TAMU President Young Says Spence Park a Wasteland

23,805 Views | 97 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by kfoster
trouble
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A little surprised Sharp doesn't want to just rent out the Prez house AirBnB style.
saber69
AG
FYI:
The "VP" house is the original President's Home.
I do not know when it was built, but I believe that it has been there a long time.

I believe that the current President's Home was built in the late sixties. I think that it was built after President/General Rudder passed away.
Cholula Verde
AG
General Rudder and his family lived in the home. His dog, Ranger, is buried on the property. The grave is easily visible.
commando2004
AG
TAMU announced today: Aggie Park Project To Commence In Spring

The redevelopment will demolish the President's House:
Quote:

Work will commence in March, beginning with the removal of One Circle Drive, an events space and former President's Home. Key architectural elements of the house will be preserved for future use.
techno-ag
AG
commando2004 said:

Quote:

Work will commence in March, beginning with the removal of One Circle Drive, an events space and former President's Home. Key architectural elements of the house will be preserved for future use.

Happy to hear they're preserving part of it.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
PS3D
techno-ag said:

commando2004 said:

Quote:

Happy to hear they're preserving part of it.

That could literally mean "the foundation".
Anonymous Source
S
trouble said:

A little surprised Sharp doesn't want to just rent out the Prez house AirBnB style.
In the not-too-distant past, that's where ESPN would stage up and have production meetings when College Gameday and the Saturday morning SEC show were in town.
Gig 'Em
jello123
I hope they once again reuse the historic bricks from any demolished portion of the Presidents home. "A salvage company paid A&M for the right to demolish old Science Building in 1963 and keep most of the materials. A&M reserved some of the materials. The red bricks, which had been handmade near Hearne, were reused in construction of the president's house", according to the Office of the President website.
gopitt
Dead grass and weeds situated right next to one of the top college stadiums in the country. I'm all in for a makeover of that embarrassing piece of real estate. Look forward to the makeover.
boredatwork08
AG
Just waiting for the university to charge for tailgating spots.
CaptTex
AG
I believe Midway Development is handling the project, or at least they were when we were shown renderings while I was in grad school. The space will indeed be gorgeous, and the man handling the project is more than capable of seeing it to that intended goal. Last I heard, tailgating will resume as normal through construction and once its complete, however we all know that plans change and money talks. The only issue I take with it, is the presidents house, though it is not the original it was built for Rudder. Why not incorporate the home into the landscape? Why demolish it and "preserve" part of it? Just leave the damn thing alone and quit *****ing about 4000 dollars a month in maintenance, when you cant even fix the damn streets on campus let alone get the grass to grow consistently.
TXCityGirl
The new Aggie Park will look really nice and be more usable space and less ditches. I look forward to checking it out once finished. I'm sure they will use some of the brick for pavers, so everyone can be happy about that.
Buford T. Justice
AG
I had the pleasure of attending a luncheon in the Presidents home about 15 years ago. Even at that time, the interior was so dated that it made the Brady Bunch home look like Tony Stark's lair.

Cholula Verde
AG
Buford T. Justice said:

I had the pleasure of attending a luncheon in the Presidents home about 15 years ago. Even at that time, the interior was so dated that it made the Brady Bunch home look like Tony Stark's lair.

For the record, the interior of the home was updated during Elsa Murano's presidency. All the windows in the home were replaced in 2015 just before Young arrived! Out of curiosity MR. Justice, how often do you and your spouse completely update your residence?
doubledog
I'm just glad that engineering is not putting up a new research office building there
Buford T. Justice
AG
We don't. We just move to a new home.
commando2004
AG
The President's House is gone.
hbc07
AG
commando2004 said:

Any idea what they did with Ranger's grave?
TexasAggie_02
AG
hbc07 said:

commando2004 said:

Any idea what they did with Ranger's grave?

Ranger wasn't in the presidents yard, he is closer to the path from the ring plaza and Throckmorton st.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/Y5i55qzLv63C7wsQ6
mjschiller
AG
I thought Young was going to quit or retire a couple of years ago?
Marvin J. Schiller
FlyRod
The haters have been saying and wishing that for years. It's not happening.
CS78
mjschiller said:

I thought Young was going to quit or retire a couple of years ago?

He's about like the big money football coaches that blow from town to town. Gets paid stupid money regardless of performance. Once he's finished destroying one of the last conservative universities, he'll take his money and laugh his way to the next town.
Cholula Verde
AG
FlyRod said:

The haters have been saying and wishing that for years. It's not happening.
How do you know?
FlyRod
Because, to paraphrase Tyrion, it's (part of) my job to know these things.
lost my dog
FlyRod said:

Because, to paraphrase Tyrion, it's (part of) my job to know these things.
Oh, so you're part of the Office of True Answers to Aggie Online Rumors and Complaints? Aren't they moving you out to Rellis?
FlyRod
Nope. But we did recently move into nice new digs. Nowhere near Rellis.
Cholula Verde
AG
FlyRod said:

Nope. But we did recently move into nice new digs. Nowhere near Rellis.
Good for you! Will you be joining him in his new gig at the Bush School/DC?
FlyRod
How did you figure it out?
kfoster
Saw this for the first time since being back on campus due to covid. Was pretty disappointed to see the house gone. Really surprising to me that something so stately couldnt be worked into the new design. Guess thats just one more thing down the drain

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.