Cracks, crumbling concrete force emergency closure of Century Square parking garage

14,158 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Stupe
texasaggie04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MaximusDMeridius said:

redd38 said:

CrazyAgE said:

They need to open up all of the other parking as free while this is being dealt with. Especially with the winter break approaching.

From the link,

"there will be no charge for customers parking in the surface lots at Century Square"
that's bull***** i got a ticket tonight.

Look at dates. That post was from 2019.
TyHolden
AG
texasaggie04 said:

MaximusDMeridius said:

redd38 said:

CrazyAgE said:

They need to open up all of the other parking as free while this is being dealt with. Especially with the winter break approaching.

From the link,

"there will be no charge for customers parking in the surface lots at Century Square"
Look at dates. That post was from 2019.
oh **** - **** me
Hornbeck
MaximusDMeridius said:

redd38 said:

CrazyAgE said:

From the link,

Post of the day.
TyHolden
AG
Hornbeck said:

MaximusDMeridius said:

redd38 said:

CrazyAgE said:

From the link,

Post of the day.
I even told a couple students that were paying that parking was free. Damn, I owe them $20.
AgProgrammer
AG
I got a $20 "citation" there today. Let's just say it's not exactly going to be on the top of my priority list to pay.
Bucketrunner
So did we. Walked into the King Ranch store for five minutes. Ticket person must have been lurking around the corner.

I don't see me paying that, although the threat is that our car will be towed the next time we go there because they (gasp!) have our license number. I'm thinking we'll just go there in the pickup if we want anything from there.

What a perfect way to keep people from shopping there. I am NOT paying to park for five minutes.
techno-ag
AG
Rather than start a new thread, I thought this belonged here.

https://wtaw.com/citations-issued-during-free-parking-event-at-century-square/

Chelsea Reber got a ticket. Not everybody has a radio show to complain about it, though.

Quote:

This past Saturday, there was a Holiday Artisan Christmas Market on the Green at Century Square in College Station.

College Station Mayor John Nichols and Councilwoman Linda Harvell both promoted the event during their recent visits on WTAW's The Infomaniacs. Both also promoted free parking during the event.

I went to the event and parked in surface parking without paying because I had heard Mayor Nichols and Councilwoman Harvell's interviews. When I got back to my car, there was a $25 citation from Century Square on my windshield.

During The Infomaniacs on Monday morning, I discussed my experience and played the audio from the past shows when the free parking was promoted.

Perhaps she should have used the parking garage?
JMac03
AG
I've gotten two tickets there. Totally my fault. Had no one to complain to but myself.
happyinBCS
why, if it is free parking that was promoted.
maroon barchetta
happyinBCS said:

Exactly

Enough with the victim shaming
Hornbeck
Methinks Century Square is turning a pretty good profit on these parking violations. I don't go there generally, mainly because of the negative posts like this on TexAgs. Not worth the hassle.
cslifer
Why on earth would anyone actually pay a "citation" written by a private company?
philothea
maroon barchetta said:

happyinBCS said:

Exactly

Enough with the victim shaming
Last year the artisan market was on a Sunday and the surface parking is free on a Sunday. Another reason I don't understand why they switched to a Saturday. A few vendors I know can't do Saturdays since they are already at Farmers' Markets on Saturdays.

I was curious to how well attended it was being on a Saturday.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
cslifer said:

Why on earth would anyone actually pay a "citation" written by a private company?

I got one in the wife's car many months ago. We've been there since (in the wife's car) and I've paid to park but nothing else has happened (yet)

But I'm sure me posting this is just inviting something to happen now…

Edit: meant to say I got the ticket and then lost it in the car and never did anything to pay it.
techno-ag
AG
happyinBCS said:

No shaming, it's just my understanding the garage is always free. Perhaps that's what the mayor and city staff meant by free parking? Dunno.
jphil1
AG
We were there today. The garage us closed but parking is definitely not free. Century Square owes me 6.70
jphil1
AG
jphil1 said:

We were there today. The garage is closed but parking is definitely not free. Century Square owes me 6.70
carolinaag1
AG
They will tow you if you don't pay the citation
Belton Ag
AG
carolinaag1 said:

They will tow you if you don't pay the citation
You're saying a private company would come to your residence or place of work and take possession of your vehicle, after the fact, over a private parking citation? Or that they would have you towed the next time you parked in that lot?

Most they will do is turn you over to a collection agency.

carolinaag1
AG
they will tow you from century square
I was told by an attorney that no reason to pay for parking there. They cannot enforce or collect on tickets
Was towed recently and absolutely no recourse. Had to pay to get car back out of towing yard.
lawless89
Last time I was there, I had to pay for parking because my truck doesn't fit in the garage. No big deal as it's only a few bucks. We had dinner at the pizza place and then come out to find a ticket on my truck. I tracked down the parking attendant and he said that it was a mistake and he'd take it off, but he barely spoke English and I wasn't confident in what he was saying. Luckily nothing ever came of it but still pretty frustrated that they can't even figure that part out.
legalbird
It's not a private firm writing tickets.
maroon barchetta
Looked like it to me.

It's not UPD or CSPD or PTTS or any other government entity.
dogowner
We went to Hopdoddys last week. Saw the clearly marked signage saying we had to pay for parking and paid for it, didn't rely on something we may or may not have heard in the past. No ticket. only paid for 15 minutes and ate for an hour.
Belton Ag
AG
legalbird said:

Then what public entity is it?
Stupe
S
legalbird said:

If a private firm isn't writing the tickets, why is a private firm in charge of collecting the payment for the tickets? Why is the phone number a Houston area code?

Quote:

For parking or citation issues, please email LAZ Parking at fruiz@lazparking.com or call 281.414.9716.
That is directly from the parking section of the website.
AgGunNut
AG
Neither TAMU or COCS enforce parking at Century Square. The ticket writers are part of the commercial entity. The only government parking enforcement there would be under state statute enforceable on private property (handicap and fire lane/hydrant violations) or violating city ordinance for parking in front of dumpsters that COCS needs access to.
75AG
AG
Can they have you towed? Screw paying a parking fine to a private company. But towing is another matter.

Edited: just saw where someone had been towed. Sorry.
Belton Ag
AG
75AG said:

Can they have you towed? Screw paying a parking fine to a private company. But towing is another matter.
Someone should post a picture of the citation. I'd bet it's all written down in the fine print.
AgGunNut
AG
Yes, they can legally tow just the same as an apartment complex can have you towed for not having a parking permit or any other private parking lot can have you towed for not paying (think Coyote lot at Northgate).

I'm also sure they can send you to collections just like any other business could for an unpaid bill. There's nothing earth-shattering or remotely illegal about what they are doing, this community just has an aversion to paid parking. Their set up is a dime a dozen in any major city.
Bucketrunner
It's just a n inconvenience we choose not to bother with. Hunting a pay station that may or may not work and going out of our way - it isn't the money.
techno-ag
AG
Bucketrunner said:

It's just a n inconvenience we choose not to bother with. Hunting a pay station that may or may not work and going out of our way - it isn't the money.
Agreed.
Stupe
S
Bucketrunner said:

Yep.

The only place that we go there on a regular basis is the running store. Anything else is only if it's a function of some sort.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.