What is your favorite Christmas lights memory?

2,026 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Greener LawnScapes
TexAgs Sponsors
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
AG
Some of us prefer Christmas lights seen from afar across a pasture and some prefer to see the neighborhoods all lit up. We'd l love to hear your favorite stories!

There's lots to do to get ready for the holidays, let us check one thing off your to do list! Contact us to install your Christmas lights and we'll take the hassle of ladders, roofs, and tangled wire off your hands! We use professional quality super bright LED bulbs that will last years and years or if you already have your own professional quality Christmas lights, we can give you an estimate for install only. We cut everything to fit your house perfectly with extension cords tucked away and every light its own clip. Every install comes with its own light sensing timer. All you have to do sit back and enjoy the festive look!

Thanks,
Daniel Sherrod
979-705-9545
https://greenerlawnscapes.com/
Whachutalnbout Willys
AG
war hymn aggie
AG
when I was a kid back in the early '70's, the family took a trip to the woods somewhere North of Bryan (ala Christmas Vacation, except we lived here in Aggieland). Our family didn't have a lot of disposable income, as my dad worked 2 jobs (A&M at the Cyclotron & Montgomery Wards as a TV repairman) just to make ends meet. He had recently married my mom & adopted me & my 2 sisters to boot. My new dad was allowed on the property of a co-worker of his at A&M & he took the family to help pick out the family Christmas tree. He picked out the "perfect" tree, a cedar tree, which seemed about 18-20 feet tall at the time. My older sister, who was about 14-15 tried to tell my dad that is was too big because it wouldn't fit in our house, which had ceilings of 8'. My dad just laughed & told her that we were going to use only half of the tree, but my sister couldn't understand the concept & kept insisting that if you cut off the top half, then the tree would be RUINED (for old Ags, see Coryatt vs Buckley argument). After a lengthy explanation, she FINALLY got that we were using the top & not the bottom of the tree as our Christmas tree. She's the bright one in the family & in her 20's asked me if squirrels "laid eggs or had their babies live".

We ended up cutting down & dragging that tree for a good ways (musta been at least 1/4 mile) & loaded that sucker on top of our new Ford Pinto Station wagon. I'm sure that it was a sight to behold, as we made our trek back home to our homestead on Lawyer Lane.

It was the simplest of Christmases but that Christmas tree experience will forever bring a laugh & a smile whenever I recall that cloudy & cool day.

Later that year, we decorated that tree with lights that were all green. back in those days, if one bulb burned out, then the entire string of lights ceased to light up. One day, we looked & there was a red light blinking amidst the green one & yours truly got the blame. I vehemently denied it, but it fell on deaf ears. I was like 9 or 10 at the time & just loved the lights of that tree. I'll now admit (at 57 years old) that I changed that one light. The green one had burnt out so I replaced it. Not sure why I had denied it but I did. The family for many years brought it up about the mystery but only me really knew the truth (& now you guys, do too).

My dad & my mom are still alive & living in CS today. They are both in their 80's but their minds are fading. My mom, rapidly, my dad, slowly.....I keep telling myself to record them with their answers of the memories that they had as children themselves & of us as a family & the stories that they would like to tell their ancestors about themselves......The holidays are coming & for me, it's memories like the "Christmas tree hunt" that i'll always remember.
Greener LawnScapes
What a great memory! Family and the holidays are the best!
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
- Standing on top of a roof messing with those old incandescent bulbs, in south college station years back. Job was almost done, and was unscrewing broken glass blubs from live sockets to make it 100% .

Radio was on playing the Auburn & Alabama game, constant light rain... Alabama's field goal at 0:00 got caught by Auburn, & Auburn returns for TD. Very Happy Homeowner who now had the most lights in the subdivision, with zero bulbs out.
Greener LawnScapes
Ha thankfully LEDs are the way to go these days!
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
Greener LawnScapes said:

Ha thankfully LEDs are the way to go these days!

Yes LEDS are awesome, Plus you can add lots of color to houses. I remember years ago when the full switch to LED's took over for most ppl..

No more broken bulbs + less time to install + lower energy bills for having quality lights. Buy lights once and they last for years)

Fun Fact: We've had a strand of LED lights on inside our office for 4 years now & not a single bulb has burnt out. 8760 hrs/ yr x 4 yrs = 35,040 hrs and counting..

Homeowners who love the Astros = Blue, Orange & White

Homeowners who love America = Red, White & Blue

Homeowners who love Red & White = Red & White

PPL who want ALL BLUE = A 1000 Blue LED Bulbs ; Fun stuff !

The best I think is all Red & Pure White w/ colorful trees and accent bushes around exterior, with some hot glueing of bulbs to make it perfect around any archways for bonus points.

• A Hot Glue Gun + Christmas Lights = Best house on block.

rodan85
AG
Rex Racer
AG
It was mid-November of 2017. I was out putting up the Christmas lights in the yard. I sat down on the deck for a minute to sip some iced tea that my wife had made me. Around the corner of the house, I saw a little head peeking at me. I looked away for a second and it disappeared. I then heard my wife tapping on the window and pointing behind me. I turned around, and there was a 6 month old kitten behind me. My wife brought out some scrambled eggs and bacon. I gave a little bit to the kitten, and she ended up following me around for the rest of the day as I put up our lights. We ended up taking her to the vet to see if she was chipped. She wasn't. I grew attached to her, and she to me (my wife calls me her "mommy"). Anyway, little Pumpkin has been with us for two years and is a great addition to our family.

Oh, and Daniel and his crew have been doing a great job on our lawn for years now. Thanks, Daniel!
Greener LawnScapes
Thanks Rex Racer! We're happy you're pleased with service!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.