Chi St. Joseph ER S College Station

6,023 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by EBrazosAg
backinbcs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So I admit, I don't get out much but this doesn't seem right to me. Had to take my significant other to the subject ER a few weeks ago. Turned out to be nothing serious. Got a bill from the ER for $12,600+. We were there less than 4 hours. They did do a CT Scan. That alone was $7,000. Got another bill from the doctor where he charged $1,300+. He was in the room for maybe 5-7 minutes. That's almost $14,000 total. 14,000! Insurance with one of the biggest, if not the biggest employer in CS, other than TAMU covered about 75%. To me, almost unbelievable.
Broncos
Ok.
Stupe
S
The ER is like a convenience store, overnight shipping, or fast passes at an amusement park. You are going to pay more because you are seeking something immediate.

If you were in and out of an ER in four hours, you should be thankful.
75AG
AG
Unfortunately, $3,500 out-of-pocket expense is not unusual for an ER visit. Especially if a CT is involved.
JP76
I see the cat scans billed to insurance from st joes have went up since 2007. Back then an upper was $2750 and lower was $2750. Cash price without insurance was $500 each. I ended up paying more for my visit after insurance paid their part then if I had not had insurance and just paid cash. 12 years later and the system still remains broken.
happyinBCS
The health care system in America is totally broken. I was in Scotland this summer thought I was having a heart issue went to a hospital in Inverness they ran every test you could run top to bottom I was in the ER for about 6 hours The cardiologist finally determined I had an acid reflux attack (never have had it in my life that is why it scared me and I thought I was having a heart issue) They treated me like a king, the charge was ZERO they said that Americans have reciprocity while traveling in the UK
MisterShipWreck
I had to have an MRI last year, and I did not feel like waiting to get insurance approval. I called around, and found a place for $420 locally. Cash price. St Joseph wanted $1000 cash price.

I had one again last month. The insurance paid this time. My part was still almost $350. When they bill the insurance, they charge over $1200.

So, using insurance did not save me much.

That being said, I still do not want the government to take over health care. The federal govt cannot do anything right. I do not want them in charge of my health care.
75AG
AG
I appreciate your thoughts. However, I don't know anyone on Medicare who doesn't like it.
cavscout96
AG
Seriously? I don't know anyone on Medicare who DOES like it.
BrandoC
AG
I mean do you have health insurance.......?
75AG
AG
cavscout96 said:

Seriously? I don't know anyone on Medicare who DOES like it.

Interesting. All my friends on Medicare like it. Lower premiums (if any) and it damn near pays for everything.
Stupe
S
happyinBCS said:

The health care system in America is totally broken. I was in Scotland this summer thought I was having a heart issue went to a hospital in Inverness they ran every test you could run top to bottom I was in the ER for about 6 hours The cardiologist finally determined I had an acid reflux attack (never have had it in my life that is why it scared me and I thought I was having a heart issue) They treated me like a king, the charge was ZERO they said that Americans have reciprocity while traveling in the UK

"Totally broken"

That statement is laughable.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
AG
I had a CT scan of my head for $300 cash. Got the itemized bill later. Regular price: $2,604.

CHI St. Joe's
BCStalk
So is it cheaper to die or go to the ER? Might help me decide on my next visit....On a serious note though. My last trip to the ER was for one severed finger tip and one partially severed finger tip. I don't recall most of the visit due to some amazing little pill they gave me, but the bill was north of 8k and I am pretty sure I paid roughly 1k out of my pocket. Not bad in my opinion considering that I can still type on a computer and take selfies(assuming that's what the kids still call it) the same as before my injury. Medical care is expensive. People don't understand that a single MRI machine can cost a quarter million to buy and tens of thousands of dollars to maintain each year. Add the cost of the building, employee, supplies, ect. I'm not saying that it's not overpriced, but until we stop the free ER visits for people without means to pay, this is what the paying public will face.
Jinx
BCStalk said:

I'm not saying that it's not overpriced, but until we stop the free ER visits for people without means to pay, this is what the paying public will face.

Out of curiosity, what then do you think someone should do when they don't have means to pay and actually need an ER?
BCStalk
Get insurance. I've had it since I was 18 years old making $5.45 an hour. Problem is that most places that offer it also require full time employment and actual work, which is something people refuse to do. I've been in the manufacturing industry for almost 20 years and with the exception of 2009 and 2015, it's been in heavily need of employees. You can also get a job as a mechanic at almost any dealership with bare minimum skills. I would not say that every person has the means to pay for medical care, but the vast majority do but refuse.
doubledog

I don't know any medical care provider who likes Medicare. Medicare does not pay enough (I am told).
75AG
AG
doubledog said:

I don't know any medical care provider who likes Medicare. Medicare does not pay enough (I am told).

Correct. Providers do not like the reimbursement. But as stated above, I've never met a patient who doesn't like Medicare. If you have Part A, B, and D, it's good coverage.
Post removed:
by user
Stupe
S
I don't know where you are getting that from.

The only TAMU insurance that is "crappy" is the EPO , but that is the case with any EPO.
Post removed:
by user
cslifer
So you are basing your argument on 10 year old information? That explains a lot.
Stupe
S
Which one did you have? EPO, HMO, PPO?
momlaw
AG
OP, if you have insurance wait for adjustments before going nuts.
If you do not have insurance go in and talk to them about cash pricing.
momlaw
iisanaggie
AG
I thank God every day for the TAMU insurance! Who these days has a $400 deductible and a out of pocket maximum of 5k a year?!?!?! Not very many! I can also go to almost any doc or clinic in the country if I needed to. I have a chronic health condition. I usually meet my deductible in the first month or two. One of my meds would cost be almost 10k a month without insurance. The A&M plan has never denied any of my meds or claims! You might want to research how it is now before you blast it.

One reason ER's have gotten so expensive is because people who use them cannot pay anything or those who use it as their PCP. Those hospitals have to make up the difference using those who have insurance or can pay. I am starting to see targeted marketing by hospitals and doctor's offices explaining when you should and should not go to the ER. Severed appendages...yes! Ear infection....no!
Stupe
S
How dare you throw facts into this conversation.
legalbird
In most parts of Europe and the rest of the world an aspirin is prescribed for most ailments/injuries, and you are asked to return in 48 hours of conditions worsen...THAT IS BROKEN

The problem here is too many hands in the cookie jar. Health insurance should be simple like car or life insurance. It is not a complex issue. It is an issue of too many businesses and politicians lining their pockets.

For the un-insured, turn broken down malls/shopping centers into free health care marts.

Post removed:
by user
Stupe
S
Well, of course you hated it.

EPO is the cheapest option for a reason...it sucks when it comes to freedom of health care provider options.

Your monthly payment is about $50.00 less than what we pay for our PPO for the entire family.

I'm happy with that delusion.
talich
Slocum on a mobile said:

Quote:

Which one did you have? EPO, HMO, PPO?When I had Premera, my company paid 100% for me and my family, they didn't take a cent out of my check.

Well, as far as I know, you pay all your insurance by earning that money for the company, even it's called "company paid". No company is stupid enough to pay a cent for you. It's the invisible paycheck you never received, and it's called benefits.
talich
iisanaggie said:

One reason ER's have gotten so expensive is because people who use them cannot pay anything or those who use it as their PCP.
There is another reason. Since the hospital found it hard to run the emergency with less expected payment, they outsourced the ER to companies that are not in the network, so they can charge much higher price and split between the hospital and the ER companies. And for the patients, we get surprise bills.
talich
MisterShipWreck said:

I had to have an MRI last year, and I did not feel like waiting to get insurance approval. I called around, and found a place for $420 locally. Cash price. St Joseph wanted $1000 cash price.

I had one again last month. The insurance paid this time. My part was still almost $350. When they bill the insurance, they charge over $1200.

That being said, I still do not want the government to take over health care. The federal govt cannot do anything right. I do not want them in charge of my health care.
I'm curious, do you have the MRI at different places?

Another possible reason: early MRI machines are very expensive so hospitals have to charge more. However, newer machines are way cheaper and the new facilities can charge way less. So many times different places have very different prices. And the ironic thing is that the newer machines are not only cheaper, but better...
EBrazosAg
AG
talich said:

MisterShipWreck said:

I'm curious, do you have the MRI at different places?

Another possible reason: early MRI machines are very expensive so hospitals have to charge more. However, newer machines are way cheaper and the new facilities can charge way less. So many times different places have very different prices. And the ironic thing is that the newer machines are not only cheaper, but better...

No one has a "early MRI" in TX, maybe USA. They were around in the 90's. They all are pretty good and all close to same in purchase price. Avoid "open MRI" if you can just because open = less powerful = worse picture.

The price difference is Hospital Outpatient (HOPD) vs Freestanding Imagjng Center prices. Bryan Radiology had only freestanding. St Joe bought it and prices went up next day. So there are no low prices in BCS. In general the Physician Center has best HOPD prices around. I will actually drive to Houston or Austin suburbs for outpatient imaging at better centers for better prices. With a high deductible plan it matters. If you have Tamu insurance probably doesn't matter.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Before going to any ER ask yourself if I may lose my life, a limb or eyesight.

If the answer is no the go to an urgent care or see your PCP.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.