Where did the birds go? Why is my feeder so lonely?

3,410 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by earwigfly
BaitShack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I keep a feeder out with generic wal mart bird food mixed w sunflower seeds. It's seems aver the last month or two I haven't seen a single bird, Did they head south?
techno-ag
AG
Fewer birds in the winter.
dave99ag
AG
Open a Kroger, there will be plenty!
AggieBarstool
Vary your seed mixture to capture the attention of some of the winter birds making their way through for the season.
musicforall
I've had the same problem. Anyone seen a cardinal or a blue jay lately? On the feeder have been a few doves and some sparrows. Around town I have seen are grackles, pigeons, vultures and hawks, and one hummingbird on my feeder in August. Its like the opposite of The Birds movie.
Tailgate88
AG
dave99ag said:

I literally LOLed. Blue star for you sir.
mgreen
I am having the same issue with squirrels. I assume they did not fly south. Lol

My dog chases squirrels in my yard daily. It is a big game but he never wins. For the last two months, not a single squirrel. He looks depressed.
Tailgate88
AG
dave99ag said:

AggieBarstool
musicforall said:

I've had the same problem. Anyone seen a cardinal or a blue jay lately? On the feeder have been a few doves and some sparrows. Around town I have seen are grackles, pigeons, vultures and hawks, and one hummingbird on my feeder in August. Its like the opposite of The Birds movie.
Yes. I have two males and a female in my backyard (near CS Post Office). I also see sparrows and dove on my feeders. Oh, and can't forget the squirrels!

EDIT: Haven't seen a bluejay in a few weeks.
birdman
Your birds that spend summers here have flown south. Migrants have already passed through. The birds that over winter here haven't arrived in normal numbers because of mild weather.

Next cold snap your feeders will be busy.
txgardengirl
Same here in south CS. Normally now we have started seeing cardinals and jays but our feeder is only getting the local squirrels fatter... I just remarked on this to my family this weekend
labmansid
birdman said:

Your birds that spend summers here have flown south. Migrants have already passed through. The birds that over winter here haven't arrived in normal numbers because of mild weather.

Next cold snap your feeders will be busy.
A lot of truth to this.

In spring and summer, many of our local birds, such as blue jays, cardinals, chickadees, and titmouse are busy trying to keep their growing and hungry young fed, and in the process supplement their food sources heavily from our feeders. When the young birds are grown, they are often pushed to find territories of their own and depart the local area. Some don't survive due to predation and other factors. This means, along with normal migration patterns, that local backyard bird numbers drop for a while during fall.

Soon the finches will arrive in force. Goldfinches and house finches will keep you busy with feeders, especially if you keep them supplied with thistle seed from a "sock" feeder. Robins and waxwings will be arriving soon in large numbers as well, although they don't really frequent feeders since they don't typically eat seeds.

If you keep some suet out, several birds, particularly woodpeckers, will frequent it. Also, if you don't already have one I would suggest some sort of water feature, preferably one with a pump that keeps the water moving. That will also attract birds that don't normally eat from feeders and will increase your sightings.
labmansid
musicforall said:

I have cardinals, chickadees, titmouse, dove, and sparrows year round. Maybe not as many during fall and winter but they are still here. Blue jays are much less frequent now, hardly see them at all. I'm sure they will be back in force in the spring.
Bob2525
Tailgate88 said:

dave99ag said:

What is it about Kroger that attracts crows? Went to Boonville K yesterday with the thousand or so crap monsters in the parking lot. Same at every other one in town. Never see them at HEB.... I'm guessing kroger attracts them with the large natty lite displays while HEB has good beer.
Bob2525
Just figured it out..... Kroger / Crowger.... It all makes sense now!
BMo
Bob2525 said:

Tailgate88 said:

dave99ag said:

What is it about Kroger that attracts crows? Went to Boonville K yesterday with the thousand or so crap monsters in the parking lot. Same at every other one in town. Never see them at HEB.... I'm guessing kroger attracts them with the large natty lite displays while HEB has good beer.
I'm guessing the lighting and the way it attracts bugs.
dallasiteinsa02
BMo said:

Bob2525 said:

Tailgate88 said:

dave99ag said:

I'm guessing the lighting and the way it attracts bugs.

Fitch and 6 gets pretty out of hand as well.
gigem70
AG
There is a hawk that is a frequent visitor to mine and my neighbor's yards. There has been a noticeable reduction in both birds and squirrels since it showed up.
AggieBarstool
My wife and I have had zero luck with a sock feeder. What kind iof seed should we fill it with? Placement?
studioone
you do know that about 90% of the birds fly south to warmer climes in the winter, and almost every rodent/varmint/vermin hibernate when its below 50...

city folk..
legalbird
I quit going to Krogers because of the dirty birds.
labmansid
AggieBarstool said:

My wife and I have had zero luck with a sock feeder. What kind iof seed should we fill it with? Placement?
Sorry for the delay, but I've been out of pocket most of the day.

A sock feeder is designed to hold Niger thistle seed. It is quite small seed, hence the use of the sock to hold it, yet allow the birds to extract it through the small openings. It is used mostly to feed finches. I usually just hang one off of a shepard hook stuck in the ground near my other feeders. Usually they come pre-filled with thistle seed, but maybe not all places do that.
75AG
AG
For many species, we're the "warmer climes". And they still migrate through here.
BaitShack
AG
Several birds on the feeder this morning.
BMo
I have a few in my backyard.

labmansid
Not exactly a "feeder" bird since they eat insects and such, but my Hermit Thrush is back for the winter. They like having fresh water to drink and bathe in.

earwigfly
Thanks, labmansid, I was wondering what that speckled-breasted bird visiting my bird bath was. I've also seen it picking seeds off my Chinese tallow tree.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.