Moving back to Aggieland

11,030 Views | 79 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by treyyates
rkramer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a job offer to move back to College Station that I am considering. While I love visiting BCS I've never lived there as a non-student, and have only been back a handful of times since I finished grad school and left Texas 10 years ago.

I know BCS has changed enormously in the last 10 years. Can someone give me a perspective on what living there is like as a professional/non-student with a young family? My job is not associated with the university and is in somewhat of a niche field for Texas. Does it feel like there are enough activities, programs, etc geared toward non-students so that you don't feel like an outsider looking into a student town?
Aggie
AG
Yes , without question
Donny Hall
Hey! I have a 2 and 4 y/o. This town is like comfort food.

On the day to day life looks the same everywhere. You work your ass off, juggle moving the kids around, and spend your nights as a family with a few activities and then its off to bed, right?

There are a lot of sports for kids around here and plenty of activities such as art camps and programs offered through local churches. I like how we can daytrip to cool museums in Austin or catch neat stuff in a two hour radius.

The one thing here that's great is community. I would honestly rent here a bit and figure out what you like and what you care about. We fit in with some friends in downtown bryan and the church we found.

We started living in Bryan and had no problem sending our kiddos to public school over there but we ended up moving closer to our friends in small group on north college station College Hills area. We love it here.

The weekends there are farmers markets and lots of outside play. The summers we travel to regional lakes and rivers.

I prefer older neighborhoods of character to suburban life - but to each their own. We co-exist with college kids ok and sometimes we have to help raise them. Hope that helps.
Tumble Weed
I graduated in 98 and moved back in 2008.

We love it here. Great place to raise kids because everyone values education. Kids have both graduated from high school and this was a safe environment to raise them in.

You learn to avoid certain areas on game day, and rejoice when everyone leaves for the holidays and traffic clears. This is a big enough town to have something to do, but the traffic isn't at Houston or Austin levels yet.

Last week we went to an Opas event, and our calendar is constantly full. We also hop down to Houston quite a bit for shopping and the Theatre. It almost feels like we are a North Houston suburb now. My only fear for the area is that it is getting too big. I enjoy the amenities, but I anticipate more congestion over the next decade.

redd38
AG
It's fine as long as you're already married
thann07
AG
I'm moving my wife back from Katy (I grew up in CS). Hopefully it'll be as rewarding as I'm hoping it to be.
Counterpoint
AG
Graduated in '98 and have been here ever since. It's great! I travel a lot, so I still get to see other places...but I'm always happy when I get back here.

CS78
redd38 said:

It's fine as long as you're already married

Or a male under 40.
TAMU1990
AG
Moved back in 2007 - best decision we ever made.
aggiegal99
As an adult with family, it's kind of like we live in a parallel universe with the college kids. We drive the same roads and shop at the same Wal-Mart, but my life rarely intersects the life of college kids. Their schedule is just way different than ours!

College Station is a great place for families. Tons of youth activities, good schools (both in BISD and CSISD and nearby small towns), good churches, plenty to do.

Welcome home!
BQ_90
AG
Be prepared to pay more for a house than you can imagine
rkramer
AG
Housing cost in BCS is half or less from where I'm relocating from.
bobinator
AG
My wife and I met here in 2016, got married here in 2018 and bought a house this year. We absolutely love it here.

We both work on campus, but basically don't see students otherwise except on game days and at HEB.

There are all kinds of community events and of course being close to Aggie sports is awesome.

I was skeptical when I moved back in 2010 as a single guy in my 20's, but I love it.
Psychag
AG
I'm an old Ag. My wife and I moved back here 20 years ago. We had moved away in late '80s when we got married. We raised our son here. He's now in college. BCS is a great place to raise children. Good schools. Good extra curricular activities. We love it here.
MiMi
S
I moved to College Station (from upstate NY) when I was 26 yrs old because of a job opportunity. I met my now husband after moving here and we are raising our 3 children here. They are now high school/college age. I have never regretted my decision to move to College Station.
Stupe
S
Quote:

Does it feel like there are enough activities, programs, etc geared toward non-students so that you don't feel like an outsider looking into a student town?

Unless you work for or near the school, it doesn't feel like a college town.
Mumbo Jimbo
rkramer said:

property taxes aren't
TAMC11
AG
Just get to Chuy's by 5.
rkramer
AG
ColonelCoinCollector said:

rkramer said:

property taxes aren't
Agree. Property tax rates suck in BCS and Texas in general. Once I realized that, I subtracted $100k from my housing search.
rkramer
AG
In follow up to the real estate comments, what new to newer construction housing developments should we look at to purchase? Toured a few homes in Castlegate II (around our target price) and the lower end Traditions neighborhoods (at the max of what we would target to spend). Came across Mission Ranch online after our trip, and it looks interesting, especially because the lots seem larger. Other neighborhoods we should look into?
AgProgrammer
AG
I graduated here in 2009 and never left. Girlfriend turned wife moved here in 2010. We own a small business and do travel quite a bit, so no kids yet. We love College Station and the entire community. Every time I go to Houston, Dallas or Austin, it reminds me how much I enjoy it here. Traffic is minimal to none, very few restaurants actually have long waits for dinner (unlike the big cities), parking is easy, etc. I've always said that B/CS is like some kind of a non-typical bubble. You have so much money flowing into this community from the university and all of the student's parent's money that the entire city feels "new and clean".

Where you want to live will really vary depending on what type of house/neighborhood you are looking for. If you want a "newer" neighborhood close to town, you have your normal places like Castlegate, Pebble Creek, Copperfield, Austin's Colony, Greens Prairie, etc. If you want more space a little more out in the country, look at places like Saddle Creek, Duck Haven, Milican Reserve, Heritage Lake, North Country Estates, etc. Then I also think that both Bryan and College Station have some good "older" neighborhoods with larger lots, mature trees, etc. Emerald Forest, Foxfire, Raintree and several others fit that bill.
thann07
AG
I'm building in Mission Ranch. For what it's worth, I'm paying a good bit more for a comparable house than I paid in Katy.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
On the subject of Traditions vs College Station, you will love the traffic living in Traditions vs what you will deal with in CS. And high speed hard wired internet if that matters.

SPI-FlatsCatter 84 said:

On the subject of Traditions vs College Station, you will love the traffic living in Traditions vs what you will deal with in CS. And high speed hard wired internet if that matters.

And questioning your wife's safety when she needs to run to the store at night.
saltydog13
AG
rkramer said:

So relocating from Cali?
trouble
AG
We moved back 18 months ago and couldn't be happier. There are lots of things to do completely separate from the university. If you do enjoy sports, it's really nice to make a short drive after games and be in your own bed.
stick95
AG
I moved back almost two years ago and I love it. It looks different, but it still feels the same to me. Probably because I was coming from Houston. I love being close to simply grab a basketball or baseball game with a kid or two if I simply feel like it.

One thing I will say is that it is an absolutely wonderful place to raise a family. Housing costs give you a little more spending money and I love raising my kids in a conservative city. Little to no traffic, so shuttling several kids to several events isn't that big of a deal. Schools are good, I have been able to challenge my kids academically with no extra effort.

I highly recommend it.
Try and make something idiot proof, and all they do is make a better idiot.
JMac03
AG
I moved back when I got married. Prior to that I had lived in Houston for 2.5 years. I LOVE it. I think it is a great place to raise a family. Yes we do not have everything a big city has, but we have a great community of folks here and still tons of activities. I spent so much time driving in Houston and I didn't even live far from work. I like the slower pace here and not driving forever to get to work/home/other. Great schools. Traffic is getting worse, but still nothing like a big city. With that said, I wouldn't look in the Welborn area as their traffic is pretty bad during peak times.

All in all I would not want to live anywhere else (well maybe Colorado for the cooler temps).

Oh adding I rarely interact with students even at my job. For the most part they do not shop at our grocery stores that are on the outer skirts of town.
stick95
AG
I'll add in about kid safety.

We live in south College Station and there a kids biking all over the neighborhood "until the street lights come on", it reminds me of my childhood. Saw NONE of that in Houston. Never worry about my kids' safety when they are out. Now that I have a driver, I feel the same about them driving around town.

We are never out late, so I don't get exposed too much to the college kids.
Try and make something idiot proof, and all they do is make a better idiot.
befitter
rkramer said:

In follow up to the real estate comments, what new to newer construction housing developments should we look at to purchase? Toured a few homes in Castlegate II (around our target price) and the lower end Traditions neighborhoods (at the max of what we would target to spend). Came across Mission Ranch online after our trip, and it looks interesting, especially because the lots seem larger. Other neighborhoods we should look into?
Check out Duck Haven, Brentwood,Saddle Creek and Tuscany Trace.
techno-ag
AG
Hands down one of the best places in the state to raise kids, imo. What big city conveniences you might miss are a short drive away. We choose the Austin airport to fly out of because it's easier to get to than Houston.
Stupe
S
How is a route that goes through several towns easier than a route that has zero lights?
eric76
AG
I would love to move back but I don't think that I could ever get used to the humidity again.

If I was going to move south for retirement, I'd prefer some place like Ruidoso or Cloudcroft in New Mexico where the average high in July is something like 80 or 81.
AggieBarstool
Stupe said:

How is a route that goes through several towns easier than a route that has zero lights?
Feels faster.
Less traffic.
Get to drive through the countryside.
Doesn't feel impossible to find my exit/parking/what-have-you (if you're talking about AUS vs. IAH; Hobby isn't too bad).
Oh, and I get to stop at Bucky's.
techno-ag
AG
Stupe said:

Mainly, you avoid Houston.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.