Fox 44 Not Streaming Football Games

2,541 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Sweet Kitten Feet
Sweet Kitten Feet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
I use YouTubeTV for our TV provider. I'm curious if any other streaming services are having this issue. It seems that Fox 44 out of Waco has chosen not to make games available for streaming. I can see the game in my guide, but it has the symbol saying it's not viewable and when I select it I get a screen saying "This program is unavailable for streaming on the internet." After some research it looks like local stations control their streaming content and they can choose to stream or not. If they've consciously made this choice it seems awfully shortsighted. Streaming is growing in popularity and they are eliminating that segment of the market from their advertisers. I've emailed the general manager up there asking why this is being done as I want to watch my football.

Anyway, I'm curious if this is a problem only on YouTubeTV or if they've done this to other streaming providers as well.
dubi
AG
Can't you pick them up with an antenna?
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
I don't want to have to switch back and forth between inputs. I want to watch on YouTubeTV like I watch every other channel.
bobinator
AG
Not sure what streaming device you use for YouTubeTV, but does it work on FoxSportsGo? Not as easy as switching channels on YTTV, but better than having to switch inputs.
woodometer
AG
The local affiliate stream blackouts are likely being mandated to the local station by the Fox Network. Likely not all of the commercials have been cleared for streaming. You will probably have to log into the foxgo app to watch the game. Car dealer ads are usually the culprit. They advertise regional deals that they do not want seen in all parts of the country. CBS used to have this same issue until a year or so ago and not they almost never mandate streaming blackouts.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Wasn't an issue last season. This is the first time I've had any problems. Really annoying.
expresswrittenconsent
Sweet Kitten Feet said:

Wasn't an issue last season. This is the first time I've had any problems. Really annoying.

Have you tried streaming via the fox sports app?
halibut sinclair
Sweet Kitten Feet said:

I don't want to have to switch back and forth between inputs. I want to watch on YouTubeTV like I watch every other channel.

Then its not that important to you. Move on.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
halibut sinclair said:

Sweet Kitten Feet said:

Then its not that important to you. Move on.

WTF? Yeah. I want to get what I pay for and be able to watch games from my tv provider. Go be a **** somewhere else
CCMD
AG
It looks like Fox 44 is also blocking regular prime time fox shows on YouTube TV. You're right, this is something recent. I can't find any reason posted online.
AgsWin2011
AG
It's been like this for me too. I have Apple TV and Roku. Just download the fox sports go app and login with your YouTube TV credentials and it allows you to stream. Yes, it's stupid and doesn't make any sense, but it works.
CapitalFarmCredit
Sponsor
Username doesn't check out.
Sponsor Message:Whether looking to become a rural land owner, buy that ideal hunting property or finance your farm or ranching operation- with Capital Farm Credit, you're covered.
And our patronage dividend program means we share our profits and put money back in your pocket.

Together we’re better. Call 877-944-5500 or visit https://www.capitalfarmcredit.com/ to find out how.

agnerd
AG
Sweet Kitten Feet said:

Streaming is growing in popularity and they are eliminating that segment of the market from their advertisers.
It's much easier to skip commercials on streaming services than the broadcast signal. You actually need hardware instead of just software on broadcast.

The news station has already sold broadcast advertising that is bring broadcast into most houses. They have no reason to give away streaming broadcast advertising for free. That's why you see different commercials on streaming vs the broadcast. When companies are willing to buy streaming advertising and they can be guaranteed that people will see their commercials, Fox will start streaming. They will also need to get enough money from youtube and other streamers to make it worth their while. Hulu will probably give them more money if they don't allow youtube to stream Fox because they will get a lot of people to switch providers. Lots of money to be made here for the station as long as you don't just give your content away for free.

Best way to achieve the change you want is to get businesses to inquire about streaming advertising opportunities and buy time. You don't happen to own a business that advertises to the public, do you?
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
It's not a change in seeking. It's restoration of what they used to provide. I see all thr commercials when streaming unless I've dvr'd it. I'm talking about live tv not DVR though. Good news is that I contacted the general manager of the station and he's taken some of my test results and is working on something. Supposed to call him tomorrow.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Was able to have a couple conversations with the station manager. Provided him some test data. He got with the network and they discovered a problem. It was fixed by Friday night and worked fine over the weekend.
halibut sinclair
Good to hear it. That input switching is a ****.
Koko Chingo
AG
As a YouTube TV customer I thank you.

My wife said some of the prime-time shows on Fox 44 we not showing live. It was fixed about the same timeline as your call. I am chalking up that fix to your phone call too.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Yeah primetime programming started to get blocked as well. Hopefully it's fixed now. If only I could get suddenlink to stop dropping out for 30 seconds at a time every few minutes.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.