Termites

1,945 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by trouble
BryanPooch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Has anyone seen termites swarming this week? We've seen a bit of swarming and it could be flying termites or flying ants. We're just west of 29th Street and south of Barak Lane not far from the government offices shopping complex on 29th.

It's been a long time since we saw any termites nearby. Maybe we're concerned about nothing. We do have pest control but they probably can't get out for a few days.

Have a great Labor Day weekend!

BryanPooch
JP76
They usually swarm around April from my experience. Perhaps ecozapp will chime in on his past experiences
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
Here to hopefully help - I got ~15 years of hunting down termites under my belt.

Termites usually swarm around the first HOT & Humid days of the year in the Spring. Our rule of thumb is/was about after the first few days over 90 Degrees + nice steamy rain with sunshine. (Swarming Termites can't live very long without moisture and drop wings very fast)

However, late swarms are possible around September with subterranean termites with plenty of Heat + Humidity. Swarmers take a little while to develop their wings to fly away with a nice wind and they usually all go at once. Chances of survival are extremely limited- so termites flyout in vast numbers from their log (or your bath traps). So having a 2nd round 6 months later is tough unless some stayed put with all the rain we've had.

Termite swarms and termites in general have seemed to be on the decline for many years in this area with the use of longer lasting pesticides and required pretreatments on new construction + if you spray your foundation regularly for general pests well enough, it's much tougher for them to develop a colony/ tunnel to start eating your home.

Fun Fact: I used to keep a log from Lick creek park with termites inside a big container for Blazer our 'Retired' Termite detection K-9. Even though the humidity inside was always ample, termites seem semi intelligent and just know when the time is right in the Spring. One day around April I opened the container and thousands bolted / flew out covering the inside of my garage. Almost no winged reproductive termites remained after about 20 seconds- very fragile wings w/ very limited time to use them.

Drywood termites on the other hand are a whole different topic- but are very seldom seen much until you get about 45 mins closer to the coast.

trouble
AG
We've seen lots of flying ants not too far from you. We're basically at Carter Creek & Villa Maria.
woodiewood1
trouble said:

We've seen lots of flying ants not too far from you. We're basically at Carter Creek & Villa Maria.
Capture one and see if it's a termite or an ant. Termites have equal sized wings, their bodies are not segmented and think in mddile and the antennas are basically straight.
trouble
AG
I have. My Daddy was a pest control operator for years. It's ants.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.