Casa Rod

9,785 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by trouble
snaglepuss
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Man, they have hit a real low point compared to just a few years ago. 73 on their health score this week.
Would ja 91
AG
I ate there last week with three friends and all of the orders were messed up. It's sadly fallen in terms of quality. It also took about 15 minutes to get the meals in an almost empty restaurant.
Goose83
AG
Yeah, it's sad to see how far it's fallen.

Our group used to go there regularly, and we stuck it out for while even when things were starting to go south, but you can only stretch loyalty so far before it's time to move on.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Expert Analysis
AG
same
oklaunion
We have friends who moved out of town 12 years ago and every time they come to visit our church and we all go out to eat, they insist on CR. All of the townies groan.
saltydog13
AG
Haven't eaten there in a few years due to quality. Sad because it used to be a regular spot for us
firefly1204
Especially at the "old" location!
nashvilleaggie11
Hasn't been good for at least 5 years
Cancelled
AG
I've never had a good meal there, but ask anyone here for good Mexican and you get "Casarod" with a thumbs up. I never understood that.
Aggie
AG
I'm not saying casa Rod is anything special.
Have not ate there in probably 2 years.
But I wouldn't judge a place specifically on a health inspection score.

Those things are so inconsistent.
90% of score is which inspector comes out.
Some will walk thru and be in and out in 15 min.
Others will break out a flashlight and white gloves and inspect for 2 plus hours not picking about every little thing.
Don't put much stock in health inspection scores .. good or bad.
bushytailed
AG
I never understood the love for Casa Rod and I've lived here for 11 years.
ChampsAg
We eat there every couple of weeks or so at work. Service is spotty at best. I almost always get the Memo. I quit going a while back because of the food quality and service. It had gotten better recently but not much.

Hate to see how far down that they have fallen. Losing both patriarchs of the family has not helped employee morale.

It also amazes me how little parking there is and the restaurant be so dead at lunch.
woodiewood1
It appears that the service especially has gone down since mom and pop owners passed away the last year or so. The family appears to be having issues with wait staff as every time we go most of the staff is different.
KALALL
AG
Last time I ate there it was almost inedible. There are many better mexican food choices in town.
isitjustme
AG
Aggie said:

I'm not saying casa Rod is anything special.
Have not ate there in probably 2 years.
But I wouldn't judge a place specifically on a health inspection score.

Those things are so inconsistent.
90% of score is which inspector comes out.
Some will walk thru and be in and out in 15 min.
Others will break out a flashlight and white gloves and inspect for 2 plus hours not picking about every little thing.
Don't put much stock in health inspection scores .. good or bad.
I don't mind a less than stellar score on a health inspection from time to time. But OP is the only one who really mentioned it. Every other poster just used that as a jumping off point to declare how much Casa Rod has fallen over the years in both quality of food and service. And I agree with those posters - Casa Rod has fallen off significantly to where we longer consider it when thinking of getting Mexican food.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
It's easy to think you will take over for Mom and Dad and everything will be the same. It's different when you realize it takes work. Hell, I could take over Casa Rod and do OK. As well as the parents did, their children are doing all they can to trash their parents' legacy. Hope you cashed in.
aggiepaintrain
AG
For good authentic Mex food go to the Clown on Coulter.
bobinator
AG
aggiepaintrain said:

Best non-breakfast mexican food in town for my money.
barbara314tx
We went a month ago and none of the five of us could finish our meal. The service was awful and the food was even worse. Have gone there for years, but won't be going back. The waitress was dripping with sweat when she brought our food, it was not very appetizing!
BrazosBQ
AG
Moved away a few years ago, this is a bummer to read.
Tailgate88
AG
aggiepaintrain said:

I Googled this and nothing came up. Where is it?
UmustBKidding
My wag
Raspas El Payasito
JM84
Either that or Mi Pueblito. MP was pretty good a few years back and Raspas is has been awesome the few times I've went.
trouble
AG
Mi Pueblito is still good. My favorite cheese enchiladas in town.

Raspas El Payasito is delicious.
UmustBKidding
Publito is village clown is payaso I think, even though I grew up in N Mexico(ok really McAllen) my Spanish stinks
trouble
AG
Si.

Payasito is like little clown or little joker.
UmustBKidding
I have heard about but thought they were over where Tampico was, but guess not. Is there anything where Tampico was (west 28th?)
trouble
AG
As far as I know, there's nothing right where Tampico was. Cilantro would be the closest location wise.
barefoot
Have not eaten there in years due to bad food, worse service, and mouthy employees. Casa Rod is not even an option to consider when deciding where to eat. I dont think Debbie can solely be blamed because it's been going downhill for a long time, even before Bea's husband died and then Bea not long after. I even brought up the service/quality to Bea a few times, and each time she just looked at me, thanked me for coming and walked away; no apology, explanation, nothing.

Either bring someone in who can help really run things or shut down and let something with a better product inhabit that space so Downtown is not tarnished by this reputation.
DimeBox17
AG
I oversee a food service operation and the county health department inspection is the last thing we worry about. Yes we keep it very clean but even if you're busy or shorthanded, it shouldn't be that bad of a score. It is very hard to score below an 85.
The quality of food Casa Rod serves up is right in line with their score on the inspection.
ChampsAg
Ironically we ended up there today. Service still bad. I notice more diverse staff as well. Food was better than normal. They say the best time to go to a restaurant is after a bad score
Carny89
Tommy had it rocking. Once he left that was it. I know them personally too. I guess Debbie just don't care anymore.
gettingitdone
The last few times we went the service has been horrible, food just so so, and inattentive staff. The first time it happened, we chalked it up to bad luck. The second time, pretty much the same. We simply don't go anymore.

Over the Father's Day weekend, went to La Botana and they were pretty busy. Some of the family members of the Casa Rod owner were in La Botana as well waiting to eat after church. The place was pretty busy and they had a pretty big party waiting. The sad part is, on of the family members said, " I guess We can go to Casa Rod, but we will probably have to wait 2 hours for our food and the restaurant won't even be busy!" Needless to say, they waited to be seated at La Botana. Makes me sad as this was one of our favorite places to go.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.