Tipping practices

2,947 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by CS78
Crusader
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A previous post asking how much is a good tip for pizza delivery prompted me to ask this question.

First, I am a very generous tipper - 18 to 20 percent for good service, 15 percent even if the service is poor, and sometimes more than 20 percent if the service is excellent.

However, more and more lately I have gone to casual restaurants where I go to a counter to place my own order, pick it up there when my food is ready, and afterwards, take my trash from the table to dispose of it. No waitstaff is ever involved.

My question is, when I place me order and pay (in advance) there is a place on the credit card device that asks if I would like to leave a tip, and usually has the same amounts I mentioned above offered as a suggestion. So, how much should I tip, if anything, when I do all the work that the waitstaff normally would do?

I generally, leave nothing in those cases. Am I right or wrong in your humble opinions?
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
No wait staff. No tip.
LJF78
If nobody is taking your order, refilling your drink or making change ... why would you tip?

And fwiw I usually leave 20% but I also won't hesitate to leave much much less or even 0 for Chitty service
halibut sinclair
I don't see a problem with tipping 10 percent or a few bucks for the counter people and kitchen help.
JayHowdy!
If I have to order at a counter - then no tip.
bobinator
AG
I tip 1 dollar if it's a behind the counter situation just so I don't have to feel bad about myself when i tap the 'no tip' button.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
If I call in an order to a normally sit-down restaurant I will usually leave a smaller tip when i pick it up, maybe 10%. It's usually a waitress or similar packing up the meal, etc. But not at a fast food place or a place that doesn't normally provide any type of service. I think some card machines just spit out that receipt with the tip space on it by default, and some people feel guilted into leaving one.
Aggie
AG
Another reason why I pay cash 100% of the time
redd38
AG
I don't tip out of charity, I tip to compensate a server for good service. If there's nothing to compensate for then no tip.
techno-ag
AG
OP do you tip at Sonic?
Post removed:
by user
littlebitofhifi
AG
If you can afford to spare a dollar or 2, always tip. Always. It never hurts to be kind and folks are working hard behind the scenes, often for very little in return.
texasaggie04
AG
halibut sinclair said:

I don't see a problem with tipping 10 percent or a few bucks for the counter people and kitchen help.

Do we know that the money gets to them? There's a really interesting Freakonomics podcast about tipping, and I think on it they said there are laws in place that actually prevent kitchen staff from being able to share in tips received.
CDub06
AG
bobinator said:

I tip 1 dollar if it's a behind the counter situation just so I don't have to feel bad about myself when i tap the 'no tip' button.
More and more POS systems make you jump through hoops to do that now.

If you're not tipping one of the pre-sets, you have to click on "Custom Amount" and type through 2 different screens to apply it. Meanwhile, the person at the counter stares at you like "Get a load of this guy."
Bullpen Chias
AG
I pretty much tip 20% in all situations. More if exceptional. These folks just don't make much working at a restaurant.
kevmiller
Bullpen Chias said:

I pretty much tip 20% in all situations. More if exceptional. These folks just don't make much working at a restaurant.

Right and if I'm depending on tips for bulk of my paycheck I'm sure as Hell gonna be polite and personable.
If not hard to be nice

Sometimes you get people who act like they would rather be anywhere else and doing anything else.
If you hate your job that much then go get a different job.

If food is slow getting out.. ill still tip
If our order is messed up .. I'll still tip
Hell if my drink sits empty for a few minutes .. I'll still tip ( as long as you're not standing around talking )

But if I get a waiter/ waitress that can't be nice and personable.. I will not leave a tip

In my world you still have to earn a tip.. nothing is guaranteed
littlebitofhifi
AG
Must be nice to be a person who's never had a bad day at work...
kevmiller
littlebitofhifi said:

Must be nice to be a person who's never had a bad day at work...

Nope I've had bad days.. but if I have a Job to do I'm gonna adjust my attitude and do my job accordingly.
Not gonna just play the " woe is me I'm having a bad day card" .

pudge
I was in Australia for the month of November and you don't tip there, but the food is more expensive and the servers make a much larger salary than here. Because the servers make more, the service pretty much sucks.
CS78
If the people behind the counter are hustling and working hard I tip a dollar or so. It's not much money and can make a difference at the end of a shift.

I just hate the ones that drag tail then try to chat you up with a fake "how's your day going" when it's time for a signature. Wish I could leave them a negative tip.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.