Suddenlink $39.99 "Price for Life" - actual cost?

17,979 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Thisguy1
henrikk
How long do you want to ignore this user?

So, Suddenlink, has a "price for life" promo where they charge $39.99 for Internet 400 unlimited data. New customers only. The promotion at its core may be deceptive since "fees and surcharges" can change at any time thus enabling Suddenlink to make the price in the future anything it wants it to be. Nonetheless, can someone tell me what the actual monthly cost of the $39.99 "price for life" bundle currently is?
jrhmc
AG
We just signed my MIL up for the bundle with the Select package for cable, 400 mbps internet (lowest they will go for the PFL promo), and phone and the cost is $155/month. Still much better than what she had in Livingston but not the $119 that was quoted us when we put in the initial request. I'm going to try to request that they lower it to the Value package for tv but I have low expectations of that happening.
TAMC11
AG
I'll double check but even with renting the router, it's about $52 and I think the router is $10. Whenever my bill jumped up $16 inexplicably to $76, I cancelled and signed up under my wife's name for the Price for Life promotion. I think it's going to pay off.
waltonloads11
AG
For Internet only, it's less than $50 a month after charges
AFM
We switched at the beginning of Nov and got a bill for $45.34 using our modem. The internet worked for 20 days and then we lost the internet. After spending hours talking to multiple reps, we got the internet back but they had to "re-set the account" and now we have to pay $49.99 for the same 400 Mbs (best they can do). So the "price-for-life" lasted 20 days for us.

BrandoC
AG
If you believe anything Suddenlink tells you, you are a fool.
samsal75
AG
$46.44 Total for Internet 400 only. I use my own modem/router. I had a small issue on startup but this was 'fixed' and have had no problems with service.
KenJohse
AG
I am talking to Suddenlink now as my $79.99 per month special just showed up on my invoice at $140+. Plus the address they show on the workorder leaves out vowels. The tech and the customer service rep had different opinions as to my street without the vowels!
TexAg1987
KenJohse said:

I am talking to Suddenlink now as my $79.99 per month special just showed up on my invoice at $140+. Plus the address they show on the workorder leaves out vowels. The tech and the customer service rep had different opinions as to my street without the vowels!
Vowels are extra. Do you even Wheel of Fortune, bro?

Clucky
I had to call 4 different times, and each phone call was over an hour. The first time, I got them down to $160, and they even added some channels. But then my bill showed up and it was $211. So I called again and they said they got it fixed, next bill was $211. I called again, and they said they fixed it, and then the next bill was $285. So I called AGAIN, they said they credited the difference and that it is fixed. We shall see.
AFM
Can someone please comment if going to the Suddenlink's Bryan office on 29th street to settle billing errors would result in better outcome than talking to a rep on the phone? They all seems to give different answers when we call. I do know the line at the actual office is long. TIA
BCStalk
I was told by the lady at the main office that they do not handle billing, TiVo, Altice TV, or pretty much anything. Only service they offer in store is their standard DVR and I'm assuming cell phones since it looks like Verizon in there now.
AboveAndBeyond
And here I am paying $120 for JUST 200mbs internet . And people wonder why I pirate TV off the internet.
95_Aggie
AG
Quote:

And here I am paying $120 for JUST 200mbs internet
That's the thing about Suddenlink ... their pricing is all over the place, depending on who you talk to. I have phone, basic cable tv and internet, but I don't have the phone or tv hooked up because that is the only way I could get a decent price on internet.
TAMC11
AG
AboveAndBeyond said:

And here I am paying $120 for JUST 200mbs internet . And people wonder why I pirate TV off the internet.

I'd recommended cancelling service, legally changing your name, and signing up as a "new" customer.
Gigem314
AG
AboveAndBeyond said:

Yeah we pay a little over $90 for the 200. They've raised rates (after the promo period was over) at least once a year.

I wish they didn't have a such a monopoly in this area. It's a shame we can't get with the 21st century and have some competition in this growing area.
ags2007
AG
TAMC11 said:

I'll double check but even with renting the router, it's about $52 and I think the router is $10. Whenever my bill jumped up $16 inexplicably to $76, I cancelled and signed up under my wife's name for the Price for Life promotion. I think it's going to pay off.
I'm considering doing this since my total bill for 400 MB internet is about $85 per month. I am assuming they didn't give you any grief to cancel in your name and sign up in your wife's? I have my own modem and router, so there really isn't anything I need them to install once I cancel and then sign up again. Do you mind sharing your experience? Was a technician sent out? Was there much lag in service from when cancelled in your name and signed up in your wife's (install, etc.)? Thanks!
Average Joe
AG
ags2007 said:

TAMC11 said:

I'm considering doing this since my total bill for 400 MB internet is about $85 per month. I am assuming they didn't give you any grief to cancel in your name and sign up in your wife's? I have my own modem and router, so there really isn't anything I need them to install once I cancel and then sign up again. Do you mind sharing your experience? Was a technician sent out? Was there much lag in service from when cancelled in your name and signed up in your wife's (install, etc.)? Thanks!
Ditto on all of this.
TAMC11
AG
We just did it under her maiden name. She still has a couple of forms of ID that have her maiden name, but nobody really ever checked up on anything anyway. The guys who come out are contractors and they couldn't care less.
TAMC11
AG
Worst case scenario, just tell them y'all are divorcing, you're moving, and she's starting her own service.
TAMC11
AG
I guess to elaborate further...I set up service under her name online. Once that happened I received a call that someone had signed up for service at my address and asked if I needed to schedule shutoff. I didn't answer so that was in a voicemail so didn't call back. Then they called my wife to schedule service. Once the new installation day was set, I called and acted like I had forgot to cancel and requested cancellation effective immediately. The only downtime was a few hours during the day but we were back up and running when they came out that evening. Like I said in another comment, the technicians are subcontractors so it's not like they're checking IDs or anything. Give it a try and if It starts to go sideways, try the divorce thing.
Enviroag02
AG
Anyone that recently got on the price for life promotion from Suddenlink needs to check their February bill. I and many others in my neighborhood had a $10 increase. Suddenlink is telling us that price for life doesnt really mean the same price for life. I successfully raised enough hell to get a $10 credit, but I'm doing that every single month. Talk about BS!
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
AFM said:

Can someone please comment if going to the Suddenlink's Bryan office on 29th street to settle billing errors would result in better outcome than talking to a rep on the phone? They all seems to give different answers when we call. I do know the line at the actual office is long. TIA
That office is hell on earth. I'd keep my expectations in check on that.
BluHorseShu
AG
Clucky said:

I had to call 4 different times, and each phone call was over an hour. The first time, I got them down to $160, and they even added some channels. But then my bill showed up and it was $211. So I called again and they said they got it fixed, next bill was $211. I called again, and they said they fixed it, and then the next bill was $285. So I called AGAIN, they said they credited the difference and that it is fixed. We shall see.
I had the worst, THE WORST, customer service experience with Suddenlink after we moved from one house within B/CS to another. They told us there would be no transfer fee, and as soon as we moved into the new house we were hit with $100 transfer fee. I spent hours on the phone trying to rectify it and each time they said..."okay, we've fixed it and you're all set" . This happened across 3 billing cycles and each time they claimed we were short by $100. I know the phrase "going postal" is cliche....but if I have to call again, I will go "Suddenlink" all over them.
So now when we get the bill in the mail, I just rock myself rhythmically in the corner until I can coax myself to open it.
I cannot wait for the day when another cable company is able to compete in town....so at least I'll have a honeymoon period with the new company before I learn to hate them too.

BrazosWifi
Enviroag02 said:

Anyone that recently got on the price for life promotion from Suddenlink needs to check their February bill. I and many others in my neighborhood had a $10 increase. Suddenlink is telling us that price for life doesnt really mean the same price for life. I successfully raised enough hell to get a $10 credit, but I'm doing that every single month. Talk about BS!
Well, that didn't take long for them to screw everyone again.
Sponsor Message: http://BrazosWiFi.com | Fast and reliable internet for the Brazos Valley | info@BrazosWiFi.com | 979-999-7000
Enviroag02
AG
I filed an FCC complaint and got a call back within 48 hours. I was told that their system automatically applied the $10 increased INCORRECTLY to accounts with the price for life promo. She corrected mine permanently; however, when I asked what they are doing to correct everyone else's accounts, she said it was on the customer to call about it. So they admit to making a mistake, but they will collect that stolen $10, unless the customer calls. That's some BS.
fulofenergy
I've shared my suddenlink horror story before, here it is:

between July 1st and September 1st 2018, it took 31 phone calls totaling 434 minutes, 6 technician visits, and $389.70 (not including my monthly internet bill) for Suddenlink Communications to finally send someone out to fix my internet. They reran the line from the main junction to my house, made me buy a new router the whole 9 yards. It never got fixed - I had outages multiple times a day, and when there was internet is was 1/10 the speed I was paying for. I just accepted the fact that I would have ****ty internet. Once I moved, I was setting up the internet at my new house and while on the phone the support agent noticed that they had my router registered as something different than what it was and what they had my router registered as was not compatible with the service I signed up for....

When suddenlink works, it works great. but lord forbid you ever have any problems because it will be countless hours waiting on the phone and incompetent techs.
halibut sinclair
Just got our latest bill from Suddenlink - it went down 30 bucks from last month and I didn't do a thing.
LOYAL AG
AG
These threads make me glad I don't have Suddenlink. WISP isn't 200MB but it's not this big a pain in the ass either. What a nightmare of a company.
Thisguy1
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

AFM said:

That office is hell on earth. I'd keep my expectations in check on that.

I've never gone into that office and left feeling happy. I can't tell you how many times I've gone in there only for them to tell me they can't do that at the office, when I received instructions on the phone to go to the local office to solve an issue. I actually have no idea what they actually can do.
runnrboy
AG
Just got back from the Suddenlink office ... what a cluster. Actually, it wasn't the worse experience I've had there and the line moved pretty fast. Once I got up to the customer service person, I asked about reducing the cost. She said, "we can't do that here." "All we can do is remove services or devices to reduce the cost, but that's about it." "You will need to call and ask for a repackage." WTH? I then asked if the price for life is truly a price for life. She said yes, but only for the core stuff. Suddenlink can add fees and charges at anytime. WTH?? So I'll see what happens after calling.
dallasiteinsa02
They have already added additional fees to the price for life people to raise the price. The base rate is the same but if you are paying two new fees for $4.95 each that is still an increase. They are going to get sued in some class action at some point which I am sure after two years I will get two free on demand movies for my extra $237.60 that is a scam.
JR Ewing
AG
I recommend filing a complaint about unfair trade practices with the BBB on Altice (Suddenlink). They need their ratings to go down. I filed a complaint, and they responded with, "well, we are within our rights to Jack your rates by $20.50 per month". I replied that I was not satisfied with their resolution.
Tariny
They just jacked my bill up by $32 a month because they felt like it. I try so very hard not to get upset with the person on the phone, I know it's not their fault. When I called them earlier, it sounded like I got a call center in India, so it's not even local jobs anymore and probably explains the very long wait times, that call center is probably for all of Altice, not just Brazos county Supposedly he is sending me an email that will tell me how I can apply for a better deal, but it has not arrived yet, ugh.
Thisguy1
I talked to a guy who's worked at my house before when he was with Suddenlink. Told me last time he talked to someone in the company they only had 2 or 3 techs. They have to contract out to get people to come work here in BCS.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.