Cracks, crumbling concrete force emergency closure of Century Square parking garage

14,157 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Stupe
jello123
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Cracks-crumbling-concrete-force-emergency-closure-of-Century-Square-parking-garage-565400501.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_KBTX_Media&fbclid=IwAR3KqJ4WixNsx5NepBu38B1v4uyJsKt65w9vY8YZZC3nBBpCapmzof726TI
Lovebird
This does not surprise me. As a regular customer that garage has been deteriorating ever since it opened.
MisterShipWreck
This is ridiculous, considering how recently the place was built
doubledog
jello123 said:

https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Cracks-crumbling-concrete-force-emergency-closure-of-Century-Square-parking-garage-565400501.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_KBTX_Media&fbclid=IwAR3KqJ4WixNsx5NepBu38B1v4uyJsKt65w9vY8YZZC3nBBpCapmzof726TI
Just in time for Christmas (parties).
CrazyAgE
They need to open up all of the other parking as free while this is being dealt with. Especially with the winter break approaching.
Vinewood_03
Not an Engineer, but the size of that crack looks like a big, and very expensive problem. Feels like a pending lawsuit....
redd38
AG
CrazyAgE said:

They need to open up all of the other parking as free while this is being dealt with. Especially with the winter break approaching.

From the link,

"there will be no charge for customers parking in the surface lots at Century Square"
aggiepaintrain
AG
who built it?
Belton Ag
AG
Sounds like an excellent opportunity to double the parking fees.
CS78
That'll buff out!
AggieP18
That's some major settlement for the crack to open up like that all of a sudden, could be a sinking pier somewhere.
Picadillo
Never trust a concrete man younger than 65. Concrete additives are a multi-million industry and sometimes the quest for quick curing has its side effects.
95_Aggie
AG
OK ... I have a dumb question. I thought the way to access the theater was through the parking garage. Can you get in from street level? Stairs?
BCStalk
Yeah it's facing University. You take an escalator up to the lobby.
fcag
AG
95_Aggie said:

OK ... I have a dumb question. I thought the way to access the theater was through the parking garage. Can you get in from street level? Stairs?

Yes. If I remember correctly, there's an escalator to take you up to the lobby.

Edit: I was too slow typing.
95_Aggie
AG
Thank you!
wareagle044
I worked out of Century Square for a while and since Day 1 - we had a safety complaint into corporate about that parking garage. None of the buildings there were built very well at all.
redd38
AG
wareagle044 said:

I worked out of Century Square for a while and since Day 1 - we had a safety complaint into corporate about that parking garage. None of the buildings there were built very well at all.

I forget the details of this development, but doesn't the University own it after like 20 years? So maybe they only build it well enough to hopefully survive 20 years.
happyinBCS
It is open all is good
TexasAggie_02
AG
happyinBCS said:

It is open all is good

MisterShipWreck

CivilAg10
AG
Just which 'concrete man' are you referring to: The one who specified the mix design, the one who batched it, or the one who placed it? Inquiring minds would like to know.
Scruffy
AG
Until a P.E. comes out and put his/her livelihood on the line to approve this structure, I wouldn't park there.

Same thing happened with Kyle field's south zone.
First year some fans began to complain the stands flexed a lot. TAMU said it was supposed to. On the zoo a licensed P.E. called them out and siad basically "this is my P.E. # and I'm saying these bleachers shouldn't move this much". That year while building the west stands they reinforced the south zone.

Look at how the UCG (what was the Koldous) Garage has sunk so that many vehicles cannot enter.

While this isn't TAMU property, I would still be hesitant to take anything the "management" says as true or factual. I would require them to produce the structural engineer they hired to evaluate the garage and have him/her publicly stake their reputation and livelihood on this judgement.
turfman80
AG
Yeah, well, sometimes nothing is a real cool hand
bushytailed
AG
https://www.kbtx.com/app/2021/10/24/authorities-close-century-square-parking-garage/

Here we go again.
Eliminatus
AG
I am not a structural engineer and never will be. That being said, I have been in a lot of parking garages across this nation and I swear none of them have felt as jank as that Century Square one. Except for maybe the NorthPoint one which I think is just a carbon copy of the CS one anyways. I have an extremely healthy disregard for my own safety and wellbeing in general but I always cringe a little going into that place.

This does not surprise me. I wonder what actually caused the complaint.
bcstx06
What's going on with the bricks of the building there that houses MES Waffles? They have been missing for what seems like years now.

I know the developers do better work then that. I have been to many of there properties in Houston.
Smeghead4761
I always hate that garage just because it's so dang cramped, and then they use perpendicular instead of angled parking spaces.

And then, just to make things even tighter, people insist on taking full size pickups and Suburbans in there.
EMY92
AG
Trucks and truck based SUVs make up over 50% of the vehicles on the road in Texas. If a parking garage isn't designed to accomodate that in Texas, they used a poor architect.
AG81
AG
Langenator said:

I always hate that garage just because it's so dang cramped, and then they use perpendicular instead of angled parking spaces.

And then, just to make things even tighter, people insist on taking full size pickups and Suburbans in there.
That wouldn't happen if they didn't make you pay for surface lot parking. I haven't been to Century Square since they started charging for parking and won't until they stop. Haven't missed anything by not going.
Hornbeck
EMY92 said:

Trucks and truck based SUVs make up over 50% of the vehicles on the road in Texas. If a parking garage isn't designed to accomodate that in Texas, they used a poor architect.

Have you looked around at the vehicles that average young man at Texas A&M is driving?

It's not an 87 Honda Civic anymore. It's a 2020 F250 diesel.
maroon barchetta
Hornbeck said:

EMY92 said:

Have you looked around at the vehicles that average young man at Texas A&M is driving?

And a 2021 Jeep for the gals.
Smeghead4761
Hornbeck said:

EMY92 said:

Which has never carried anything heavier in the bed than a couple of coolers of beer and ice. And maybe a few drunk buddies of the driver. And it has a shiny chrome hitch that has never been used.
maroon barchetta
Langenator said:

Hornbeck said:

EMY92 said:

Which has never carried anything heavier in the bed than a couple of coolers of beer and ice. And maybe a few drunk buddies of the driver. And it has a shiny chrome hitch that has never been used.

And a bumper hitch at that.
TyHolden
AG
redd38 said:

CrazyAgE said:

From the link,

"there will be no charge for customers parking in the surface lots at Century Square"
that's bull***** i got a ticket tonight.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.