Texas A&M System bans vaping on all campuses.

3,368 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by saltydog13
AgFan1999
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Story on KBTX
SARATOGA
Nice !

Eliminating obviously dangerous and unhealthy things and also looking like a doofus at the same time !

Normally I'd say let people do what they want to do, but the effects are clearly unstudied, and more and more problems are being discovered as we get down the line.

Seems gum is the way to deliver nicotine if you're an addict, or a patch.
Zombie
At what point do we say enough is enough. If I want to vape and I am not harming anyone but myself, who the hell has the right to tell me I can't do it? This isn't cigarette smoking where second hand smoke has a direct effect on bystanders. This is vaping. What's next?
KidDoc
AG
Zombie said:

At what point do we say enough is enough. If I want to vape and I am not harming anyone but myself, who the hell has the right to tell me I can't do it? This isn't cigarette smoking where second hand smoke has a direct effect on bystanders. This is vaping. What's next?
There is a growing body of evidence that 2nd hand vaping is not as safe as advertised:

https://www.webmd.com/mental-health/addiction/news/20190828/lots-of-teens-are-breathing-in-others-vaping-fumes#1

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Koko Chingo
AG
Banning in one thing. What about enforcement and consequences? You are not supposed to smoke next to a building but that does not stop people. I do not see this being effective unless there are consequences.

Vaping is much easier to go under the radar versus smoking cigarettes, especially inside a building. So many people are able to sneak a puff, even indoors. It happens constantly. My kids even say they see people vaping in their middle school. Does "every inch of the Texas A&M system" include tailgating?

I am all for the ban but it has to be actively enforced or it is meaningless. And having the average joe become a tattletale is not the answer either.
Abbyag06
And speaking on behalf of people with breathing problems I appreciate the steps being taken. I can not stand to walk through the cloud of stuff without it triggering my asthma and needing my inhaler. Not to mention I don't want my 13 year old daughter around it. Some people that use these (not all) are not considerate of others around them when they use these devices. I'm concerned about the findings these studies will find from long term use.
saltydog13
AG
How dumb. So you can still smoke on campus, but vaping is completely banned? Complete overreaction
Big Country51
AG
This is the best thing John Sharp has done. I hate public vaping. It makes me feel like I am in Austin.
UmustBKidding
No Vaping
Penalty for violation up to and including death

Self enforcing proclamation.
SARATOGA
Lots of people seem confused...... Cigarettes are already banned (because it is 2019); so that issue has been addressed. The next public health hazard is vaping, so now that is also being addressed.

If you want to smoke, vape, or juggle chainsaws, you're free to do so in your own home. Also Texas A&M is a premiere research institution attempting to lead the way in several health and technology areas. It would be kind of hypocritical to promote those values and allow faculty, staff, and students to visibly act in a way directly in opposition to those goals.

tamufan
Once again the perfect is the enemy of the good. And the morally superior are happy to tell others how to live. Have we banned bacon yet?
tamufan
And ... I don't indulge in nicotine in any form. Never have. But I do like bacon.
Zombie
That's complete bull. Did we forget that we just started allowing alcohol to be purchased at sporting events?
sjislepilot
AG
KidDoc said:

Zombie said:

There is a growing body of evidence that 2nd hand vaping is not as safe as advertised:

https://www.webmd.com/mental-health/addiction/news/20190828/lots-of-teens-are-breathing-in-others-vaping-fumes#1

Is there a link to the actual scientific article? I wouldn't exactly call this editorial an example of growing body of evidence.
Charli
You think you smell something good like pie or cake or candy...but no, it is Chad and his cloud of lies
FlyRod
Smoking is still allowed on campus tho. Trust.
woodiewood1
SARATOGA said:

Lots of people seem confused...... Cigarettes are already banned (because it is 2019); so that issue has been addressed. The next public health hazard is vaping, so now that is also being addressed.

If you want to smoke, vape, or juggle chainsaws, you're free to do so in your own home. Also Texas A&M is a premiere research institution attempting to lead the way in several health and technology areas. It would be kind of hypocritical to promote those values and allow faculty, staff, and students to visibly act in a way directly in opposition to those goals.

Have never smoked or vaped in my life, but are you sure cigarette smoking is banned?

Unless they have changed it recently, here is the smoking guidelines as of last year.

"Texas A&M University is a smoke-free campus, which means smoking is prohibited inside all university buildings including residence halls, individual apartments, the lounges and laundry facilities. E-Cigarettes and vaping are not allowed in Department of Residence Life facilities. If you are going to smoke or vape, you must go outside of the building or an appropriate distance away from the apartment units so that second-hand smoke will not enter any surrounding living spaces. Smoking is not permitted on apartment balconies, on patios or in the breezeways. Dispose of all cigarette butts in the cigarette butt cans provided."
KidDoc
AG
sjislepilot said:

KidDoc said:

Zombie said:

Is there a link to the actual scientific article? I wouldn't exactly call this editorial an example of growing body of evidence.
From uptodate summary the following articles are noted:

Public Health Consequences of E-Cigarettes, consensus study report, The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, Medicine https://www.nap.edu/catalog/24952/public-health-consequences-of-e-cigarettes. no abstract available

PubMedTIElectronic cigarettes: an evaluation of exposure to chemicals and fine particulate matter (PM).AUPellegrino RM, Tinghino B, Mangiaracina G, Marani A, Vitali M, Protano C, Osborn JF, Cattaruzza MS SOAnn Ig. 2012 Jul;24(4):279-88. The "electronic (e-)cigarette" generates intense scientific debate about its use. Its popularity is increasing worldwide as a method to reduce/quit smoking, and to smoke indoors when restrictions on smoking tobacco are present. WHO recommends caution, until its effectiveness in helping smokers is clarified, and the possible harm evaluated. The aim of this study was to assess the content of the aromatic liquid mixture and its vapour and the Particulate Matter (PM) emissions of an Italian brand of e-cigarette and to compare its PM emissions with a conventional cigarette. Propylene glycol (66%) and glycerine (24%) were main components in the liquid, while the flavouring substances were less than 0.1%. The same substances were detected in the vapour in similar proportions. Fine and ultrafine PM emissions were higher for the conventional versus the e-cigarette (e.g.: PM10=922 vs 52 microg/m3; PM1=80 vs 14 microg/m3). The e-cigarette seems to give some advantages when used instead of the conventional cigarette, but studies are still scanty: it could help smokers to cope with some of the rituals associated with smoking gestures and to reduce or eliminate tobacco consumption avoiding passive smoking. However, the e-cigarette causes exposure to different chemicals compared with conventional cigarettes and thus there is a need for risk evaluation for both e-cigarettes and passive steam exposure in smokers and non smokers.ADDepartment of Chemistry, University of Perugia, Italy. PMID22913171

146PubMedTIPeering through the mist: systematic review of what the chemistry of contaminants in electronic cigarettes tells us about health risks.AUBurstyn I SOBMC Public Health. 2014;14:18. Epub 2014 Jan 9. BACKGROUNDElectronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes) are generally recognized as a safer alternative to combusted tobacco products, but there are conflicting claims about the degree to which these products warrant concern for the health of the vapers (e-cigarette users). This paper reviews available data on chemistry of aerosols and liquids of electronic cigarettes and compares modeled exposure of vapers with occupational safety standards.METHODSBoth peer-reviewed and "grey" literature were accessed and more than 9,000 observations of highly variable quality were extracted. Comparisons to the most universally recognized workplace exposure standards, Threshold Limit Values (TLVs), were conducted under "worst case" assumptions about both chemical content of aerosol and liquids as well as behavior of vapers.RESULTSThere was no evidence of potential for exposures of e-cigarette users to contaminants that are associated with risk to health at a level that would warrant attention if it were an involuntary workplace exposures. The vast majority of predicted exposures are < <1% of TLV. Predicted exposures to acrolein and formaldehyde are typically<5% TLV. Considering exposure to the aerosol as a mixture of contaminants did not indicate that exceeding half of TLV for mixtures was plausible. Only exposures to the declared major ingredients--propylene glycol and glycerin--warrant attention because of precautionary nature of TLVs for exposures to hydrocarbons with no established toxicity.CONCLUSIONSCurrent state of knowledge about chemistry of liquids and aerosols associated with electronic cigarettes indicates that there is no evidence that vaping produces inhalable exposures to contaminants of the aerosol that would warrant health concerns by the standards that are used to ensure safety of workplaces. However, the aerosol generated during vaping as a whole (contaminants plus declared ingredients) creates personal exposures that would justify surveillance of health among exposed persons in conjunction with investigation of means to keep any adverse health effects as low as reasonably achievable. Exposures of bystanders are likely to be orders of magnitude less, and thus pose no apparent concern.ADDepartment of Environmental and Occupational Health, School of Public Health, Drexel University, Nesbitt Hall, 3215 Market St, Floor 6, Office 614, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA. igor.burstyn@drexel.edu. PMID24406205
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
JMac03
AG
I see people smoking cigarettes on campus every day, in certain areas?
JeepWaveEarl
AG
Smoking is not banned but smoking "in front of a door" isn't allowed... I have a coworker that goes on four 30 min "smoke breaks" a day instead of doing his work and so then it's passed along to others who don't disappear for 2 hours a day. Still, both paid for 8 hours. Trust me, it's not banned. lol
saltydog13
AG
Your second study literally says it poses no apparent concern while the first one says it just needs to be evaluated further
KidDoc
AG
saltydog13 said:

Your second study literally says it poses no apparent concern while the first one says it just needs to be evaluated further
Yup it is still being researched we just don't know at this point.

I do think this ban is stupid. Just put them with the smokers.
saltydog13
AG
Gotcha. I don't smoke anymore or vape so it doesn't affect me. like you I just think the ban is stupid.
techno-ag
AG
In the spirit of Civil Resistance, I encourage everyone to peacefully resist this ban. Vaping is easy to hide. It's just water vapor and it dissipates quickly. Toke on, my friends.

Some ideas:
- Find a private place. Campus is big and the vape Nazis can't be everywhere.
- Keep a cigarette in your hand while vaping. If confronted tell them you were smoking tobacco, which is still allowed.
-Hold the puff in and let the vapors dissolve more before exhaling. This will help minimize contrails and help you to indulge under the radar.
bobinator
AG
Even though I enjoy one and not the other, on principle I think it's weird to ban vaping but not drinking on campus. Vaping might be dangerous to people's health, but drinking definitely is.
FlyRod
Also amusing to see Sharp, a career Democrat, aping POTUS.
Stupe
S
Zombie said:

The smell of that crap gives me a headache, makes one of my daughters sick, and we aren't exceptions to those side effects.

Saying it doesn't have any effect on bystanders is a load of crap.
Cholula Verde
AG
RE the comparison between this issue and alcohol sales at Kyle.....not rocket science to figure that out.....$$$..... likely to be off the charts for the next few years alone every time we play an SEC opponent and, LOL, I can't even do the math involved in alcohol profits if we started playing football with that school in Austin again!
agnerd
AG
All the reasons given about potential injuries and safety concerns also apply to football. Is Sharp going to ban football too or is he just doing this because everyone else is?
SARATOGA
This isn't akin to football. Its akin to a salmonella outbreak. The CDC reports an issue and steps are taken to fix it.

Sure you could just not eat chicken. But that doesn't remove the necessity of prevention.
Cholula Verde
AG
Salmonella is some bad sheet!
saltydog13
AG
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.