Give me the scoop on good barbacoa in this town

3,426 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by halibut sinclair
Post removed:
by user
isitjustme
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Jesse's has pretty good barbacoa and I think they give you quite a bit for the price they charge. Next to the Walgreen's on E 29th and Briarcrest catty-corner to Bryan High.
bobinator
AG
I think the best two barbacoa places in town are Jesse's and La Familia Dos. (the place next to the gas station at Barron and Hwy 6.)

Though one time I was super hungry and talked Papa Perez into making me a fried stuffed avocado with barbacoa and that was pretty good. The server was like 'I need to go ask the kitchen if that's okay' and then they came back and said 'they said nobody has ever asked for that so we can't promise it's going to be good.' It was really good.
Post removed:
by user
bobinator
AG
If you've never been to Jesse's and you go, you probably only need one taco. Their tacos are huge compared to most other breakfast taco places.
Builder93
AG
Jesse's is authentic South Texas Tex-Mex. Good Stuff

Taco Crave in downtown Bryan is also pretty good.
AggiePhil
AG
Garpez
WestTexasAg04
AG
That place in the convenience store at Hwy 6 and Harvey. Garpez I think. That place in the Shell at Rock Prairie and Wellborn. Barbacoa tacos with onions, cilantro, a dash of salt and the red sauce.
The ones from stripes aren't very good. Too greasy and their tortillas a lot of the times aren't very good.
In Bryan they sell barbacoa at the panaderia on mlk. The Mexican bakery. Grab you a couple of tacos and a bag full of pan dulce.
nought
AG
Los Nortenos!

Oh wait...

:-(

RIP
bobinator
AG
I didn't love the barbacoa at Garpez even though that's what made Texas Monthly, I like their carne guisada more.
michellecan
Jesse's Taqueria for sure!
AggieBarstool
nought said:

Los Nortenos!

Oh wait...

:-(

RIP
You suck for making me miss them.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
WestTexasAg04 said:

That place in the convenience store at Hwy 6 and Harvey. Garpez I think. That place in the Shell at Rock Prairie and Wellborn. Barbacoa tacos with onions, cilantro, a dash of salt and the red sauce.
The ones from stripes aren't very good. Too greasy and their tortillas a lot of the times aren't very good.
In Bryan they sell barbacoa at the panaderia on mlk. The Mexican bakery. Grab you a couple of tacos and a bag full of pan dulce.

Agreed, overrated imho.

The tortilla is really important and the more authentic the better. Stripes tortillas are far from authentic.
bobinator
AG
I think the hype for Stripes barbacoa is just that it's at Stripes. Like it's way better than what you expect. I so like their little salsa bar thing though.

Do y'all get anything on your barbacoa tacos or just go old school straight barbacoa?

I'm a barbacoa, potato and cheese guy and with that hot green sauce from La Familia... I'm gonna have to hit that up in the morning now that I've been thinking about it.
isitjustme
AG
I like to get a barbacoa taco and a Mexican egg taco, then open them up and make 2 barbacoa and Mexican egg tacos. Good stuff!
Picadillo
Garpez. Amongst Texas Monthly best in state.
WestTexasAg04
AG
Obligatory username checks out.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
If you like to cook, I used this recipe -

I modified it with more seasoning and added some fresh lime juice but it cooked up pretty well.
Tariny
It's been a while since I've been there, but La Botana used to have some pretty good barbacoa.
halibut sinclair
La Botana
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.