UP 4014 Big Boy in Bryan

6,155 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by labmansid
UmustBKidding
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Son reminded me that UP is doing a out and back run of their Big Boy 4014 engine to celebrate 150yr anniversary of the transcontinental railroad completion. Its scheduled to arrive at 3:10pm Friday Nov 8 and overnight a Wellborn and F&B road siding and depart Saturday. It will also be on display in Houston the previous Thursday with onboard tours possible.
Train geeks & parents with kids mark your calendars, more information here:
https://www.up.com/heritage/steam/schedule/index.htm

agnerd
AG
Just to give you an idea of the size of this thing:
JayHowdy!
UmustBKidding said:

Son reminded me that UP is doing a out and back run of their Big Boy 4014 engine to celebrate 150yr anniversary of the transcontinental railroad completion. Its scheduled to arrive at 3:10pm Friday Nov 8 and overnight a Wellborn and F&B road siding and depart Saturday. It will also be on display in Houston the previous Thursday with onboard tours possible.
Train geeks & parents with kids mark your calendars, more information here:
https://www.up.com/heritage/steam/schedule/index.htm

My son informed me as well. He is ecstatic to see the Big Boy engine.

We will not miss it.
Oogway
I love their whistle, way more melodic than the diesel horns. Toot, toot!
frito bandito
From what I can determine from UP's schedule, there will be no official public viewing of the Big Boy when it overnights in Bryan. There will be lots of folks "chasing" the locomotive both on arrival and departure, so be careful on those days on the roads near the UP tracks.
UmustBKidding
All stops are "Viewing only" unless otherwise noted. So as long as you remain 25ft from the tracks and don't enter any areas marked prohibited you are allowed to view.
That area is multi main so am not sure what track or siding it will be on. The siding there is very small. Don't know the consists but at times they chase a Diesel and will drop the cars and pull the steam engine into a siding and grab the cars with the diesel and move them to a yard (likely Hearne). If south of F&B in the siding or on one of the mains you likely could park in Lot 88 (GSC) and get a reasonable view. This lot has some pay by the hour slots if you want to be in the area at the arrival time, and is also on bus route 6. In theory after 5pm and before 6am any A&M permit would allow you to park there and believe there should be no event conflicts.
If you want the onboard experience car tour you will have to go to Houston on Thursday.

trouble
AG
Bump because it's this Friday
frito bandito
There now is a slot for public viewing from 4:30 to 6:00 on Friday. Good for UP; because that was not on the original schedule.
Tailgate88
AG
Do we know what time it will be leaving Navasota to head to Bryan?
kraut
AG
Tailgate88 said:

Do we know what time it will be leaving Navasota to head to Bryan?
Schedule says 1:45pm CT
mike073
AG
4014 will be pulling 4141 with it when it gets to College Station.

Gig 'em Aggies!

redd38
AG
I saw 4141 come through town the other night as part of a regular train
mike073
AG
4014 is pulling a spare engine, I guess just in case. Glad 4141 will be the spare Friday.
Gig 'em Aggies!

Rapier108
mike073 said:

4014 is pulling a spare engine, I guess just in case. Glad 4141 will be the spare Friday.
The Big Boy always has a diesel behind it in order to provide extra braking power for safety reasons.
mike073
AG
Crossing the Guadalupe River this morning:

Gig 'em Aggies!

atmtws
AG
Quote:

COLLEGE STATION, Tex. (KBTX) - The train engine that brought former President George H.W. Bush to his final resting place at Texas A&M University will now be a permanent part of his presidential library.

The announcement was made Friday afternoon, as the "Bush 4141" locomotive came through town. The train engine was being pulled by the Union Pacific 4014 steam engine, also known as a "Big Boy."
https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Bush-4141-locomotive-coming-to-Bush-Library-at-Texas-AM-564673861.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_KBTX_Media&fbclid=IwAR1EtoahqlAlYT5qXFUg2jeulfC1o7wUBRu4LKtvCSUbMAhhPrjqFL8_UWE
labmansid
Went down to north of Navasota River to catch the train passing by. It was pretty darn cool to see.

The steam it puts out let us know it was coming.

Coming out of the trees.

Rolling by.

Lots of moving parts.

Daddy Bush Engine.

The "Big Boy" emblem.

Looking down the side.

Rex Racer
AG
My video from 30 minutes ago in front of the General Services Complex.

atmtws
AG
Great shots!
Goose83
AG
EDIT: Answered my own question.
labmansid
ATMTWS said:

Great shots!
Thank you very much.
The Brazos Kid
Here's what I shot yesterday morning up in Hearne...

mike073
AG
From the local paper:

Gig 'em Aggies!

BMo
mike073 said:

From the local paper:

Do you have a link to the paper? Looks like a friends image.
BMo
Excellent set Sid.
mike073
AG
Mo. Had to go back to find where I saw it. A&M Facebook page. Friday 3:45
Gig 'em Aggies!

frito bandito
I went out Friday at lunch to watch 4014 roll into town. I have seen and ridden behind UP's other steam locomotives; but the Big Boy is awesome. My wife wanted to see it Saturday morning; so we did a drive by Saturday morning before heading to downtown Bryan to set up to take pictures. She loved it; and insisted that we chase it towards Hearne. We made it to Mumford for more pictures; but the number of chasers was absolutely crazy; and we went no further. It is always amazing to watch people's reactions to mainline steam locomotives; the wonder and amazement is something to behold.
labmansid
BMo said:

Excellent set Sid.
Thank you.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.