BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2020)

472,977 Views | 1570 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Slocum on a mobile
TommyBrady
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That would be absolutely incredible if one of those went in near that corner of College and University. I doubt it would happen, but it would be awesome if it did.
meinkee
dgonzo99 said:

Houston right now is the only area getting the multi-story HEBs, because their is not enough land in the inner city for the standard HEB. I had heard that a smaller grocery store like ALDI was trying to go in across from campus. If HEB was going to go in close to campus, they would probably go in the old Albertsons. I think they own that building. There is really no land to put one on between Texas and Wellborn unless they buy Northgate and tear it down. I doubt that would happen. Northgate is about 20% of the tax base of CS.
Hasn't the Old Albertsons been demolished?
Counterpoint
AG
meinkee said:

dgonzo99 said:

Houston right now is the only area getting the multi-story HEBs, because their is not enough land in the inner city for the standard HEB. I had heard that a smaller grocery store like ALDI was trying to go in across from campus. If HEB was going to go in close to campus, they would probably go in the old Albertsons. I think they own that building. There is really no land to put one on between Texas and Wellborn unless they buy Northgate and tear it down. I doubt that would happen. Northgate is about 20% of the tax base of CS.

The OTHER old Albertsons.
australopithecus robustus
HEB does NOT own the old Albertsons. The owner of A+ tutoring does. Heb is leasing it from him. That lease has a couple years left I think.
happyinBCS
It is on LoopNet for 8.00 sf/yr 84000 sq ft sublease, so you are saying the HEB is leasing it and it seems like they would like to recoup their money so they will sublease it to anyone but a grocery store
Wicked Good Ag
They got a fairly inexpensive rate from A+ likely based upon an agreement that would allow A+ to control the parking lot for traffic and parking flow for their business
Rex Racer
AG
Counterpoint said:

meinkee said:

dgonzo99 said:

The old Randall's.
australopithecus robustus
This is a lease leftover from the former landlord. It was part of the larger trade that heb did with Albertsons years ago. It included a Kerrville store and a smattering of others I believe. A+ doesn't need a parking agreement for their own parking lot. They are the landlord
TXCityGirl
I heard that Porter's in Century Sq. is closing. Is this confirmed or published anywhere?
bcstx06
TXCityGirl said:

I heard that Porter's in Century Sq. is closing. Is this confirmed or published anywhere?

I hope not. I haven't tried it yet. If it is closing I will say that many of the retail and dinning establishments in Century Square are far too expensive. They need places like H&M to bring in people with modest incomes.
Captn_Ag05
AG
I hope that isn't true! if so, that would be the third Century Square location in the past couple of weeks. I wonder if lease incentives ran out or something...
MS08
AG
That would be disappointing as I want business and restaurants to succeed. However, this would not surprise me. I thought Porter's was underwhelming and left a lot to be desired in the few times I went there. Especially for the price point. I think Poppy is way better, offers more variety, and is more committed to building flavor and using creativity in their offerings.
Sleepnumber
AG
TXCityGirl said:

Had lunch there yesterday. Was there for a hour and a half. 6 total customers. Pretty sad.
thann07
AG
Parking at Century Square is a big issue. Nobody wants to go up 5 flights in a garage, and nobody wants to pay to park at surface level.

I get why they need to have people pay (prevent student parking and walking to campus), but it's a real deterrent to the casual consumer.

The light cycles around Northgate and University in general suck pretty bad too. There seems to be more reasons to want to avoid that area than go in and do business there.
jja79
AG
Too many other options to Century Square. We haven't been in 6 months and really have no plans to go back. The parking situation isn't necessary. If parking were complimentary and business increased then rental rates would increase. Looks like a bad plan to me.
JMac03
AG
thann07 said:

Parking at Century Square is a big issue. Nobody wants to go up 5 flights in a garage, and nobody wants to pay to park at surface level.

I get why they need to have people pay (prevent student parking and walking to campus), but it's a real deterrent to the casual consumer.

The light cycles around Northgate and University in general suck pretty bad too. There seems to be more reasons to want to avoid that area than go in and do business there.
I think I am more irritated they went from $1 to $2 for the first hour. I know its only a buck, but still.
Bunk Moreland
I think the entire parking lot & layout sucks at Century Square...it isn't just the garage.
JayHowdy!
Bunk Moreland said:

I think the entire parking lot & layout sucks at Century Square...it isn't just the garage.
It will only get worse once they add the two proposed buildings on University Drive.
techno-ag
AG
thann07 said:

Spot on. Those who knew this town unequivocally stated that charging for parking was a bad idea when they started it. The usual online suspects guffawed and said to get used to the idea. Looks like time has proven the right side of the issue correct once again.
dgonzo99
I've heard complaints that hardly anybody knows what stores and restaurants are even there. I don't believe I have ever seen any signs with tenant names. Plus why spend all that money on parking? You can go a few blocks east or go Downtown and get something just as good if not better and get free parking and pay less for the meal.
chickencoupe16
AG
My wife and I love being able to eat at the movie theater and we have gone to Sweet Paris several times. I would be incredibly sad if the theater closed and disappointed if Sweet Paris closed. Other than that, I have no reason to ever go there and couldn't care less about the other businesses.
Monywolf
saray said:

TXCityGirl said:

Had lunch there yesterday. Was there for a hour and a half. 6 total customers. Pretty sad.
I had dinner there on Saturday evening and there was a wait for tables. They aren't going anywhere. New owners have taken over and will be taking over Poppy's as well. Turning it into a Mexican food restaurant. The manager has previous experience with Cyclone Anayas.

Should be good.
EBrazosAg
AG
Met one of the retail clothing stores founder in Athens Ga. He wasn't happy about the parking issues at CS. Said the lessees were universally displeased with the landlord and the way they have handled it.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AggiePhil
AG
Counterpoint said:

meinkee said:

dgonzo99 said:

There are/were three old Albertson's. Two on University and one on Harvey Mitchell.
AggiePhil
AG
Monywolf said:

saray said:

TXCityGirl said:

I had dinner there on Saturday evening and there was a wait for tables. They aren't going anywhere. New owners have taken over and will be taking over Poppy's as well. Turning it into a Mexican food restaurant. The manager has previous experience with Cyclone Anayas.

Should be good.
Turning which into a Mexican restaurant? Porter's or Poppy's?
trouble
AG
And one in Bryan
johnnyblaze36
AG
thann07 said:

This has been driving me absolutely insane for quite some time now. What can be done about it? The no right turn on red signs are ridiculous but even worse is the cycling.

If you are attempting to go left onto University from Boyett or Tauber or S College it will let 3-5 cars go before turning red again. I've counted and it stays green for less than ten seconds. If you miss the light you have to wait around three minutes to turn again.

I live by NG and it took me 13 minutes to get from my front door to the NG post office to put a letter in the drop box. It's maddening. Fortunately I have the back entrance route to Century Square so don't have any issues there.
summergal
Agreed! I work in NG and the light situation is ridiculous. What's even worse is the foot traffic that ignore the signals. I yelled at kids this morning because they thought it was OK to cross the street when it was clearly marked. YOU ARE NOT ENTITLED! Don't get me started on jaywalking.
TXAG 05
AG
ajolly said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

Boonville/University is probably the location that makes the most sense.

The City has been pushing for an urban grocery store concept for the Northgate/Century Square area for a couple of years. Since HEB recently built a couple of Urban concept stores (Houston store below as example), I could also see that as a possibility.

Im gonna be absolutely pissed if this is the HEB concept they bring to university and booneville.

Why would you be pissed? Do you not like nice grocery stores?
bcstx06
Cstrickland05 said:

ajolly said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

Boonville/University is probably the location that makes the most sense.

The City has been pushing for an urban grocery store concept for the Northgate/Century Square area for a couple of years. Since HEB recently built a couple of Urban concept stores (Houston store below as example), I could also see that as a possibility.

Im gonna be absolutely pissed if this is the HEB concept they bring to university and booneville.

Why would you be pissed? Do you not like nice grocery stores?

I think this is all just a misunderstanding. It was mentioned that someone knew someone that worked for the corporate HEB offices. That person said that a new HEB was planned for BCS and people were just guessing where it would be. Some guesses Booneville and University and some guessed Northgate. Then it was mentioned that Brookshire Brothers is building on campus, so HEB might not go to Northgate. It was also mentioned that Century Square and the Culpepper development across the street hav plans for a grocery store. The urban HEB concept that they are building in Houston was shown as what could go up in the Northgate area. With all of that said, an HEB on Booneville would likely be similar to the Jones Crossing location.
TXAG 05
AG
Ok. Just for those that haven't been to one, these are full size stores, they just have the parking either above or below the store.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Site plans submitted to City of College Station for Dunkin Donuts. The address listed is 12061 FM 2154.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Also, site plans submitted for a new NAPA Auto Parts at 2417 Harvey Mitchell Parkway (corner of Dartmouth) and a 7,647 square foot Verabank building in Providence Park (2351 Earl Rudder).
JMac03
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

Site plans submitted to City of College Station for Dunkin Donuts. The address listed is 12061 FM 2154.
That address is showing Millican?
Captn_Ag05
AG
JMac03 said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

That address is showing Millican?
Yeah. I am confused by it too.

It is difficult to tell from the map where it is as well:

https://www.cstx.gov/common/pages/DisplayFile.aspx?itemId=16351998

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.