martial arts for a teen girl

2,852 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by quirkyaggie
JaxDad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am looking for a studio for my 15 year old daughter and am looking for recommendations. Thanks in advance.
UmustBKidding
I suspect the real answer depends on your goals, and being 15 likely makes them different than if they were 7. Known Augie & Donna Palmasino for a long time and think they have a good program for both technique and respect (which is severely lacking in teens these days). If the goal is self defense probably good also, but if it is to deal with ongoing threats not sure fighting is the solution but suspect MMA or Krav is likely to put you in a position to defend/disable from attack sooner than traditional martial arts.
Stupe
S
Palmisano's is a great place to get them started. She will learn the basics of fighting and, as the previous poster said, they stress respect. STRESS.

The good thing about Tae Kwon Do is that it is designed to keep space between you and your attacker. If she enjoys it, she can always add Krav or Jui Jitsu which train for close combat.

Palmisano's
coopers hawk
+1 for Palmisano's. They're very well run and invested in their students. But it really depends on what you're looking for.
JaxDad
AG
She has never taken a class but is a respectful kid. We just moved to the area and I'm looking for ways she can develop positive hobbies. I thank you for your recommendations
Koko Chingo
AG
I would look at the Academy of Modern Martial Arts (AMMA) and try Judo. She can try it out for free to see if she likes it.

The instructor is Bob Perez also the A&M Judo coach and coach of USA Judo World games. AMMA is great and easy to deal with. They are located right next to Little Caesars Pizza on SW Parkway & Texas Ave.

My daughter did Judo there for many years and she loves it. There is no pressure to do competitions, you can if you want. They do not have crazy belt testing fees (you just pay for the physical new belt, less than $10). It also takes a while to get promoted in Judo versus some of the other Martial Arts. But if you receive your belt from Bob, then you earned it.

AMMA, offers other types of martial arts too. I am promoting Judo; but, she may like something else. Have her try a couple of different classes to see what she likes. AMMA will let you do that. Even the monthly fee lets you do all the classes; maybe take Modern Arnis (using weapons), or Taekwondo.

https://www.ammacs.com/
rsa
AG
Master Brandan Rhoades & coaches at Infinity Taekwondo run a great program for learners of all ages and skill levels.
Love Gun
Charli
Montoya's Shorin Kempo Karate-Jitsu

Mr. Montoya has trained our daughters. Very pleased with the results of self confidence and self defense instilled in both of them.

You can check out this dojo on Facebook.

Most of all, visit each school that interests you. Just ask to observe and visit with the students. Visiting and observing is the best way to find a dojo that fits.
Tailgate88
AG
My son is 16 and just started Judo at AMMA and he loves it. There are several girls his age there as well.
quirkyaggie
AG
I second Bob Perez, as a female that's taken Judo since I was 5 I can't begin to tell you the impact it's had on my life. It's given me a confidence and a skill that no other martial art could've done.
I completed on the National and International stage. It helped me set goals, allowed me the opportunity to see the world and experience other cultures.
I took Judo all over the world because my family moved a lot and the most comforting thing was that every dojo was basically the same (minus so small differences from each Sensei) curriculum in every dojo.
I knew that every belt I earned that I'd tested hard for it and really deserved it and promotional time was based on a point system of competing, placing in competition, and going to practice.
As a 40+ woman now and looking back on my formidable years, I'm convinced that what I learned on and off the mat from Judo, kept me from making bad/risky decisions that I saw other friends making.
It was also an amazing way for a teenage girl to let out stress. She can throw giant guys around all the time and not get in trouble.
I stayed fit, prioritized my life, gained confidence, learned how to defend myself but was never encouraged to be offensive, stayed fit and healthy and made life long friends around the world.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.