Cooper's barbecue

64,224 Views | 253 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by halibut sinclair
tmr69
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anybody know when their opening will be ?
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
It used to say "Summer 2019" First day of fall was four days ago.
95_Aggie
AG
from CN on another thread:

Quote:

According to their Facebook page (Cooper's Old Time Pit Bar-B-Que Aggieland), "It's sooooooon!" but no specific date. They have a now hiring sign out.

Bunk Moreland
Mid October I believe.
ontheedge
Is this a franchise or owned by the originals?
happyinBCS
don't think any locations are franchised, all family owned
kyledr04
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Mid October I believe.

Yeah, mid to late is what I heard
crbongos
AG
How much bbq will Coopers need to sell to pay for that 14,000 sf new shiny building located on one way feeder road with no off ramp nearby? Don't get me wrong, I hope it rocks it. But that has to be a $2M piece of real estate.
CRBongo
Bunk Moreland
I heard they have plans for more pads/mixed-use up around the restaurant. And I think it's all the same group.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
crbongos said:

How much bbq will Coopers need to sell to pay for that 14,000 sf new shiny building located on one way feeder road with no off ramp nearby? Don't get me wrong, I hope it rocks it. But that has to be a $2M piece of real estate.
I question the location as well. I live off Barron. Getting to is not the most annoying part for me. But Getting back is. I can't simply loop under 6 because there's no on-ramp there. Anyway, that's a pretty minor complain for me. If it's good barbeque I won't mind. But I know people in this town will find anything to complain about. I also questioned the size of that building. I don't see how they're going to fill it up consistently.
TxSquarebody
The must have used the same consultants at Kruez.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
This town's BBQ is not terrible, but its not great either.

I made the mistake of going to Pinkertons in Houston some time ago and now I compare every BBQ joint to that so that's my problem. That to me is the absolute standard in the state of Texas for BBQ.

I'm excited to try Coopers to see if they can up the local game some.
trouble
AG
Cooper's is salty as hell. I don't like my BBQ with sauce and that's about the only way theirs is tolerable.
Bucketrunner
Never been a fan of the salty stuff, but I'll give them a try
The Good Aggieboy19
AG
Cooper's is some of the best BBQ I've had. There's a reason some Texas country artists include it in their songs...it is GOOD

(It is in "My Texas" by Josh Abbott Band & Pat Green)
trouble
AG
Just be sure to get it "dipped". They use a warm thin sauce and it washes off most of the rub.
happyinBCS
Did not realize they were building a new store in Katy at the same time as here. There must be big $$ in Bar B Q
legalbird
The ol' expert has eaten there ( I am certain), and I am looking for his Conde Nest style review to be placed at Yelp....

WHERE IS HE??
jammer262
I've been disappointed with every Coopers besides the original. The one in Ft Worth is laughably bad. They do have beef ribs everyday which is awesome.
Mathguy64
AG
Yeah. I have to agree. ATKM is roast beef. Very expensive roast beef at $23/lb. The bourbon list is nice so that helps.
Goose83
AG
Would be nice if we got something good in town that doesn't require a 30 minute drive.
australopithecus robustus
It's because commercial real estate costs here are inflated vs the roi. In the bbq business they are bound by the beef prices so it's hard to have it both ways without being rural. That's why so many great bbq places are rural.
Mr_mo8268
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

This town's BBQ is not terrible, but its not great either.

I made the mistake of going to Pinkertons in Houston some time ago and now I compare every BBQ joint to that so that's my problem. That to me is the absolute standard in the state of Texas for BBQ.

I'm excited to try Coopers to see if they can up the local game some.

Glazed pork ribs FTW. My favorite spot by far. I love ordering everything by weight so you can get a bit of everything as opposed to the 2-3 meat plate type deal.

Wrong emoticon clearly.
TRIPLE 7
AG
We, Junction,TX hunters, were so excited when a Coopers was building a place in Junction.

We ate there a couple of times but haven't been back!

It ain't the same as Llano!

Too bad!
TXAG 05
AG
I'm just surprised Coopers went ahead and built the BCS store after Kruez failed. Similar operation and prices. Will be interesting.
birdman
I've been to the Coopers in Junction about a dozen times. The first 5-6 times, it was unbelievably good. The next 3 times were poor. I gave them a final chance. And the most recent 3-4 times, it's been fantastic.

Hopefully, this place has consistency. And they realize how important a first impression is. If I hadn't been to Llano store or had great food the first times I ate there - I never would have returned.

Kreutz failed on first impression. It took them six months to change.
GSS
TRIPLE 7 said:

We, Junction,TX hunters, were so excited when a Coopers was building a place in Junction.

Too bad!
The Junction location is not part of the Llano-based "Coopers BBQ" operation.
NRA Life
TSRA Life
AggiePhil
AG
Hope the soft opening is amazing!
Goose83
AG
AggiePhil said:

Hope the soft opening is amazing!
When is that?
labmansid
GSS said:

TRIPLE 7 said:

Too bad!
That was my understanding as well. They may be related to the original Coopers operators in Llano, but a spinoff not related in a business sense. I have eaten at both places and while the Junction location is still pretty good, it is pretty basic compared to all the choices you have at the Llano facility. I hope the one opening here is very similar to the Llano location.
techno-ag
AG
The pits in original locations have been seasoned for years. I suspect it's not unusual for a new place to take a while to develop flavor.
Aggie1205
AG
The Mason TX location is the original. It's also not associated with Llano.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Quote:

Kreutz failed on first impression. It took them six months to change.

I enjoyed Kreuz. I ate there maybe once a month and liked it each time. Only thing I didn't care for was the sausage.
TexasAggie_02
AG
Aggie1205 said:

The Mason TX location is the original. It's also not associated with Llano.
Mason location is the best by far.
TXAG 05
AG
labmansid said:

GSS said:

TRIPLE 7 said:

Too bad!
That was my understanding as well. They may be related to the original Coopers operators in Llano, but a spinoff not related in a business sense. I have eaten at both places and while the Junction location is still pretty good, it is pretty basic compared to all the choices you have at the Llano facility. I hope the one opening here is very similar to the Llano location.

It's the same group as the Llano, NB, Fort Worth, Austin ones

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.