Election Results: Wash, Rinse, Repeat

7,276 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by happyinBCS
cavscout96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I guess the taxpayer funded roads and associated drainage and other infrastructure don't count....
George Costanza
Developers already directly pay for their roads and other infrastructure. That and the lots are what they are "developing".
RafterAg223
AG
cavscout96 said:

I guess the taxpayer funded roads and associated drainage and other infrastructure don't count....
In my evil world, we pay fully for hydrology studies, drainage detention facilities, and any associated cost. We pay for every linear foot of road we build and associated costs to bring utility infrastructure with that like electric, sanitary, and storm sewer. We pay for these little "inexpensive" things called traffic impact analysis. Then guess what? We pay fully to mitigate anything that needs to be addressed to minimize any traffic impacts. You think the city pays for all these deceleration lanes and alternate drives through developments to properly distribute traffic. We also pay massive impact fees in commercial development. Currently, the city takes money every month from our utility bills for a "road maintenance fee". You show me where they are doing a bang up job with these funds. You want to talk about "drainage" Go look at Carter Creek, my friend. Then you tell me with a straight face that the city is addressing drainage properly there. I'm off my soapbox now. But I've lived here and worked here for 25 years. I've never taken a dime from the city. Please educate yourself.
Stucco
Drilltime said:

- It costs the city an average of $ 21k per residence when you build a new neighborhood (auditable calculation)

What is costing the city $21k per residence added. Is there a document with this information?
Post removed:
by user
RafterAg223
AG
And the city makes how much over the course of a few years in Ad Valorem taxes from a new $350,000 residential unit? Residential construction and development pays for itself many times over. There is a reason suburban cities across the country with forward thinking leadership actually do incentivize development and aid in things like utility construction cost and waive impact fees.

I would have a whole lot more respect for people like Crompton and his ilk if he would just come out and speak the truth. They don't want growth and they don't want new people messing up their utopia. Well, that horse has already left the barn, so you might as well get out ahead of it. Because the next thing people will do is start heading in the direction of Navasota and developing highly amenitized communities through the use of MUDS on large acreage, while still using all of College Station's infrastructure 20 minutes away.
cavscout96
AG
George Costanza said:

Developers already directly pay for their roads and other infrastructure. That and the lots are what they are "developing".
really..... the folks developing midtown in College Station paid for the extension of Lakeway drive to include the bridge and the drainage project...wow, I had no idea....
cavscout96
AG
^^^

I guess you paid for the water mains and trunks to get out to the development too....

------------------------

heard on WTAW this AM (admittedly, this is BRYAN, not CS, and parphrased)

"Developer to receive half million dollars in incentives for redevelopment of former Bryan ISD propery..."
cavscout96
AG
RafterAg223 said:

And the city makes how much over the course of a few years in Ad Valorem taxes from a new $350,000 residential unit? Residential construction and development pays for itself many times over. There is a reason suburban cities across the country with forward thinking leadership actually do incentivize development and aid in things like utility construction cost and waive impact fees.

I would have a whole lot more respect for people like Crompton and his ilk if he would just come out and speak the truth. They don't want growth and they don't want new people messing up their utopia. Well, that horse has already left the barn, so you might as well get out ahead of it. Because the next thing people will do is start heading in the direction of Navasota and developing highly amenitized communities through the use of MUDS on large acreage, while still using all of College Station's infrastructure 20 minutes away.

or

"everyone else is capitalizing on the Houston sprawl, I should get mine while I can. Who cares that it re-shapes the very character of the town and bankrupts the coffers....."

-------------------------------------

If residential development is so lucrative, why is the city burdened with so much debt and unfunded liability?
cavscout96
AG
RafterAg223 said:

cavscout96 said:

In my evil world, we pay fully for hydrology studies, drainage detention facilities, and any associated cost. We pay for every linear foot of road we build and associated costs to bring utility infrastructure with that like electric, sanitary, and storm sewer. We pay for these little "inexpensive" things called traffic impact analysis. Then guess what? We pay fully to mitigate anything that needs to be addressed to minimize any traffic impacts. You think the city pays for all these deceleration lanes and alternate drives through developments to properly distribute traffic. We also pay massive impact fees in commercial development. Currently, the city takes money every month from our utility bills for a "road maintenance fee". You show me where they are doing a bang up job with these funds. You want to talk about "drainage" Go look at Carter Creek, my friend. Then you tell me with a straight face that the city is addressing drainage properly there. I'm off my soapbox now. But I've lived here and worked here for 25 years. I've never taken a dime from the city. Please educate yourself.
On this, you and I are in total agreement. The city is not fulfilling it's end of the bargain.
George Costanza
Sometimes the city pays for part of the cost of major thoroughfares and improvements since they benefit more than just the residents or owners of a particular development. That is not the standard though.
cavscout96
AG
April 2016:

"The College Station City Council approved an engineering contract Thursday for a $15.1 million road that is intended to provide better connectivity to the Scott & White Hospital off Rock Prairie Road, and could help spur development in the medical district."

former cow pasture now "prime development property." How much did the mid town developers pay for that road?
Lateralus Ag
AG
Vote. That's all I can say.

And the people on this thread acting like experts make me laugh.

The City Council you elected made the decisions. So, in a very real sense you all agreed.

Vote. And educate yourself.

Because all of you except Chuck have NO IDEA what you're talking about.

LOL
RafterAg223
AG
cavscout96 said:

April 2016:

"The College Station City Council approved an engineering contract Thursday for a $15.1 million road that is intended to provide better connectivity to the Scott & White Hospital off Rock Prairie Road, and could help spur development in the medical district."

former cow pasture now "prime development property." How much did the mid town developers pay for that road?

How much land does the city still own along that corridor? The answer is several hundred acres. That road benefits the city's spring creek property every bit as much as any developer over there. That city land is never coming back on the tax rolls without that major infrastructure in place.
happyinBCS
The COCS listed 2 tracts of land in the midtown district today 1) 15.7 acres for 3.5 million 2)13.6 acres for 3.2 million Will the developer that buys it have to pay impact fees
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.