Crime and Car Accidents On the Rise?

5,215 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by selk
AggieKatie2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Seems like KBTX is awash with stories of ATM thefts, fatal or serious car accidents, home invasions, drug dealers, etc. What in the world is going on?!?!
oklaunion
We made the same comment last night about the never ending violent crime stories that are local now. Maybe worse since Katrina? I think it is part and parcel of growth of an urban area. Also, gangs are a lot bigger component than most residents even consider because they don't want to be exposed to that reality.
Aggie
AG
Car accidents are because BCS is home to some of the absolute worst drivers imaginable.
People that have zero clue how to drive and zero clue how to handle a vehicle.
I drive quite a bit daily and no lie almost get hit 3-4 times a day.

95_Aggie
AG
Houston criminals are making their way up here
Broncos
Side effect of growth.
dallasiteinsa02
When we lived in San Antonio, they would report about the same crime for several days. KBTX does the same thing now. It is easier than finding something new to talk about.
saltydog13
AG
BCS isn't in some perfect bubble despite what some people want to believe. Close to the always growing Houston and 2 big highways that run East/west and north/south make for easy getaways.
chimmy
As far as crime goes, College Station is one of the safest cities
Quote:

THE SAFEST CITIES IN TEXAS
[ol]
  • Sugar Land
  • Plano
  • El Paso
  • College Station
  • Round Rock
  • [/ol]
    THE LEAST SAFE CITIES IN TEXAS
    [ol]
  • Lubbock
  • San Antonio
  • Beaumont
  • Amarillo
  • San Angelo
  • [/ol]

Methodology: Choosing our Cities

To get our list of Texas cities, we reviewed the most recent population data from the United States Census Bureau. While the Census is officially performed every 10 years, the U.S. Census Bureau provides population estimates for each year in between the census. We used their 2017 Population Estimation for Texas, and removed any cities with a population below 40,000.

Next, we referenced the FBI's Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) data to find the crime rates for each of these cities. The FBI has already released some early data for 2017, but it only covers the first half of the year. We used the 2016 report because it is the most recent report that captures a full year of data.
    The FBI compiles the UCR from crime data that is voluntarily submitted by state and local law enforcement agencies. If a Texas city did not submit their crime data to the UCR, we removed the city from our list.

After removing cities smaller than 40,000, and any cities that did not report their crime to the UCR, we had a final list of 39 cities. We ranked these according to their crime rate.
    Methodology:

How We Ranked the Safest Cities in Texas

Specifically, we looked at three types of crime for each city in Texas. These included:
    • Violent crime, including aggravated assault, murder and nonnegligent manslaughter, rape, and robbery
    • Property crime, including arson, burglary, larceny-theft, and motor vehicle theft
    • Burglary crime, including any unlawful entry into a structure to commit a felony or theft

https://www.tuck.com/safest-cities-texas/

College Station was ranked as the 11th safest city by another study conducted in 2016
    Lone Stranger
    Both a CSPD friend and my insurance agent have told me the 1st and 2nd week of September are historically the highest numbers of car accidents in town. City kids haven't slown down yet and country kids are still stopping in the middle of the road to backup when they missed their turn.
    nashvilleaggie11
    Read this thread this morning and then got a call that someone tried to break into my parents' house in College Station (Southside Historic District) last night. Caught the guy on Ring trying to open front door at 1am and then went into their backyard.

montegobay
    I am not at all surprised by the car accidents. It seems like every time I'm out I'm having to honk at someone at an intersection to go when the light turns green because they are staring at their phone. If they are doing the same thing while they are driving, that explains the increase in accidents.

As far as crime goes, I think we are seeing a bigger and bigger influx of drugs other than pot into the area and that is driving it.
    trouble
    AG
    Shush! I don't want him to ever consider moving to Bryan!
    doubledog
    Aggie said:

Car accidents are because BCS is home to some of the absolute worst drivers imaginable.

Each year we welcome over 68,000 of the state's least experienced drivers and concentrate them in a 50 square mile radius. These drivers include those from large urban areas, where speeding and weaving through traffic is a right of passage and from small rural areas where parking in the middle of main street to chat or rest is the norm. Combine them all together and you have chaos.

Finally every student, at A&M and Blinn, own two cars and drive each car to campus at the same time
    Well I exaggerate but you get my point.
    saltydog13
    AG
    There's just as many bad drivers that are adults/old folks as there are students. Scariest time of day to drive is mid morning with all the old folks out driving around 10-20 below speed limits
    merc
    AG
    Rapidly falling beyond in road strucutre and capacity as the area gets larger doesnt help with driving either.
    Builder93
    AG
    I've been told through the grapevine that there is a big drug problem on campus that TAMU is trying to keep quiet. If that is true, it's probably contributing to the number of dealers we keep seeing arrested in the area. Where there is a demand......

Can anyone verify this rumor?
    rsa
    AG
    merc said:

Rapidly falling beyond in road strucutre and capacity as the area gets larger doesnt help with driving either.
    Exactly! we've lived in College Station since 1985 and we have yet to see any city planners and city councils take a proactive approach to planning roads to help drive growth. The prevailing attitude is to let things grow & then figure out how to deal with the traffic.
    techno-ag
    AG
    doubledog said:

Aggie said:

Each year we welcome over 68,000 of the state's least experienced drivers and concentrate them in a 50 square mile radius. These drivers include those from large urban areas, where speeding and weaving through traffic is a right of passage and from small rural areas where parking in the middle of main street to chat or rest is the norm. Combine them all together and you have chaos.

Finally every student, at A&M and Blinn, own two cars and drive each car to campus at the same time
    It's actually not much of an exaggeration.
    AggieBarstool
    doubledog said:

Aggie said:

I really wish Texas A&M would implement a rule that underclassmen have to live on campus and are not allowed to have a car.

This would be a win-win: congestion would (hopefully) ease up some and off-campus parking structures could charge whatever they want because underclassmen would be desperate for a way to have their car in town.
    agnerd
    AG
    AggieBarstool said:

I really wish Texas A&M would implement a rule that underclassmen have to live on campus and are not allowed to have a car.

This would be a win-win: congestion would (hopefully) ease up some and off-campus parking structures could charge whatever they want because underclassmen would be desperate for a way to have their car in town.
    I never had a parking pass in 4 years and even lived on-campus one year. Parked in the neighborhoods around campus and rode my bike. You really want 20,000 cars parked legally on all the public streets around campus? That will make every day look like game day.
    saltydog13
    AG
    [Feel free to post your opinion but do it in a respectful manner on Aggieland. -Staff]
    TimsParents
    S
    Actually many large Universities already do this and it works well. The excellent bus system allows access to most anywhere in town most new students would need to go off campus
    Gig'Em & God Bless
    saltydog13
    AG
    Interesting. The excellent bus systems at those universities I assume? I'd rather have the ability to choose where my kids live (on/off campus) and letting them have the freedom with their own vehicle.
    CN
    saltydog13 said:

There's just as many bad drivers that are adults/old folks as there are students. Scariest time of day to drive is mid morning with all the old folks out driving around 10-20 below speed limits
    Totally agree. I've lived here for a while and the few times my wife or I have been backed into or rear ended, not one time was it a student that did it. When I try to take the Wm. Fitch exit heading south, it's not students ahead of me that drop down to 60mph a 1/4 mile before the exit. And it's not just students that nearly cut me off because they can't stay in their clearly marked lane when taking a two lane left turn.
    AggieBarstool
    TimsParents said:

Actually many large Universities already do this and it works well. The excellent bus system allows access to most anywhere in town most new students would need to go off campus
    Yup, including UT in Austin.

Source: Was told this on a college visit there in 2000. To bad TAMU can't figure this out... 19 years later.
    AggieBarstool

Name one thing a student living on-campus needs that can't be satisfied by:
    • an establishment on campus
    • walking across the street to Northgate/Eastgate/Southgate/Westgate
    • taking the bus (yeah, it's not superb, but it's good enough. Rode it for years.)
    • ordered and delivered by one of the half-dozen services that cater to this very need (Favor, Doordash, Postmates, etc.)
    • hitching a ride with a friend who has a car

I lived on campus for three years, as well as off-campus in BFE for two years, without a car and did juuuuuuuuuuuust fine. But maybe things have changed in this day and age. I'm happy to hear your argument.

AggieBaseball06
    AG
    It doesn't help that CSPD is brutally understaffed.
    saltydog13
    AG
    What if you need to go home? Your parents going to have to come pick you up. That's an extra round trip every time that's unnecessary vs if you had a car.

Costs- why should I be forced to pay the high costs of on campus living when there are cheaper options available off campus? Not to mention the off campus garage parking idea you had would probably charge a very high premium.

A student with a job needs to have their vehicle to be able to drive to work and not rely on public transportation which more than likely doesn't even go to their work.

At the end of the day, it's a major inconvenience in my opinion. I don't like the idea of making it mandatory.
    saltydog13
    AG
    Speak of the devil...all 3 folks are upstanding citizens from Houston. The Good Samaritan who tried to stop them was lucky he wasn't shot. https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/College-Station-Police-arrest-three-in-armed-robbery-562293611.html
    doubledog
    saltydog13 said:

What if you need to go home? Your parents going to have to come pick you up. That's an extra round trip every time that's unnecessary vs if you had a car.

Costs- why should I be forced to pay the high costs of on campus living when there are cheaper options available off campus? Not to mention the off campus garage parking idea you had would probably charge a very high premium.

A student with a job needs to have their vehicle to be able to drive to work and not rely on public transportation which more than likely doesn't even go to their work.

At the end of the day, it's a major inconvenience in my opinion. I don't like the idea of making it mandatory.
    1. ZipCar https://www.zipcar.com/universities/texas-a-and-m
    2. Security
    3. Jobs for Aggies (student workers)
    4. I agree it is a major inconvenience for some, a blessing for others.
    selk
    AG
    Are you the bad driver?
    Refresh
    Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.