Moving back to Aggieland

11,041 Views | 79 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by treyyates
JMac03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
histag10 said:

JMac03 said:

I am not part of PITO but know a ton of them. No worries, just wondered.

I guess it's always possible. I work most closely work the PITO people in the pavilion, but I know a few who are/were at the GSC. I think i only know one person in main IT
It's been awhile since I've work with many in Pavilion. I know some but most are admin type folks or upper Mgmt.
PS3D
rkramer said:

I have a job offer to move back to College Station that I am considering. While I love visiting BCS I've never lived there as a non-student, and have only been back a handful of times since I finished grad school and left Texas 10 years ago.

I know BCS has changed enormously in the last 10 years. Can someone give me a perspective on what living there is like as a professional/non-student with a young family? My job is not associated with the university and is in somewhat of a niche field for Texas. Does it feel like there are enough activities, programs, etc geared toward non-students so that you don't feel like an outsider looking into a student town?
I don't really think the city has really improved in a "non-college student" sense, at least in a significant net positive way. Maybe a little.

- Despite significantly grown traffic (especially along SH-40), there's been no major road improvement projects in a decade, other than completing the overpass/Wellborn Road widening. The latter half of the last decade brought Texas Avenue's widening, Highway 40's opening and Highway 6 South's reconstruction, which were all nice, but there hasn't really been anything on that magnitude for a while in the area.
- Campus has definitely changed, but again, most of the new construction largely felt like ego projects for overfunded departments. The outsourcing did no good to the local economy or the services for students and staff, that's for sure.
- In fact, there's not been a lot of growth in the area for "real" jobs...unless you worked in the medical profession.
- The Walmart finished expansion and a new Walmart was built (at the expense of the Texas Hall of Fame). But it also made it a whole lot more difficult to get in and out.
- Downtown Bryan has improved, I suppose.
- There's a lot more restaurants overall. With the exception of some restaurants fallen by the wayside and some unequal price/quality issues, eating out has never been better.
- The mall has gotten markedly worse. Given how everything else has relatively prospered around it, I blame the management.
- Three new H-E-B stores opened, one of which replaced a smaller Pantry-era store. However, the population outpaced the growth of new stores in the area. All of the H-E-B stores were overcrowded (while picking off the few alternatives like Kroger or Albertsons) until they opened the Jones Crossing store, which re-balanced the situation and made H-E-B shopping tolerable.
- The new trampoline parks are definitely an actual improvement to the city in terms of things to do.
techno-ag
AG
Quote:

Despite significantly grown traffic (especially along SH-40), there's been no major road improvement projects in a decade, other than completing the overpass/Wellborn Road widening. The latter half of the last decade brought Texas Avenue's widening, Highway 40's opening and Highway 6 South's reconstruction, which were all nice, but there hasn't really been anything on that magnitude for a while in the area
Get ready for a 6 lane bypass. That's the next big road project.
histag10
AG
3 new HEBs? The only new ones I can think of are Jones Crossing and Tower Point. Which one am I missing?
BrazosWifi
histag10 said:

3 new HEBs? The only new ones I can think of are Jones Crossing and Tower Point. Which one am I missing?

The one at Hwy 21 and Texas Avenue in Bryan.
Sponsor Message: http://BrazosWiFi.com | Fast and reliable internet for the Brazos Valley | info@BrazosWiFi.com | 979-999-7000
musicforall
Which will be widened first, 2818 or 6? Please, not both at once!
techno-ag
AG
BrazosWifi said:

histag10 said:

I think the one at Holleman and Texas started life as a pantry store too.
histag10
AG
BrazosWifi said:

histag10 said:

Oh. I thought that one had been around for quite a while. I thought it was an HEB back when I was in college.
BrazosWifi
histag10 said:

BrazosWifi said:

histag10 said:

Oh. I thought that one had been around for quite a while. I thought it was an HEB back when I was in college.

It was around for a while. It was one of the small HEB Pantry stores that have been replaced by these new SUPER HEB stores.
Sponsor Message: http://BrazosWiFi.com | Fast and reliable internet for the Brazos Valley | info@BrazosWiFi.com | 979-999-7000
histag10
AG
BrazosWifi said:

histag10 said:

BrazosWifi said:

histag10 said:

It was around for a while. It was one of the small HEB Pantry stores that have been replaced by these new SUPER HEB stores.

Ah I got you. It's my least favorite HEB in town, and sadly it's the closest.
treyyates
AG
Does anyone know the internet situation at Traditions? Is it hard wired in?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.