

It's not like they're going to lose your business.
95_Aggie
AG
I assume this is causing them to do more work on their end.
91_Aggie
AG

nm looks like they actually are doing something to make sure they have more people able to help.

Be nice if they would open up the drive thru lanes again.

rc_cat
I wonder how many people were stuck with late charges when the offices were closed 12/23 and 12/24 and customers were trying to pay in person.
dubi
AG
SW AG80 said:

I called them. The data breach was with the third party CS used for that billing. They no longer take credit cards for online billing just drafts from bank accounts.

They will take a credit card if you use the automated phone line.
davido
AG
AggieBarstool said:

Replacing a payment vendor can best be measured in months or years. Not gonna happen in a month.

I get that they wouldn't necessarily have an automated system that's tied into everything up in 6 weeks, but it seems like they could get something online (static secure form) that would allow you to enter your contact info, account number, and make a payment by CC. Then they could reconcile them on the back end, but it's still a lot faster (on both end of the transaction) than talking to someone.
dubi
AG
davido said:

AggieBarstool said:

I get that they wouldn't necessarily have an automated system that's tied into everything up in 6 weeks, but it seems like they could get something online (static secure form) that would allow you to enter your contact info, account number, and make a payment by CC. Then they could reconcile them on the back end, but it's still a lot faster (on both end of the transaction) than talking to someone.
You can use their automated phone system to enter a credit card. IT IS NOT A PERSON!
davido
AG
Got it. Phone is a lot slower than copy/paste. Many accounts. Heavily reliant on autopay.
MiMi
S
Quote:

Be nice if they would open up the drive thru lanes again.
I was disappointed when the drive-thru was shut down. I never used it during business hours but liked the convenience of the after-hours drop-box that was there. Even after the drive-thru was closed, the drop-box was still available. I just dropped my payment off in the box when I was doing my weekend errands. Since the drop box was taken away, I have either paid it in person or put a check in the mail.
new straw
Ummm. I got an email that said that if we were set up for auto draft from a bank account, we are all good. Is this wrong?
dubi
AG
new straw said:

Ummm. I got an email that said that if we were set up for auto draft from a bank account, we are all good. Is this wrong?
You are fine.

It was only credit card drafts that had a problem.
new straw
Awesome! Thank you! Recently had a bank card compromised, so have been dealing with all that recently.
91_Aggie
AG
I paid using the automated epay phone number. Nice and simple. Put phone desk while watching football game and just entered everything during prompts.

rc_cat
Just to clarify - because I am stupid sometimes - the credit card system used over the phone is different than the compromised on-line cc system?
dubi
AG
rc_cat said:

Just to clarify - because I am stupid sometimes - the credit card system used over the phone is different than the compromised on-line cc system?
Yes, the credit card auto pay system that would charge you automatically every month has been taken down.

The phone system that you can call each month and enter your credit card number manually is still operational.
rc_cat
dubi said:

rc_cat said:

Yes, the credit card auto pay system that would charge you automatically every month has been taken down.

The phone system that you can call each month and enter your credit card number manually is still operational.
I got that part - sorry for not being more clear - is the "bucket" your credit card number is going into when you pay by phone a different "bucket" than the hacked one your number went into when you paid online?
dubi
AG
Quote:

I got that part - sorry for not being more clear - is the "bucket" your credit card number is going into when you pay by phone a different "bucket" than the hacked one your number went into when you paid online?
Yes, they are completely different systems.

The phone system is old and i suspect does not retain your credit card number after it is processed.

The web system that was outsourced to another company and was breached, stored your credit card information and allowed for automatic payments to that card each month.
rc_cat
Got it! Thanks a bunch!
davido
AG
In case everyone hasn't seen, the new system is live. You'll have to set it all up again with new payment info.
MisterShipWreck
Yes, I used it at the end of the month (June). I was surprised to find it available
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.