Place That Sells/Plants Trees

4,001 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by cz308
Sweet Kitten Feet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Been in our house less than a year and I think we've decided we don't like the bald cypress tree in our backyard. Would like to get rid of it and replace with something else, maybe a live oak. Want to get a larger tree though, not just one I could go pick up at Home Depot. Looking for places that can handle all that to get an idea on cost.
JMac03
AG
We bought ours from Brazos Valley Tree Farm. We also paid the guy there to come out and install them. The few weeks before that we bought 3 trees at Lowes and installed them ourselves. The large tree from Lowes died, but the ones from BVTF did not. (2 fruit trees from Lowes are still living).

It is a big PITA to dig the hole as big as you need it for the larger trees. I am thinking we did the Cedar and Lace Bark Elm, but I could be wrong. We went and picked them out at the location. I do not remember the cost but it wasn't outrageous or anything.

http://www.thebrazosvalleytreefarm.com/
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
How big were the trees you bought? How much were the trees, and then the labor?
JMac03
AG
I edited my post to add more info above. Also I PM'd you some additional info.
techno-ag
AG
Bought a live oak from Lowe's a couple months back. I think they're normally $50, were on sale 25% off so 37.50. They say they'll refund you if it dies within a year.
JMac03
AG
techno-ag said:

Bought a live oak from Lowe's a couple months back. I think they're normally $50, were on sale 25% off so 37.50. They say they'll refund you if it dies within a year.
I can attest to this - we got our money back on the one that died.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
techno-ag said:

Yeah I know. I want one bigger than the ones they sell. Also, have an old tree that needs to be removed. Think I'm gonna outsource this one. I just don't want the small tree that I have to wait several years on to get any kind of shade. The cypress I've got now is about 15 feet tall, and ugly as hell, but at least it casts some shade int he right spot.
halibut sinclair
https://discounttreesofbrenham.com/

John Lammers is the owner. Planted a large tree for us 10 years ago that is now huge.
woodiewood1
If you have a typical .20 acre lot in a subdivision, a live oak will end up being too wide and create too dense of shade for a a good coverage of lawn. I would get a Shumard Red oak. It is taller and more columnar in shape.

Also will grow a little faster than a live oak.
95_Aggie
AG
I think builders do a disservice planting all these live oaks. Mine was planted way too close to my house.
ontheedge
95_Aggie said:

I think builders do a disservice planting all these live oaks. Mine was planted way too close to my house.
Agreed! I'm not sure why this is the norm.

I like the fast growing Texas Ash tree.

Circle D Nurseries on Finfeather sells to the general public on Saturdays.
woodiewood1
95_Aggie said:

Yep. Drive through Alexandria and Shenadoah subdivisions and the older ones around deacon and the two live oaks are overwhelming the view of the front of the house. Live Oaks are planted by the builders because there is no interest in looking at what would be better options. Also some HOA have a very short list of allowable trees.
woodiewood1
ontheedge said:

95_Aggie said:

Agreed! I'm not sure why this is the norm.

I like the fast growing Texas Ash tree.

Circle D Nurseries on Finfeather sells to the general public on Saturdays.

Ash trees are very nice but you always have a risk of the tree growing for years and years and then the ash borer gets into the tree and within months it's dead. It is one of the fastest nice trees.
Expert Analysis
AG
We had a red oak in our backyard at are previous house. Was a great tree. Bigger leaves that turned colors in fall. Grew pretty quickly.

I have considered Mexican white oak at our new place. Seem to be quick growers without too many issues.
JMac03
AG
I know nothing about trees but some elms are supposed to be faster growing. We planted 3 in the summer.
MUAG

Red oaks can be great trees, but be careful who you have plant one. Paid lots of money to a landscaper to plant a large one when we moved to town 2 years ago. He never said anything about red oaks needing the trunk wrapped for a year or two. Awful sun scald the first summer that caused lots of damage. Neal Sperry says red oak have to be trunk wrapped. We now have the ugliest tree in the world according to my wife.
From what have read should get a Shumard red oak and not just "a red oak" as was mentioned earlier.
Off subject, but as country folks moving to the big city, landscapers have been by far the biggest problem of city living. Four have done some good things and totally ripped us off on part of what they have done.
On live oaks. I planted 10 6-8 foot ones 30 years ago and soon learned how to keep them pruned to grow up and out. Wonderful trees if planed far enough a way from things and pruned as needed.
woodiewood1
Depending on caliper, in in the full sun, all young trees should have their trucks wrapped up to the first limb for two to three years.
cz308
halibut sinclair said:

https://discounttreesofbrenham.com/

John Lammers is the owner. Planted a large tree for us 10 years ago that is now huge.
We used them also back in the spring. We picked out what we wanted and they were delivered and planted the following weekend. So far so good. Hopefully, I can keep them alive during the winter, but that will be on me not them.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.