Burger Mojo

48,108 Views | 303 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by EliteElectric
JMac03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Costa and Andreas said:

Hi all-
Breakfast Update:
did our final tasting of the breakfast items just now and we are quite happy with the results. The items are fast to produce, good quality and very affordable. We are excited. The Mojo Risin is my personal favorite. It was great. Wheat muffin, hand cracked egg, pesto, provolone, carver ham. Between that and the the New Jacked Muffin I don't think I'm going to ever do a Mcmuffin again lol. BREAKFAST STARTS MONDAY!
Don't you have something with chicken on it? Does that have an egg on it? (I couldn't tell from the menu when I was last at your restaurant).
Costa and Andreas
Absolutely. We have the early bird which is fried all natural chicken breast, habanero mango sauce and swiss on the martins roll. Also, the chicken and waffle foldie, which is self explanatory.

Oh, and neither have egg but we can add egg to either very easily
MiMi
S
Quote:

We're trying to see if they have packets of it available.

Mike's Hot Honey Single Serve Packets
Costa and Andreas
Yes indeed but that's retail lol. There's no way we can give those complimentary paying that price unfortunately. We want to be able to do that if possible. We are trying to find the perfect balance between keeping our prices as low as they are with maximum offerings.
JMac03
AG
Costa and Andreas said:

Absolutely. We have the early bird which is fried all natural chicken breast, habanero mango sauce and swiss on the martins roll. Also, the chicken and waffle foldie, which is self explanatory.

Perfect. No need to add eggs. I am not a fan of them.
Geralt of Rivia
S
JMac03 said:

Costa and Andreas said:

Perfect. No need to add eggs. I am not a fan of them.

I'm giving you the same look people give me when they find out I don't like tomatoes
JMac03
AG
I can eat eggs but in VERY little quantities. About 15 years ago I did South Beach diet and I ate the **** out of eggs. I now almost puke if I have them more than once or twice a month. I'm weird though - if I eat too much I'd something I start to get an aversion to it. Except chocolate. And fast food. Lawd I would be much skinner if I could get sick of those.
Geralt of Rivia
S
I was just joking around
rc_cat
Made our first trip to Mojo tonight after the women's basketball game. It took us a while to decide what to have - but fortunately (for us) it was a little slow, so we weren't holding anyone up.

I had the Rebel Yell - and it was great - except part of the bottom bun ended up really soggy - and soggy bread is something I really despise. I would have liked to have tried the PB Cool J - but it only comes as a double - and the price for that combo was really out of line with the rest of the prices on the menu. Is it not possible to have it as a single like the rest of the burgers?

The spouse had the Lovestack - and agrees with some of the earlier comments that the egg, while tasty, would benefit from being at least somewhat runny. Also said that if the menu hadn't said there was ham on the burger, they wouldn't have known it was there.

We both liked the fries - and the atmosphere - but realize that in a couple of weeks the drive thru will probably be our only option as all the convenient usb/electric outlets will invite patrons to camp out for several hours. There are still several things on the menu we can't wait to try. Not a real fan of the try-to-tear-it-in-a-somewhat-square-paper-towel, but that's minor.

(While driving home I realized that the burger reminded me of the early Stover Brothers hamburgers - which is a good thing.)

Costa and Andreas
rc_cat said:

Made our first trip to Mojo tonight after the women's basketball game. It took us a while to decide what to have - but fortunately (for us) it was a little slow, so we weren't holding anyone up.

I had the Rebel Yell - and it was great - except part of the bottom bun ended up really soggy - and soggy bread is something I really despise. I would have liked to have tried the PB Cool J - but it only comes as a double - and the price for that combo was really out of line with the rest of the prices on the menu. Is it not possible to have it as a single like the rest of the burgers?

The spouse had the Lovestack - and agrees with some of the earlier comments that the egg, while tasty, would benefit from being at least somewhat runny. Also said that if the menu hadn't said there was ham on the burger, they wouldn't have known it was there.

We both liked the fries - and the atmosphere - but realize that in a couple of weeks the drive thru will probably be our only option as all the convenient usb/electric outlets will invite patrons to camp out for several hours. There are still several things on the menu we can't wait to try. Not a real fan of the try-to-tear-it-in-a-somewhat-square-paper-towel, but that's minor.

(While driving home I realized that the burger reminded me of the early Stover Brothers hamburgers - which is a good thing.)

Hi and thank you so much for your business and comments. I'm up here late since we started 24 hours today so a good opportunity to read comments and reply.

The nature of the Rebel Yell is indeed to be a pretty wet burger given the queso and also how juicy we make our patties. I had one a few days ago where the bun stayed pretty solid but I've also had one with a wetter bun before. It seems that burger needs to be eaten at exactly the right time I suppose. You could ask for the Rebel Yell served on lettuce with the bun on the side and then self assemble......

The PB Cool J being double or single was a huge source of debate when we engineered the menu. We wanted it to be single to keep the price low but in the end the single patty just didn't stand up to the pb&j bread and was overpowered. Consequently we went with a double. It is our most expensive at $8.95 vs a Mojo starting at $3.75 for instance. We are charging the very least we can for that. Frankly, to make margin, it should be a little more but we are conducting a fast food rebellion here! So, in the end we just wanted the PB Cool J to be topic of conversation and so far it has been.

The paper towel is purely a reaction to customers needing a much more substantial napkin situation than what we started with! Our burgers are juicy and made with great CAB 80/20 chuck. So, they thirst for hearty napkins.

For this model, we provided a drive thru for times when you can't dine in, and dine in when it makes sense of course.

Thanks again
Costa

Edit: I failed to mention that we will sell a single PB Cool J if someone wants one. It will just be a different flavor profile that's less balanced between beef flavor and PB&J flavor.

Also, the fried egg. Oh man this is tough. I love a runny egg, or even slightly runny. In this model we've had to make many choices between speed and personal preferences. So, we had to choose to bust the yolks because eggs actually take too long to cook for a drive through/fast food model if you don't. This is likely why runny yolks aren't found at fast food places.
JMac03
AG
I had the early bird sans cheese this AM. It was really good, but I am going to have to change sauces next time. My mouth is still on fire and nose running. Granted, I am not a big eater of hot stuff so I am sure people who like a little kick will love it. The flavor was great, just not the sauce for me (which is easily fixable).
halibut sinclair
JMac03 said:

I had the early bird sans cheese this AM. It was really good, but I am going to have to change sauces next time. My mouth is still on fire and nose running. Granted, I am not a big eater of hot stuff so I am sure people who like a little kick will love it. The flavor was great, just not the sauce for me (which is easily fixable).
Sounds like something I need to try. The hotter, the better.
Costa and Andreas
JMac03 said:

Yes JMac that habanero mango sauce can be pretty damn hot. Less hot would be chipotle awesome sauce and no hot would be awesome sauce. For a really fresh taste I would go with adding our fresh avocado salsa. The other sauces are no charge but the avocado salsa would be 75 cents.
AggiePhil
AG
rc_cat said:

While driving home I realized that the burger reminded me of the early Stover Brothers hamburgers - which is a good thing.

^Stover Boys
rc_cat
AggiePhil said:

rc_cat said:

While driving home I realized that the burger reminded me of the early Stover Brothers hamburgers - which is a good thing.

^Stover Boys
Oops - I wouldn't even have had the Stover part right if someone hadn't mentioned it earlier in the thread - all I could remember was Charlie/hamburger/gas station. Getting old is hell.
AggieBarstool
AggiePhil said:

rc_cat said:

^Stover Boys
Oh man. I miss me some Stover Boys.
halibut sinclair
Stover Boys was the grossest of all that is gross.
soso33
halibut sinclair said:

Stover Boys was the grossest of all that is gross.
TSJ
AG
The wife, my 2 year old and I came in for lunch. We timed it pretty well just before the rush. Kept it simple, but I was floored we only paid $19 for the three of us. I feel great when we eat under $30. Food was served before we even filled our drinks. Service was great and the food was delicious. Looking forward to trying more of the menu.

Please expand south!
Costa and Andreas
Thank you so much! South is on the radar for sure. We need to get this flagship unit rolling properly for a good 9 months/year before we can consider it.
histag10
AG
Hit the drive through this morning for breakfast. The food was wonderful, and the service was incredibly fast. Will definitely bring my husband and kids out for dinner sometime
Eliminatus
AG
AggieBarstool said:

AggiePhil said:

rc_cat said:

^Stover Boys
Oh man. I miss me some Stover Boys.

Them meatloaf sandwiches though...

Those were f'n delicious.

To not derail, huzzah for 24 hour! It is literally on my way to class and my breakfast options before this was pretty much McDs only. I like to get to school super early and this is a literal game changer for my morning plans.

Yup, y'all will be getting even more of my money very soon.
BaitShack
AG
histag10 said:

Hit the drive through this morning for breakfast. The food was wonderful, and the service was incredibly fast. Will definitely bring my husband and kids out for dinner sometime
I did the drive through this evening, it was a little confusing not ordering at the menu sign. Luckily I can read, follow instructions, and figured it out. That left turn after the window was pretty sharp. I had trouble not hitting the cone. I got the bulls on parade. I think the original Mojo burger is my fave. Will be back for a 4th time.
histag10
AG
BaitShack said:

histag10 said:

I did the drive through this evening, it was a little confusing not ordering at the menu sign. Luckily I can read, follow instructions, and figured it out. That left turn after the window was pretty sharp. I had trouble not hitting the cone. I got the bulls on parade. I think the original Mojo burger is my fave. Will be back for a 4th time.

That turn is REALLY sharp! I grazed the curb trying not to hit the cone.

I agree about the first menu board, but a few other places do that and it seems to help traffic flow. If there are multiple cars, one not ordering can be looking at the menu and getting their order ready ahead of time.
Costa and Andreas
That turn is tight. We had a very small property to work with and many rules to follow with the city.

The first menu is a "pre-menu" like you see at many drive thrus. It has a sign that says "please pull forward to place order at speaker". Around the corner is a second menu with order speaker. It was definitely purposeful to help with the decision process. Our whole situation is functional, albeit not ideal for some.

Originally, the order speaker was to be at the first menu, but the city had us place that around the corner, I suppose in an effort to move the drive thru stack deeper into the property. So, we made the best we could with the situation we had, and frankly so far we're extremely pleased with our drive thru speed and forward movement.
cubbies25
AG
Just a quick question for Costa..went there last night for the first time. Once I placed the order for my burger, I asked for it to be cooked Medium. The young lady taking my order quickly said back to me rather sarcastically, "We only do it Well-Done." Since I was there with my elderly parents, I did not make a big deal about it and ordered anyway. It was ok, but way over-cooked for my taste, but what I don't understand is at 4:30 in the afternoon with 6 customers in the place and about 10 or so employees in the kitchen is why this can't be done? I have been to other burger places in town that happily cook my order as per my request. If this is your standard policy, can you please explain to me the rational. I'm not trying to bash your business, but trying to understand how it works. Thanks in advance.
techno-ag
AG
cubbies25 said:

Just a quick question for Costa..went there last night for the first time. Once I placed the order for my burger, I asked for it to be cooked Medium. The young lady taking my order quickly said back to me rather sarcastically, "We only do it Well-Done." Since I was there with my elderly parents, I did not make a big deal about it and ordered anyway. It was ok, but way over-cooked for my taste, but what I don't understand is at 4:30 in the afternoon with 6 customers in the place and about 10 or so employees in the kitchen is why this can't be done? I have been to other burger places in town that happily cook my order as per my request. If this is your standard policy, can you please explain to me the rational. I'm not trying to bash your business, but trying to understand how it works. Thanks in advance.
Not Costa but I can say many fast casual restaurants trying to hit a price point only cook one way. Also resolves other issues too such as the potential for undercooked meat.
Costa and Andreas
cubbies25 said:

Thanks for your question. Firstly, I apologize if the young lady was sarcastic to you. I will certainly look into that. As for it being overcooked, we have been overwhelmed with comments of how juicy our burgers are, so I can say with confidence that your experience is atypical.

Techno's answer concisely sums up what my answer is, but I will offer a little more background.

Firstly, we don't only cook "well done", we only cook "done and juicy". So, that young lady misrepresented what we do. In this particular business model the operation has rules you can bend but not rules you can break. A 24 hr drive through is immensely different than walking into Koppe Bridge or Grub. It is designed for extremely expedient service, consequently egg temps and burger temps simply cannot be taken. If we start taking them that would open up a can of worms that would adversely affect production speed and consistency over time. Imagine how slow Whataburger would be if they took temps for instance. We have the quality of more expensive burgers, but we are delivering them in a fast food model at a fast food price. These type of incidents are to be expected from time to time, but not insurmountable and certainly very explainable.

At my age, I tend to try to not do a thing without having thought it through and with purpose lol, so this would be one of those things.

All that said, I would be happy to cook your burger to temp at Cafe Eccell any time!!

Thanks again for your business and feedback!!

Costa
histag10
AG
I went back this morning and the food was good (not as good as yesterday, but good nonetheless); however, I think someone may have accidentally (I hope) dumped an entire salt shaker in the fries. They were so salty they were inedible (which makes me sad, because I was really looking forward to trying the queso fries).
Costa and Andreas
Noted. Ticks me off inexplicably
cubbies25
AG
Costa:

Thanks for your response. I understand and appreciate your explanation. My wife loves the strawberry tart at Cafe Eccel, so hopefully we'll dine there soon....along with a "Medium" burger!! LOL Thanks again.
Costa and Andreas
That's great to hear. I'm thankful for your patronage. As I've said before, I consider it a blessing to have the opportunity to engage our clientele on a public forum provided it that it is sincere, thoughtful and pragmatic. This exchange was another example and I'm happy to explain the methods to our madness!!
histag10
AG
Costa and Andreas said:

Noted. Ticks me off inexplicably

Thank you. It honestly caught me by surprise, as everything I have had there, Bodega Express, and Eccel have all been wonderful. I will really miss breakfast from Bodega Express.

Thank you for the wonderful food you have brought to this town!
Costa and Andreas
Absolutely. I can't count how many cooks I've ripped over salt lol. It takes care not to rush. Also it's a very simple concept that more salt can always be added at the table, but once it's too much the salt can't be taken away. Seriously I'm just so less patient now that I'm older lol. Chaps my hide.

Ok, I'll take deep cleansing breaths now....ahhh
BCSWguru
Had the Jimbo tonight. Very good stuff. Also tried another variety of fries, the egg made it superb.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.