Old "Caliche Pit" southwest of College Station?

5,424 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by mollykpotts
rynning
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is kind of random, but I was asked by a friend of an Old Ag who spoke of swimming in a "Caliche Pit" about 5 miles southwest of College Station while he attended in the late 50s. I assume this would be near Snook.

Does anyone know what he might be referring to or what became of it? Thanks!
SchnauzerMom
I don't know of anything headed towards Snook, though that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist, but there are the old Clay Pits out in Wellborn on Clay Pit Road. My husband and his friends used to go out there in HS. It is now private property though.
AggiePhil
AG
Yeah, might be the one at the end of Stousland.
SARATOGA
I've been down there. Not much to look at. Either grown over, or washout clay gravel. And apparently private.
Jetty
AG
Could it be the big pit at Brazos Valley Recycling??
UmustBKidding
Not in the 50s
Jetty
AG
I thought the "pit" was there LONG before BVR acquired the land??
oklaunion
Post removed:
by user
oklaunion
taxpreparer
AG
5 miles sw of college station in the 50's couks be somewhere out dowling rd.

I moved here in 68 and college station ended at hwy 30 (harvey rd) in texas and holleman on welborn rd.
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
rynning
AG
Thanks everyone. I gave the link to this thread to my friend to share with the Ag.
AggiePhil
AG
Looking at old aerials on Historic Aerials, there are a lot of small ponds down there that could have been old clay pits. The pond south of Capstone definitely looked like a filled in clay pit in 1960. And of course, there is the long pit Clay Pit Road is named for.

https://www.historicaerials.com/viewer]https://www.historicaerials.com/viewer
WheelinAg
AG
Wrong direction, but there was some kind of mine where Brazos Valley Offroad Ranch is off of 47.
AgDotCom
The Clay Pits were (still are) located next to Clay Pit Road. The banks have been overgrown with brush since at least the 80's, and it's difficult to see the water through the vegetation.

My father and his friends swam there as kids. My dad said they mined alum there, and the water was a greenish/bluish color. Others said they "tried to mine lignite" there, not sure which is accurate. Whatever the case, the cliffs were apparently 30-40 ft. high.

This book has a couple of pages devoted to the swimming hole....

wtr1975
AG
Clay Pits on Clay Pit Road (Welborn Area)
mollykpotts
I live next to the Clay Pit. Back when your husband went there you went through my property to get there. It is private property. When we were building our house in the mid 80s we would often get old ags looking for the clay pit. It is on Claypit Rd, in the Wellborn community
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.