Chi St. Joseph ER S College Station

6,031 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by EBrazosAg
new straw
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Congrats! You've just proposed healthcare for all!
talich
EBrazosAg said:

talich said:

MisterShipWreck said:

I had to have an MRI last year, and I did not feel like waiting to get insurance approval. I called around, and found a place for $420 locally. Cash price. St Joseph wanted $1000 cash price.

I had one again last month. The insurance paid this time. My part was still almost $350. When they bill the insurance, they charge over $1200.

So, using insurance did not save me much.

That being said, I still do not want the government to take over health care. The federal govt cannot do anything right. I do not want them in charge of my health care.
I'm curious, do you have the MRI at different places?

Another possible reason: early MRI machines are very expensive so hospitals have to charge more. However, newer machines are way cheaper and the new facilities can charge way less. So many times different places have very different prices. And the ironic thing is that the newer machines are not only cheaper, but better...

No one has a "early MRI" in TX, maybe USA. They were around in the 90's. They all are pretty good and all close to same in purchase price. Avoid "open MRI" if you can just because open = less powerful = worse picture.

The price difference is Hospital Outpatient (HOPD) vs Freestanding Imagjng Center prices. Bryan Radiology had only freestanding. St Joe bought it and prices went up next day. So there are no low prices in BCS. In general the Physician Center has best HOPD prices around. I will actually drive to Houston or Austin suburbs for outpatient imaging at better centers for better prices. With a high deductible plan it matters. If you have Tamu insurance probably doesn't matter.
I guess you are right. This is a way bigger problem now. Anything associated with hospital will have a increased price tag. The hospitals invested a lot in the past decade and have a lot of debt to pay. Also more doctors are now with hospitals and were pushed to give more/unnecessary tests using hospital's facility. The insurance companies are now in a weaker position to challenge these practice.
EBrazosAg
AG
talich said:

EBrazosAg said:

talich said:

MisterShipWreck said:

I had to have an MRI last year, and I did not feel like waiting to get insurance approval. I called around, and found a place for $420 locally. Cash price. St Joseph wanted $1000 cash price.

I had one again last month. The insurance paid this time. My part was still almost $350. When they bill the insurance, they charge over $1200.

So, using insurance did not save me much.

That being said, I still do not want the government to take over health care. The federal govt cannot do anything right. I do not want them in charge of my health care.
I'm curious, do you have the MRI at different places?

Another possible reason: early MRI machines are very expensive so hospitals have to charge more. However, newer machines are way cheaper and the new facilities can charge way less. So many times different places have very different prices. And the ironic thing is that the newer machines are not only cheaper, but better...

No one has a "early MRI" in TX, maybe USA. They were around in the 90's. They all are pretty good and all close to same in purchase price. Avoid "open MRI" if you can just because open = less powerful = worse picture.

The price difference is Hospital Outpatient (HOPD) vs Freestanding Imagjng Center prices. Bryan Radiology had only freestanding. St Joe bought it and prices went up next day. So there are no low prices in BCS. In general the Physician Center has best HOPD prices around. I will actually drive to Houston or Austin suburbs for outpatient imaging at better centers for better prices. With a high deductible plan it matters. If you have Tamu insurance probably doesn't matter.
I guess you are right. This is a way bigger problem now. Anything associated with hospital will have a increased price tag. The hospitals invested a lot in the past decade and have a lot of debt to pay. Also more doctors are now with hospitals and were pushed to give more/unnecessary tests using hospital's facility. The insurance companies are now in a weaker position to challenge these practice.

Hospitals - at least the locals - don't push employee docs to order more or unnecessary test .... but they do pressure to refer to their labs and imaging center, etc.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.