Trying to figure out differences in cost of eyeglasses around town

1,839 Views | 1 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by meezermom
Txmoe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife is shopping for new eyeglasses and she noticed a big difference between a couple of the local retailers. For example, the high index lenses at Texas Regional Eye Center cost twice as much as the same glasses at Urban Optics. Does anyone know whether there is a difference in quality between these two places, if the type of lens is equivalent?
UmustBKidding
My engineer friends that have wear glasses and have done the calculations say no, that what is available at most local and discount vendors are of similar quality. Lots buy online and some splurge and buy at Sams Club. What varies is service. Neither of the vendors you mention have great recommendations from the few I asked. The things they mentioned if only use high index lenses if you have prescriptions that are going to be heavy without them. They also mention that many high index lenses have aberrations that range from small to extreme depending on their coatings, and lots of times the expensive ones are worse.
meezermom
We used to go to the fancier places until we discovered that Walmart has much better prices (even when we had separate eye insurance through TAMU) and they are excellent about replacing them within the year if anything goes wrong with the frames, lenses, etc. With a 12-year-old in glasses, they have never let us down. Now hubby and I get ours there, too, and we haven't been disappointed yet.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.