UP 4014 Big Boy in Bryan

1,135 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 12 days ago by UmustBKidding
UmustBKidding
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Son reminded me that UP is doing a out and back run of their Big Boy 4014 engine to celebrate 150yr anniversary of the transcontinental railroad completion. Its scheduled to arrive at 3:10pm Friday Nov 8 and overnight a Wellborn and F&B road siding and depart Saturday. It will also be on display in Houston the previous Thursday with onboard tours possible.
Train geeks & parents with kids mark your calendars, more information here:
https://www.up.com/heritage/steam/schedule/index.htm

agnerd
AG
Just to give you an idea of the size of this thing:
JayHowdy!
UmustBKidding said:

Son reminded me that UP is doing a out and back run of their Big Boy 4014 engine to celebrate 150yr anniversary of the transcontinental railroad completion. Its scheduled to arrive at 3:10pm Friday Nov 8 and overnight a Wellborn and F&B road siding and depart Saturday. It will also be on display in Houston the previous Thursday with onboard tours possible.
Train geeks & parents with kids mark your calendars, more information here:
https://www.up.com/heritage/steam/schedule/index.htm

My son informed me as well. He is ecstatic to see the Big Boy engine.

We will not miss it.
Oogway
I love their whistle, way more melodic than the diesel horns. Toot, toot!
frito bandito
From what I can determine from UP's schedule, there will be no official public viewing of the Big Boy when it overnights in Bryan. There will be lots of folks "chasing" the locomotive both on arrival and departure, so be careful on those days on the roads near the UP tracks.
UmustBKidding
All stops are "Viewing only" unless otherwise noted. So as long as you remain 25ft from the tracks and don't enter any areas marked prohibited you are allowed to view.
That area is multi main so am not sure what track or siding it will be on. The siding there is very small. Don't know the consists but at times they chase a Diesel and will drop the cars and pull the steam engine into a siding and grab the cars with the diesel and move them to a yard (likely Hearne). If south of F&B in the siding or on one of the mains you likely could park in Lot 88 (GSC) and get a reasonable view. This lot has some pay by the hour slots if you want to be in the area at the arrival time, and is also on bus route 6. In theory after 5pm and before 6am any A&M permit would allow you to park there and believe there should be no event conflicts.
If you want the onboard experience car tour you will have to go to Houston on Thursday.

Page 1 of 1

Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.