Lupe Tortilla restaurant, Good or bad?

6,555 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by australopithecus robustus
eloc62
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So I was looking for a place to eat out for our November family birthday celebration dinner when i was at the Barnes & Noble store the other day, and noticed Lupe Tortilla. We have never eaten there, but thought it might be a place to check out. Any recs or reviews?
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
It's decent. Their fajitas are pretty good if you like a heavy lime flavor. Flautas are also good. They give you free beans to dip your chips in and I love those things. All the other stuff I've had there is pretty pedestrian.
TxSquarebody
Second for it's decent. I enjoy their ground beef enchiladas, wife just gets a quesadilla.
montegobay
It's good. Service can usually be a little iffy. Expect to spend about 1/3 more than you would at most other Mexican places.
Txmoe
AG
Somewhere between fair and decent seems about right to me but I know some people who love it. Their prices seem noticeably higher than other comparable places.
BCStalk
I would also say fair. Service has always been terrible, but I kinda like the fajitas better than other places.
halibut sinclair
It's our favorite non-local Mexican place.
DFWag84
get the pepper steak, it's delicious and their queso is the best in town
unmade bed
I like Lupe Tortilla.

I would rate it a hair under Abuelos but above Chuys, Casa Ole, and On the Border as far as the chain Mexican restaurants go.
australopithecus robustus
You actually wouldn't expect it but the best queso is at CafeEccell. They actually have awesome fajitas too
treyyates
AG
We absolutely love there fajitas
Bucketrunner
I like their chicken fajita tortilla wrap with the crunchy tortilla strips and cilantro sauce. The chicken tastes like it was just grilled and not thawed out and warmed up. Their charro beans are legit, and a healthier option than the refried.
kyledr04
AG
Best chain Mexican restaurant in town. Love the enchiladas and fajitas
Its Not Rocket Surgery
AG
Its Not Rocket Surgery
AG
Soft chicken tacos!
mr83tr88
AG
For a 'chain' restaurant, they are amazing philanthropists!! The founder and his wife volunteer with some great organizations in the Houston area. They personally helped our family several years ago when we were dealing with expensive medical issues! For that alone, I would choose them over another chain Tex-mex place but we also enjoy the food!!
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Didn't know this. Good stuff.
Wicked Good Ag
australopithecus robustus said:

You actually wouldn't expect it but the best queso is at CafeEccell. They actually have awesome fajitas too

Not so sure this is the place for your ad. And the queso at Cafe Excell doesn't compare to the one you had a La Bodega at the old location
Love Gun
Personally, I'm not a fan. The food was just alright and the service sucked ass. In my opinion, now that Ninfa's finally closed, they are now tied with Chuy's as the worst Mexican restaurant in town. I would actually give Chuy's the edge because the food is better.

I think the best Mexican food in the area is actually outside of B-CS. My go-to for good food is La Casita in Navasota. My favorite local place (mainly due to the drinks and decent food) is Los Cucos in Bryan. That one is CS is garbage.
Lovebird
If you want a really good Mexican restaurant, just past downtown on WJB is Corona's. Really good homemade Mexican food and the store next door has excellent homemade Mexican ice cream.
birdman
Very good fajitas
Jetty
AG
We love their fajitas and Margaritas!
MrsGDub04
AG
If you have kids the patio is nice. There are heaters out there and a playground for kids to play on. We like the fajitas, but it being so kid friendly is probably what pulls us there!
taxpreparer
AG
What will surpise many people is the best quesp in town isfrom Pepe's on S. College in Bryan.
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
Lovebird
Yes I think so also but that's not popular opinion
Post removed:
by user
RGRAg1/75
AG
taxpreparer said:

What will surpise many people is the best quesp in town isfrom Pepe's on S. College in Bryan.

I'll have to try it. Personally, my #1 is the poblano queso at Fuego. Amazing.
TAMU1990
AG
Shrimp tacos are very good!
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Eh. You could do better but you could do worse. At least someone finally convinced the chain to get rid of their mildly racist terminology on the menu. Cheeken? I don't know how they got away with it.
taxpreparer
AG
While you are there, give their guacamole a shot. It is also excellent. Beware, the building is fifty years old and looks it.
RGRAg1/75
AG
Thx for the tip. Is the queso white or yellow cheese?
taxpreparer
AG
Yellow.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
taxpreparer said:

While you are there, give their guacamole a shot. It is also excellent. Beware, the building is fifty years old and looks it.

Guacamole and queso mixed together is an underrated snack.
Picadillo
Average. Ba$terized Tex Mex for gringos. Spotty service.
eloc62
Fonzie Scheme said:

taxpreparer said:

Guacamole and queso mixed together is an underrated snack.
Doesn't anything mixed with queso make for a good snack?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.