Coopers BBQ on 6 - will it last a year?

8,785 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Picadillo
studioone
How long do you want to ignore this user?

With the past history of Dickys and Krews, do you think it will last a year?

I believe they've picked a far worse location than the others... Impossible to get to without a major drive brouhaha...

see how fast the trolls appear..
Donny Hall
It seems like they are outside of the TAMU fast lunch radius and outside of SOCO quick dinner radius. They will be fine during the honeymoon phase.

Its on the highway, but if you pass it either direction its takes some serious effort to get there. I wish them well!

Maybe if it goes down they will turn it into a Bucees
AggieBarstool
The other thread on this place wasn't good enough?

https://texags.com/forums/35/topics/3063233
KidDoc
AG
I'm anxious to try it but I agree that location is a bit tricky to get too.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
The Brazos Kid
I'd jump out of a speeding 389 Peterbilt to get to Cooper's BBQ. I could care less about the exit situation. I'll make my own.

And for those thinking I'd abandon an 18 wheeler at highway speeds to get BBQ, I'd only do so as a passenger. I'd never be so reckless to leave the truck to aimlessly run out of control on 6
saltydog13
AG
Coopers has been around for quite a long time in multiple places. If it fails here, then maybe it's not the restaurants to blame.
EBrazosAg
AG
We shall see. But at their other locations their BBQ is fare superior imho to the others you compared them to. I think they will be a destination if executed properly. And I will go there 20 times for every time I'll join KidDoc at century square
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
double b
AG
Good BBQ does not need sauce.
isitjustme
AG
double b said:

I agree, but even on good bbq, a lot of people like sauce. So why not offer it if a large part of the customer base likes it??

Whether it's bbq, Mexican food, hamburgers, Chinese/Asian, pizza, or a general menu type place, the restaurant better offer what enough customers want or that restaurant will go out of business. It's the customers with the money that the restaurant is after, and failing to get enough of that $$ to stay in business is the restaurant's fault, not the customer's. Same can be said about any type of business.

Good luck to Coopers - I hope they make it.
AgCPA
AG
The back road off of emerald pkw goes to the backside you can get to it pretty easy both ways. Im looking forward to it.
woodiewood1
It is a poor location. I would have put in in front of Century Square on the vacant for sale lots in University Drive..

If the food is good, people will take the time and effort to get there. If people drive 40+ miles to Lexington and wait in line for an hour or two for good BBQ, they will go across town.

Losing the A&M local and visitor lunch crowd is a negative to the location, but they have the traveler and take home crowd going down Hwy 6.

JayHowdy!
Yes they will make it a year. The real question is will they make it after 2 years
techno-ag
AG
TexAgs restaurant checklist. Answers will help determine a new place's viability.

On the bypass?
Charge for water?
Surcharge for debit cards?
Allow outside drinks?
Allow dogs?
Tons of food at low prices?
Employees smoke near back entrance?
Waitstaff and menu in Spanish only?
Owner arrested for a crime recently?
Complained to the manager first?
CN
techno-ag said:

TexAgs restaurant checklist. Answers will help determine a new place's viability.

On the bypass?
Charge for water?
Surcharge for debit cards?
Allow outside drinks?
Allow dogs?
Tons of food at low prices?
Employees smoke near back entrance?
Waitstaff and menu in Spanish only?
Owner arrested for a crime recently?
Complained to the manager first?
Provides forks?
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
double b said:

My favorite BBQ probably in the entire world is at Pinkertons in Houston. I have eaten it by itself with no sauce (awesome) and I have eaten it with sauce (a tad bit more awesome). Some of us prefer BBQ with some sauce or moisture added to it. Personally for me, if the BBQ is mediocre to decent, I can't eat it without sauce.
bobinator
AG
It's in a really good place for bulk orders on gamedays.

I think it'll make it. Coopers is good. I can see a lot of people putting in an order and then going and picking it up and bringing it home on college football saturdays/NFL sundays/etc.
one MEEN Ag
AG
"You only pay for a good location once, but you pay for a bad location every day." I believe it was Mattress Mac who said that when he was asked about why he puts his huge furniture stores on expensive lots by highways. I'm sure others have said it as well.

Coopers might have incredible food, but I can't help but think they'd have improved foot traffic by being off of university. How many businesses go to die on that side of 6? Cooper might be trying to strategically deliver on through traffic and gameday traffic, but that is leaving a lot of potential customers out during the weekday lunch rush.

Mad Taco only survived initially because of its location. You have to be conveniently located to get the clientele in their first so that they'll become loyal customers.
soso33
Gigem314 said:

Cooper's should hopefully have more success with such a prominent location. You can't miss it as you're getting into CS.

By the time you see it, you have missed your exit. So I don't know about that.
jja79
AG
I go up and down 6 fairly frequently and I've never noticed it.
techno-ag
AG
jja79 said:

I dunno. Cracker Barrel can't be seen easily from the bypass either but it's still going.
ZoneClubber
AG
jja79 said:

if you are driving South, it is quite apparent. Can't miss it.

SARATOGA
What is so hard about the location ?

Headed south on 6, Exit Emerald Parkway, turn left, then right on Corsair. OR Exit Rock Prairie and loop back, might take 1 minute ?

Headed north, exit Rock Prairie, go thru the light and you're there in 20 seconds.

Cooper is the same location (perceived issue) as the car dealerships, and I'm guessing they wouldn't have spent millions to put those up if the location wasn't accessible. So out of towners might not see it in time, but honestly who just drives down the highway "looking" for places anymore......

Most out of towners will google "BBQ near me" and Google Maps or Wayz will take them right to it.

Locals shouldn't have any issue either. Exit Rock Prairie.

Ya'll are acting like its behind a wall with security guards and a secret passphrase or something. Its not harder to get to than anything else on the Highway since they made the exits an eternity before the cross streets.

ratfacemcdougal
AND, I can never go to Saltgrass or the new bar next to it because it is before the fitch exit and from the other way....well heck...it is just on the wrong side of the freeway. sheesh
oklaunion
soso33 said:

Gigem314 said:

Cooper's should hopefully have more success with such a prominent location. You can't miss it as you're getting into CS.

By the time you see it, you have missed your exit. So I don't know about that.
I have noticed that on any major thoroughfare with frontage roads throughout this nation, , by the time you see it, you have missed the exit. Just plan ahead or loop back around.

Christopher's doesn't seem to have a problem with their location.
jja79
AG
I've missed it. Of course I'm not looking for it.
birdman
There is one thing that Bryan College Station can take pride in and that is entrances and exits from Hwy 6. We have more than enough.
halibut sinclair
Quote:

Kreuz didnt make it because too far away
Too far away from what - south CS? It was like 1/2 mile from our house. My wife loved their chicken, but we seldom went because there were far better options around town.
The Brazos Kid
The vinegary mop style sauce is delish and the pinto beans with plump jalapeos in the vat are to die for. You simply cannot go wrong.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
double b said:

Oh, Lord, this is a tired argument.
aggietony2010
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

double b said:

My favorite BBQ probably in the entire world is at Pinkertons in Houston. I have eaten it by itself with no sauce (awesome) and I have eaten it with sauce (a tad bit more awesome). Some of us prefer BBQ with some sauce or moisture added to it. Personally for me, if the BBQ is mediocre to decent, I can't eat it without sauce.

It's like saying a good burger doesn't need cheese, a good piece of pie doesn't need ice cream, etc. Yes it's nice if those items can stand alone, but even if they can, it doesn't mean they taste better with an addition.

Good BBQ should be able to stand alone, but sauce really can enhance the experience. After 4 or 5 bites of the same extremely rich, fatty, salty, smoky brisket, introducing some acidity to the game can really make a difference. This can be accomplished with a side, a sauce, some pickles, etc. I don't use sauce much, but I like having it for this reason.

The only time sauce should offend someone at a BBQ place is when it's put on the meat in advance without the customer asking. That almost always means the meal is going to be disappointing.
dwaynego
AG
Coopers is an anchor restaurant so I think it'll be fine as long as it is seen. Comparing it to dickeys is kind of an insult.
labmansid
I have to wonder if those unsure of how long a Coopers opening here will last have actually been to any of their other locations. I have been to the one in Llano several times just passing through on my way to points west, and there is always a line. They will do fine here if they can have that much business in a town the size of Llano.

Coopers has much more variety to choose from than any other place in BCS, and higher quality in my opinion, although I haven't been to the 1775 place yet. Besides the usual brisket, ribs, and sausage, one can choose from several other meats. Often they have cabrito, not sure if it will be offered here, and my personal favorite the giant pork chop. I personally believe they will do fine once word gets out they are here.
rockelle
It's as if some of our locals don't want new businesses here or don't want them to succeed.

It's a giant building with signage and good visibility from Highway 6. Good BBQ (makes all the top BBQ lists and George W's favorite BBQ). Great reputation. Successful locations in Llano, Austin, Fort Worth, New Braunfels. I'm rooting for them and will support the restaurant.
trouble
AG
Zone416 said:

jja79 said:

if you are driving South, it is quite apparent. Can't miss it.

I've missed it several times driving south. Granted, I was on the way to a doctor's appt so I had other things on my mind.
aggielandcu
Looking forward to trying it.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.