Pro to help with large brown spots in St Augustine yard

5,484 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by greenerlawnscapes
MUAG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Large brown spots that are getting larger. Can't find any chinch bugs. Don't know if brown patch or not.
Didn't find thread that had good recommendations as who to call for help earlier this summer. thanks for any recommendations.
MUAG
greenerlawnscapes
Howdy!
Our lawncare company is a sponsor here in MyBCS. We'd be happy to take a look at what may be going on in your yard. Feel free to give me a call or drop an email.

Daniel Sherrod
979-705-9545
www.greenerlawnscapes.com
TBone94 (former)
MUAG said:

Large brown spots that are getting larger. Can't find any chinch bugs. Don't know if brown patch or not.
Didn't find thread that had good recommendations as who to call for help earlier this summer. thanks for any recommendations.
We are starting to see Brown Patch (fungus) begin to appear in St. Augustine. We're also continuing to see chinch bugs as well. The description you mention sounds like it could be Brown Patch.

How often are you watering? What time of day? Watering habits in August and September can affect the occurrence of Brown Patch.

We provide safe, effective, solutions to cure and prevent fungi like Brown Patch as part of our service. Included in this treatment is also fall fertilization and chinch bug prevention. If you'd like to shoot me an email at tim@aggielandgreen.com I'd be happy to take a look at it for you.

Best,

Tim Schnabel '94
Aggieland Green
https://www.aggielandgreen.com/

Check out our google and facebook reviews:
https://www.google.com/search?q=aggieland+green&oq=aggieland+gree&aqs=chrome.0.0l3j69i61l3.3958j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#lrd=0x86469ab328edb847:0xde130c802dd6b87f,1,,,

https://www.facebook.com/pg/aggielandgreen/reviews/?ref=page_internal
JayHowdy!
I recommend Tim at Aggieland Green. I have using them for 3 years now. My yard has never looked better
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
7 years with Tim @ Aggieland Green

Always has the right answer, the right equipment, the right people

Go for the annual quarterly service

you're watering too much... causing mold...

go to Closed Quarters in wellborn and get something called 'F/stop'... its what pros use to stop brown spot.... and lower your timer on your watering ...

or go to Farm Patch and ask for ANNE... she's the plant person,.. used to be the plant person at the COOP and at Closed Quarters.... she'd tell u to stop watering so much, and to use F-stop. but thats my advice..
d
classicdoug
AG
Another vote for Tim at Aggieland Green.
TBone94 (former)
studioone said:

you're watering too much... causing mold...

go to Closed Quarters in wellborn and get something called 'F/stop'... its what pros use to stop brown spot.... and lower your timer on your watering ...

or go to Farm Patch and ask for ANNE... she's the plant person,.. used to be the plant person at the COOP and at Closed Quarters.... she'd tell u to stop watering so much, and to use F-stop. but thats my advice..
d

Thanks Howdy, Classic, and SPI. Really appreciate the kind words.

Actually, went out to take a look and found an army of chinch bugs destroying the lawn. This is the trouble that many homeowners face... diagnosing the real issue causing the problem. We run into chinch bugs, grubworms, take-all root rot, St. Augustine decline, Brown patch, Grey leaf spot, soil pH issues, poor drainage, too much shade, pre-emergent damage, and more. Watering too much or too little are both common problems, but there are many, many deeper issues that exist.

If you don't know the issue or if you're guessing, it's difficult to figure out what to do to solve the problem. That's where we come in. We come out and treat according to what the lawn needs at each stage of the year, and diagnose issues before they pose a problem. We also advise our customers on how to water smart, which hopefully saves the homeowner on their water bill.
turfman80
AG
Traditional Brown Patch (Rhizoctonia) needs free moisture and temps below 70 degrees to start up. I would check for chinch bugs or inadequate water coverage at this point.
Yeah, well, sometimes nothing is a real cool hand
TBone94 (former)
turfman80 said:

Traditional Brown Patch (Rhizoctonia) needs free moisture and temps below 70 degrees to start up. I would check for chinch bugs or inadequate water coverage at this point.
We've already been seeing Rhizoctonia in lawns. Not widespread, but it's out there.

It's pretty much inevitable in our area in September or October, but lawns that get it in August are always overwatering and have heavy thatch.

With that said, we always plan our suppression treatments around the late summer forecast for nighttime lows to dip to 70 or below.

... and upon inspection of this lawn it was full of chinch bugs.
91_Aggie
AG
chinch bugs got my lawn 2 years ago... it's back, and I put it a reminder in my calendar on my phone to put down bug killer every 2 months no matter what. Once you see the brown spots, there's are already lots of other damaged grass that hasn't died yet. Putting down bug killer won't harm your lawn if you don't actually need it, and apparently in this area YOU ARE GOING TO GET CHINCH BUGS if you aren't treating your lawn for them regularly.
halibut sinclair
We've been using Aggieland Green for a little over a year now and our lawn has never looked better.
91_Aggie
AG
AggielandGreen said:

I guess people's lawns are not subject to HIPPA laws.
Stupe
S
Aggieland Green was running a promo for a while for a free treatment if you mention TexAgs.

Is that still going on?
TBone94 (former)
91_Aggie said:

AggielandGreen said:

I guess people's lawns are not subject to HIPPA laws.
haha thankfully not
TBone94 (former)
Stupe said:

Aggieland Green was running a promo for a while for a free treatment if you mention TexAgs.

Is that still going on?
Not officially, but I don't see why not.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
AggielandGreen said:

Stupe said:

Is that still going on?
Not officially, but I don't see why not.

TEXAGS!!

I'll tentatively schedule you for Sept 15
Tim and Aggieland Green are fantastic. Used them at least for the last 4 years! No Brown Patch!
scd88
AG
I've used Aggieland Green for 7 years now at two houses. First house had Bermuda and this one has St. Augustine. While I can't stand St. Augustine, my yard has never looked better this late in the year.

It's the year round treatment that makes the grass hearty and strong.
TLIAC
AG
Ten years with Aggieland Green. I've stayed because I'm super picky about my grass and they have done a great job.
TBone94 (former)
Thanks for the kind words of support y'all. It means everything to me and my staff that work so hard out in the elements (and in the office).

A word of caution for homeowners in the area. We are starting to see small spots of Brown Patch fungus in about 1/2 of the lawns. They are relatively unnoticeable to most people who aren't looking at every square inch of their lawn every week.

Other than preventative care, the best advice I can provide is to water only in the morning, as close as possible to when the dew is on the lawn. This would be as the sun is coming up. Water between 5 or 6am, and finish before 9am or so. Watering at night late August and September leads to much more occurrence of Brown Patch because the thatch stays wet longer, which is how and where the brown patch begins. By mid to late October, the brown patch will take over the lawn. Those same lawns are the least healthy in the Spring.

Tim Schnabel
Aggielandgreen.com
MUAG
Been trying to post since last Fri when an Aggieland Green technician came to start treatments. Came on time, was very professional, said what was going to do and why, when done explained again what was done and expected results. So far so good. Don't know why I could not post earlier.
MUAG
JR Ewing
AG
Been using Aggieland Green for 2 years. Tim's crew is the best. The yard is in incredible shape. I highly recommend Tim and the team at Aggieland Green.
TxTransplant12
Brown patch is starting to pop up at my neighbors house but not mine!!! They are always great about notifying me before my visits, which I really appreciate so I know to make arrangements for my dog. Thanks Tim and Aggieland Green!
bobinator
AG
I've got some browning in parts of my yard but it seems to only affect one type of grass. Like the other grass still looks healthy. Is that normal?
greenerlawnscapes
Howdy Bobinator!
it's a bit tough to diagnose from description alone. What type of grass is being affected? Is is circular or random pattern? Can you post pictures? St. Augustine is more susceptible to brown patch, but other types can be affected as well.

Happy to take a look in person for you if you'd like to shoot me an email or call.

Daniel Sherrod
979-705-9545
greenerlawnscapes.com
bobinator
AG

bobinator
AG
Thanks for any internet analysis! Don't really have any money in my September budget for the yard...
greenerlawnscapes
No problem! Without getting in the yard and checking myself I'd say you have (or had) chinch bugs. They love the heat and can move through a yard fast. The damage in these pictures is not brown patch.

If anything changes, we'd love the opportunity to earn your business. Have a good one!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.