Traffic question - Univ. Dr. & Tx Ave.

3,955 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by doubledog
Fleen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Southbound traffic on Texas approaching University, the number of people that fly up the turn lane to ultimately turn left on University is rediculous. They often enter the lane as far back as the First Watch etc. complex...
Best I can find is that traveling more than 300 feet can be cited..
doubledog
Yes more than 300 feet and it becomes a driving lane.

Take 29th street to Tarrow then turn on University. Out of the way, but will help with the congestion on Texas Ave.
histag10
AG
I always went Carter Creek to 29th to University. It was quicker than going up to 29th on villa maria. Then if I was going to campus, I would cross University to Tarrow, Lincoln, Nunn, Walton and enter campus there. I found it easier than trying to fight dumb drivers on University.

Sadly, now my drive takes me on Hwy 30 all the way to Tx (or George Bush) and then fighting traffic on GB onto campus. It was ridiculous this morning.
Nosh
The issue is that they also need access to turn into the hotel and Sonic. There are plenty of traffic problems created by the planning (or lack thereof) in this general area. At campus the no turn on red signs are constantly ignored, as well as cars entering an intersection simply because they have a green light when traffic is already backed up from the next intersection. It jams everything up. Is that even enforced? You could have an officer in this area full time.
histag10
AG
Nosh said:

The issue is that they also need access to turn into the hotel and Sonic. There are plenty of traffic problems created by the planning (or lack thereof) in this general area. At campus the no turn on red signs are constantly ignored, as well as cars entering an intersection simply because they have a green light when traffic is already backed up from the next intersection. It jams everything up. Is that even enforced? You could have an officer in this area full time.

There are never officers in this area. I attribute it to being because its right where the city lines are, and would guess BPD thinks CSPD will handle it and vice-versa. Which is also why you can make it from University & Texas to Villa Maria & Texas going like 55.
TxSquarebody
histag10 said:

Nosh said:

There are never officers in this area. I attribute it to being because its right where the city lines are, and would guess BPD thinks CSPD will handle it and vice-versa. Which is also why you can make it from University & Texas to Villa Maria & Texas going like 55.

I must be the only unlucky one in town. I got a warning a few months back for making a right on red towards Northgate, and I always see a BPD Gestspo on his bike near Fritella's when headed north on Texas.
BetsyParker
AG
histag10 said:

Nosh said:

I see BPD motorcycle officers on this stretch (in Bryan) quite frequently. It is frustrating because it requires effort to maintain 40 mph on this portion of the road. It wants to drive more like 50.

It also requires my patience (which ebbs and flows) to be in a line of cars waiting at the University light while travelling south on Texas. Drivers ahead of me typically like to let the cars coming out of the Century Square area turn right in front of them or allow them to pull out and wait for cars to stop so they can cross over into the left-turn lane. This frequently causes me to have to sit through the light for more cycles than I would need to if the people ahead of me weren't deciding that I can wait while they are generous.
fastsloth
Hopefully not a thread derailment: It seems to me that police avoid areas with a lot of traffic, which is where they need to be. I often see them pulling people over on William Fitch between Rock Prairie and Highway 30, where the speed limit is 60. I suspect it is much easier money citing people for going 65 on a country road where the speed limit should be 70.
Also, please enlighten me as to whether it is possible to time traffic lights where you don't have to stop at every.single.light, like on George Bush and sometimes University Drive. I suspect that kind of frustration is part of the reason so many people run red lights.
histag10
AG
I have found that if you drive roughly 3-5 mph over the speed limit on University and Texas, it is possible to hit all lights green.

There is a cop that sits at George Bush and Texas and has people pulled over daily. I'd say this is a high traffic area that they enforce.
AgFan1999
AG
can't do that now that they've re-timed the lights on University near campus.
histag10
AG
AgFan1999 said:

can't do that now that they've re-timed the lights on University near campus.

Well that's just dumb. Though I rarely drive down University near campus these days.
AgGunNut
AG
Traffic officers (motorcycles in both cities) deploy to areas where higher percentages of crashes occur, school zones, and areas where they receive complaints (complaints through official methods).

Patrol officers will run traffic in areas relative to where they are assigned to work (each city is broken into smaller areas to have city-wide coverage).
AgFan1999
AG
Now that they've re timed everything to be more pedestrian friendly, it has had an interesting side effect. At the corner of Bizzell/University, now there's a large number of pedestrians who dis-regard the cross-walk and walk diagonally through the intersection rather than go through 2 cross walks.
doubledog
AgFan1999 said:

Now that they've re timed everything to be more pedestrian friendly, it has had an interesting side effect. At the corner of Bizzell/University, now there's a large number of pedestrians who dis-regard the cross-walk and walk diagonally through the intersection rather than go through 2 cross walks.
Each light between Bizzell and Welborn takes about 3 minutes per cycle. If you "hit" each light you on University, between Bizzell and Welborn you can spend a good 10-15mins to go four blocks (depending on traffic).

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.