Fly in Community

3,178 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by src94
wgavit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just testing the waters, what would the interest be in a fly in community within 20 min of town?
redd38
AG
I have zero interest
dwaynego
AG
Your best bet probably would have been 10 year ago when you could have beat the market for game day / retirement homes.
halibut sinclair
There are lots of flies in this community.
Prune Tracy
SARATOGA
Isn't there already one, on Rock Prairie or Elmo Weeden ?
wgavit
I hadn't seen any other than Hilltop Lakes, but that's an hour away. I know hangars around here are getting pricey IF you can even get in one.
src94
AG
I'd be interested
src94
TexasAggie_02
AG
they should've done this with the speedway
coopers hawk
I don't know about a fly-in community, but there is definitely room in the market for hangar space.
cavscout96
AG
I would think it would be decent. I know hangers are at a premium. The question is, where can you get enough land at a price that supports the model?

I think you;d have to go north or east of BCS. One good thing about the fly-in demographic is that school aged kids are not usually a huge factor so the school district perception is not as important.
UmustBKidding
Iola/Carlos?
Bryan AFB in theory had 4 Aux fields, Easterwood & Hearne, Somerville and NooneRemembers. The Somerville designated one looks like a grass strip (with oil well now) west of Snook.
With all the crazy HOA's restricting everything I think we need things like this. Tell my ham radio friends since all the local subdivisions restrict antennas we need to start the subdivision that requires them. Unfortunate one that requires an large antenna array and an airplane probably won't work.
But I suspect one that requires gun emplacements and weapon count >100 might do ok also.

cavscout96
AG
Yeah

I was thinking Hearne/Iola/Anderson are likely the only areas you could pull it off within 20 minutes.

MAYBE Snook/Somerville, but anything else on 21 going west, 105 going east or west or, generally, west of 6 or south of CS is going to have a STUPID price per acre. especially when you consider costs to develop runway and potentially some taxiways.

cavscout96
AG
The land around RELLIS and toward Cooks point and Caldwell is probably not feasible cost-wise
techno-ag
AG
Agreed the per acre cost even in outlying counties is going to be at least $5K/acre, maybe more. Seems like you'd need a lot of acres to include an airport.

Other than that nice idea. Hilltop Lakes II.
Moy
I'm interested! Are you talking taxi to the ramp/active from your house/property or 60R style with the neighborhood outside the gate? Extra GA hangars could offset some cost. Hangar space in BCS is hard to come by as I'm sure you already know.

I think a field like TX42 would do well here.

cavscout96
AG
looks nice. About 160 acres or so.
src94
AG
I think Coulter has a pretty long waiting list
src94
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.