TAMU President Young Says Spence Park a Wasteland

23,618 Views | 97 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by kfoster
isitjustme
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
President Young is steadily trying to change the nature of A&M. Now he's decided that Spence Park, a fairly unfettered green space between Koldus and AFS bldgs., is a wasteland and needs improvements. He's talking lakes, amphitheaters, tiered seating, etc. He's wants to take a disorganized but relaxing space and "organize it a make it better." (not a direct quote from him but in essence what administrations typically want to do to everything they don't like.) He even wants to change its name to something else.

A lot of people like the Spence simply b/c it is fairly untouched by a bunch of organization. I know the tailgaters like it b/c there's plenty of good space to set up and have a place for their kids to play - will this negatively impact that.

Guess I'm just tired of organizations trying to "make things better" when they don't really need to change. TAMU has done it over the years on campus with ring day, elephant walk, etc. And I'm just happy that I was able to enjoy Northgate as an undergrad in its natural state before they pretty-ed it all up.

Rant complete.
bobinator
AG
It's official designation is already 'Aggie Park.'

Simple truth is that is prime campus real estate and they could be doing a lot more with it to improve the campus experience. It might be a negative on gameday for people that like it the way it is, but it will be a positive at basically every other time.

It's too good a location on campus to not be improved with the rest of the campus.
trouble
AG
There have been talks about renovating it since long before he got here.
CS78
I've spent A LOT of time in that part of campus and the fact is very few pedestrians go anywhere near it. Churching it up won't change that. Maybe if they added a bunch of free parking but we know that won't happen.
Average Joe
AG
I'm not sure why they would want to make it any better. It's a perfect field of dirt and weeds already. No improvements needed.
tfunk02
AG

95_Aggie
AG
This isn't President Young. This is John Sharp's project.
claydeezy
AG
Well, that just about does it for this thread.
Donny Hall

Doesn't look like a wasteland on google maps
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
I think there is lotsa potential for Spence. Lets see what plans they come up with. I go to plenty of Aggie games and granted I do not have a set tailgate spot, It doesn't bother me one bit that they are looking into ideas to enhance that area. Maybe they can find something that allows for game day tailgating, plus other improvements the other 355 days a year.
CS78
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

Maybe they can find something that allows for game day tailgating, plus other improvements the other 355 days a year.

You kid yourself. IF, and that's a big if, they allow tailgating it won't be for the masses. Can't have a bunch of old ags and kids running around uglying up their progress.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Wonder how many "free speech zones" and "safe spaces" he envisions there?
nashvilleaggie11
They are both parasites to Texas A&M and the community. Yuck.
runnrboy
AG
The real Spence Park, per Board of Regents order in 1953 is the block where Sanders Corps of Cadets Center is located (bounded by Coke, Joe Routt, Throckmorten, and Short St).
BrandoC
AG
Spence Park is a crap hole. What are you so upset about.........
isitjustme
AG
Guess reading comprehension isn't your thing. I pretty much spelled out what I don't like about it. Agree with me, don't agree with me, I don't really care. But I was fairly clear about why I disagreed with the planned "improvements."
Anonymous Source
S
agrab86 said:

And I'm just happy that I was able to enjoy Northgate as an undergrad in its natural state before they pretty-ed it all up.

Not sure if serious
Gig 'Em
Hammerheadjim
AG
That park has been in the works for a makeover for 4-5 years based on the campus master plan.
Not really new news.
Walk softly and carry a big stick! Make sure the big stick makes big boom noises and flashy bright lights.
Cyp0111
Must resist urge for change.
Picard
AG
Maybe we could build a Bonfire there?

isitjustme
AG
Picard said:

I'd be good with that. Should've never left a Duncan. Actually, pretty happy it's off campus and student led again without institutional organization.
lost my dog
agrab86 said:

Picard said:

I'd be good with that. Should've never left a Duncan. Actually, pretty happy it's off campus and student led again without institutional organization.
Wow. Given how unsafe Bonfire inherently is, your statement is very telling.

Anyway, Spence Park is a drainage nightmare, and the two administration houses there are not inhabited. It would be good to see something done with the space.
isitjustme
AG
lost my dog said:

agrab86 said:

Picard said:

Wow. Given how unsafe Bonfire inherently is, your statement is very telling.

Anyway, Spence Park is a drainage nightmare, and the two administration houses there are not inhabited. It would be good to see something done with the space.
How about moving the president back to the president's house and the Vp of student affairs back to the other house like it used to be. Should be a condition of having those jobs, and it was good enough for previous presidents and Koldus et al. Plus, I'm sure their backyard (Spence Park/Aggie Park) would look a lot better.

Also, please explain what was very telling about my previous comment - I'm interested in your perspective.
Cholula Verde
AG
I'll just leave this here:

https://www.chronicle.com/interactives/executive-compensation
Oogway
Is '86 the year you graduated? Were *born? One thing that has changed since 1986 is that the College Station campus has grown from 36,570 students to 69, 228. That is a lot of people! A lot of people to become former students and a lot of people on campus. That probably doesn't change the way you feel about Spence Park, and that is understandable, but it may be one of the issues driving the changes.

*If '86 is the year you were born and you graduated say around 2002, there were about 45,000 students on campus back then. If '86 has nothing to do whatsoever with any of those things, then I'll bow out about that!
isitjustme
AG
No, I'm getting to be an old fart - '86 is class year. And I've seen most of the campus and off-campus growth and accompanying changes since then as a long-time B-CS resident. I'm just starting to get tired of all the improvements that don't seem to improve anything but the egos of the impprovers. That's the old fart in me coming out!
runnrboy
AG
Quote:

The VP house is inhabited by the VP of Student Affairs.
TXAGBQ76
AG
When did Koldus live in the other house? I coached one of his daughters in softball when I was there and never dropped her off there.

Isn't the other house the Chancellors house?

Why does it matter where they live?
95_Aggie
AG
They should call Kyle Field a vast wasteland
isitjustme
AG
TXAGBQ76 said:

When did Koldus live in the other house? I coached one of his daughters in softball when I was there and never dropped her off there.

I think Koldus lived there when I was an undergrad, didn't know it was still inhabited. Chancellor's house was on Jersey/Bush between wellborn and 2818 but don't know where Sharp lives. I think it's nice for a college president to live on campus - I know our previous presidents did.
runnrboy
AG
agrab86 said:

TXAGBQ76 said:

I think Koldus lived there when I was an undergrad, didn't know it was still inhabited. Chancellor's house was on Jersey/Bush between wellborn and 2818 but don't know where Sharp lives. I think it's nice for a college president to live on campus - I know our previous presidents did.
Sharp lives in the Reed House, on George Bush across from the Bush Library.

It's my understanding and what I've heard through the rumor mill that Sharp didn't want either house occupied because he wanted to keep those for VIPs. But the VP for Student Affairs pushed to live on campus which is why the VP house is occupied.
AggieBarstool
OP, you mean that part of campus I routinely cut through to get from West Campus to Southside, then promptly forgot about?

I think the vast majority of the student body doesn't give a rat's ass about Spence Park. It's just the olds that want to keep it for tailgating.
GeographyAg
AG
Mr. GeographyAg and I are very glad to see them finally making improvements to the old Spence Park area. We're not wild about the name change but we like the looks of the plan, and imho, anything is better than the old eye-sore it's been.

We think it's going to be a vast improvement:

http://cbe.tamu.edu/Data/Sites/1/allouruploads/presidentialactions/2017actions/071917aggiepark.pdf

If I’m posting, it’s actually Mrs GeographyAg.
Mr. GeographyAg is a dedicated lurker.
KerrvilleAg
Young WILL put in some SJW BS around the new Spence. Count on it.
CS78
Wonder what they'll do with Rangers grave?
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.