Homeless camp in Bee Creek Park.

5,578 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by O.G.
techno-ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://wtaw.com/2019/10/16/theft-arrest-at-a-homeless-camp-inside-a-college-station-park/

That's disturbing on several levels.
Al Bula
AG
I understand there's a homeless dude who lives in this small clump of trees on Longmire right off Rock Prairie unless he has migrated to the camp referenced in the article. Heard he ties up any strays he can capture too.

DWren

This morning at Lowe's in Bryan.. in the grassy area just beyond the parking lot on the side closest to Briarcrest.
Some dude was sleeping in a sleeping bag with 2 dogs tied to the tree.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
There's a guy who is always sitting on that brick wall around Wells Fargo/Mason Building/Walgreens. Hope the city nips this in the bud.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
College Station just trying to keep up with Austin.
Jinx
Fonzie Scheme said:

College Station just trying to keep up with Austin.

Has Houston/Dallas/San Antonio figured out something Austin hasn't? Austin is like the boogeyman of Texags.

There is definitely an increasing homeless population, now CS like so many other cities are going to have to face that reality. Interesting to see what will happen moving forward
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Short answer is Austin did it to themselves. Their brilliant city fathers declared the city open for shameless camping by the homeless, meaning you don't have to find shelter if you don't want to and there are few repercussions.
cslifer
You want the city to stop a guy from sitting on a wall??
Jinx
I was pointing out the board loves to bring Austin into every conversation when something is going on in BCS they don't like.

There are homeless in Austin just like there are in every major city. CS is becoming a city of that caliber. The homeless issue is going to grow, no one should be surprised that it has already gotten this far.

Fonzie Scheme
AG
Probably because Austin is low-hanging fruit since a lot of Aggies post here. The other cities you mentioned also suck in various ways, and why I'm grateful I don't live there.
ukbb2003
Arrested 21 times??? Time to try something else.
Prune Tracy
doubledog
Gangster Octopus said:

ukbb2003 said:

Arrested 21 times??? Time to try something else.

Like a bullet.
This stone guy from the story is not homeless, he is a criminal.
bushytailed
AG
It shouldn't be a surprise that there is a homeless population in BCS. Unfortunately this includes families with small children.
momlaw
AG
Families with children need to seek help with Family Promise.
It is much more than shelter. It is a program designed to foster self sufficiency.
Their long term success rate is well over 80%,
It includes mentoring beyond the housing and program.
Those who need it, valuable resource.
Those who want to help make a difference excellent avenue, your donations will be highly leveraged.
momlaw
BrandoC
AG
The city can make it illegal for homeless to hang around.
AgTrip
Loitering allowed in front of banks?
agnerd
AG
BrandoC said:

The city can make it illegal for homeless to hang around.
Houston did that. Still lots of homeless people around because it costs a ton to hold a person in jail in perpetuity since homeless people don't pay fines and will continually be re-arrested. They then tried fining people that were providing food, tents, etc to the homeless, and public backlash resulted in a law that is no longer enforced.

How much are BCS taxpayers willing to raise taxes to pay for food and shelter (jail) to house the homeless at taxpayer expense?
PS3D
Bee Creek Park was the place of my youth, but my memories of the bike path from Longmire--going past a poorly-maintained apartment then going over a bridge scrawled with graffiti gave the impression that Bee Creek Park was a somewhat sketchy place (by College Station standards, at least) that should be generally avoided after dark.
techno-ag
AG
PS3D said:

Bee Creek Park was the place of my youth, but my memories of the bike path from Longmire--going past a poorly-maintained apartment then going over a bridge scrawled with graffiti gave the impression that Bee Creek Park was a somewhat sketchy place (by College Station standards, at least) that should be generally avoided after dark.
Yup. I recall a jogger getting assaulted there back in the day.
PS3D
techno-ag said:

PS3D said:

Yup. I recall a jogger getting assaulted there back in the day.
Sorry, meant to clarify I felt Bee Creek Park was sketchy a few years ago. Then again, there's probably no point when Bee Creek didn't feel run-down in some way, the collapsed bridge ruins, the ancient playground equipment, Adamson Lagoon in general...
O.G.
A couple of years ago I ran through Bee Creek park and there was a pretty serious looking camp that several Meth heads appeared to be living in. I dont remember them being as old as this guy though.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.