George Bush / Wellborn

8,635 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by jagouar1
Post removed:
by user
Fonzie Scheme
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FAT SEXY said:

;kldjf;lkdjflkjdlkj.. This entire segment of town is not set up for the influx of students that A&M is bringing in these days.

Also.. honorable mention for the entirety of Holleman for being a cluster****

Protip: avoid
ratfacemcdougal
Just wait for the bush/welborn over/under/around pass starts construction
Outlaw0206
AG
ratfacemcdougal said:

Just wait for the bush/welborn over/under/around pass starts construction
Speaking of which, when is that suppose to start?
cajunken
Doesn't road construction usually coincide with major events, such as the beginning of football season, in order to maximize traffic disruption? Looks like we're behind schedule.
histag10
AG
cajunken said:

Doesn't road construction usually coincide with major events, such as the beginning of football season, in order to maximize traffic disruption? Looks like we're behind schedule.

Just trying to lull us into a false sense of security. I'm sure they'll start in a month or so
redd38
AG
We're supposed to always trust that the traffic engineers know better than us! That intersection is perfect, we're just not smart enough to understand why.
95_Aggie
AG
Now that the DD construction is done and there is no crossing traffic anymore, can they please raise the speed limit on 2818 at Stotzer from 50 mph?
Gameday Traffic Guy
AG
ratfacemcdougal said:

Just wait for the bush/wellborn over/under/around pass starts construction
The significant part of that construction wont start for a few years. But the FM 2818 construction will likely begin in the Fall of 2020. More info here: https://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/projects/studies/bryan/fm2818.html
AggiePhil
AG
Gameday Traffic Guy said:

The significant part of that construction wont start for a few years.

That's a shame. Been "in the works" for many many years now.
saltydog13
AG
Nope. They're also gonna leave the cones there for another year at least too
95_Aggie
AG
That's to keep all those AG employees at that office complex north of Stotzer from "cheating".
doubledog
This morning lived up to the hype. The "new and improved" University drive between Texas Ave and Welborn was the worst cluster ***** I have seen in 30+ years (and I was in early). The delayed signals (and no right turns) will keep the pedestrians safe (which is good) but expect long delays during the "rush" hours.
AgFan1999
AG
You act as if the pedestrians pay attention to crosswalks.
woodiewood1

ratfacemcdougal said:

The significant part of that construction wont start for a few years. But the FM 2818 construction will likely begin in the Fall of 2020. More info here: https://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/projects/studies/bryan/fm2818.html
That improvement is needed but is there really a need for sidewalks? I drive that stretch of road two or three times a day many days and never see anyone walking along the road. Will sidewalks cause people to decide to walk along 2818?
Gigem314
AG

ratfacemcdougal said:

Another year for the 2818 project? Jeez. I hope what they decide to do is worth it, for all the time that's been put in.
LocalAg96
AG
I don't know if it will do any good or not but I have been logging complaints and requesting they make the traffic lights on 2818 longer through the City's Traffic Signal System. Here is the link....

https://www.cstx.gov/cms/one.aspx?portalId=12410917&pageId=14120362

Wellborn and FM 2818 are horrible. Took me 15 minutes to get from Traffic light on Wellborn at New HEB to the Holleman/FM 2818 Intersection on Tuesday.

They need to do something to fix the mess everywhere or they are going to have a lot of angry residents on their hands.
Builder93
AG
Whenever I read these threads, my decision to move to Bryan looks even better.
Gameday Traffic Guy
AG
woodiewood1 said:

ratfacemcdougal said:

The significant part of that construction wont start for a few years. But the FM 2818 construction will likely beginI in the Fall of 2020. More info here: https://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/projects/studies/bryan/fm2818.html
That improvement is needed but is there really a need for sidewalks? I drive that stretch of road two or three times a day many days and never see anyone walking along the road. Will sidewalks cause people to decide to walk along 2818?
The 2818 "sidewalks" will probably be used by cycles more than peds, but like with Bush/Wellborn there are bike/ped trips that are in cars now because its not healthy to walk or bike on those streets now.
runnrboy
AG
Still don't understand why frontage roads aren't constructed along 2818. There's plenty of right of way to this. Then make the main lanes of 2818 a freeway with overpasses at the intersections. This will allow the signals to be removed and alleviate the traffic in and out of the apartment complexes.
Gameday Traffic Guy
AG
runnrboy said:

Still don't understand why frontage roads aren't constructed along 2818. There's plenty of right of way to this. Then make the main lanes of 2818 a freeway with overpasses at the intersections. This will allow the signals to be removed and alleviate the traffic in and out of the apartment complexes.
Have you seen the plans for 2818?
Google fm 2818 project and get to here: https://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/projects/studies/bryan/fm2818.html
and you'll see - basically - frontage roads being built plus one more lane each direction. Space for overpasses in the future when the need arises and funding allows.
Post removed:
by user
meteoag
University seems to have gotten worse since the new traffic lights have gone up. It takes longer to go from Wellborn to 6 on University than it does from 610 to FM1960 on 290 in Houston.
75AG
AG
Yeah. No.
redd38
AG
meteoag said:

University seems to have gotten worse since the new traffic lights have gone up. It takes longer to go from Wellborn to 6 on University than it does from 610 to FM1960 on 290 in Houston.

Just go through the neighborhoods in Bryan just north of University, much faster now than using University.
isitjustme
AG
redd38 said:

meteoag said:

Just go through the neighborhoods in Bryan just north of University, much faster now than using University.
I found myself having to go down university from tarrow to wellborn this morning at 8:15. After having to stop at university and TX, I only had to stop again at university and so college for about 20 seconds. Otherwise it was green the whole way - thought I had entered the twilight zone. I have since decided that this was the exception that proves the rule that university drive is not very pleasant to drive on at most all times.
PS3D
75AG said:

Yeah. No.

Well, let's see here. The Houston route described is 12.8 miles, and according to Houston TranStar, it is around 70 mph average during most of the day (although rush hour times cause it to jam up in certain parts). Therefore, it would take about 11 minutes to travel through the area, adding 2-3 minutes to account for random slowdowns. Wellborn to 6 on University is 2.9 miles. So, taken into account that it's longer than 11 minutes, which would be 0.18333 hours, the speed on University would be (2.9 miles/.18333 hours) which comes out to an average of 15 miles per hour, which is the average for "inner city driving" anyway (Phoenix, Orlando, Dallas, Houston). (source). Going that speed WOULD actually match times for Houston and College Station. The only way this works though is by giving 290 the benefit of the doubt in terms of average speeds, but even taking that into account, it's not a huge exaggeration.
75AG
AG
I shouldn't have commented. That would have saved you a bunch of time.
meteoag
I timed it today got on at Discovery drive at 5:23pm and made it to 6 by 5:37 and I consider that a good day with students in town. I'm talking about days like last week where it took > 30 minutes to make the trip. Once you cross over Texas the lights are timed fairly well it's just the campus area.
TommyBrady
AG
I just got back from Lubbock and those people somehow have "found the funding" for a loop and two huge freeways running through town and are starting another loop that is gonna cost an insane amount. How are they able to find funding for these huge freeways and yet CS can't get an overpass built in a decade? 2818 should have been expanded and had overpasses done a decade ago and HWY 6 should have been expanded to at least 6 lanes when it was expanded last time. Wellborn and Deacon should have been built when they first started building the barracks instead we have that stupid ass intersection that is dangerous as hell. The planning in this area especially in CS has been dog **** and I wish people in town actually held people responsible for being ****ty at planning for the future.
Expert Analysis
AG
Agreed. Look at Tyler too. Those Txdot districts just do better than ours.

The plan for the 2818 expansion is garbage and a misuse of taxpayer dollars by txdot and COCS.
meteoag
Today is a perfect example I got on University @ Discovery at 5:13pm and made it to Agronomy by 5:33pm, total 20 minutes to cover .6 miles. Spent an additional 10 minutes going from Agronomy to Wellborn to cover .2 miles. At this point I got onto Wellborn to head north to cut through neighborhoods in Bryan, and I wasn't the only one who had this idea as this is also becoming congested. Got onto Texas for a bit and noticed that the traffic was backed up as well but unlike University it at least seemed to be moving off and on so it appears that these corridors are not being treated equally when it comes to time. Got back onto University at Tarrow where there was almost no traffic and everything flowed extremely well from there to six arrived at 6:05. Total time spent covering the earlier mentioned 2.9 miles point to point is 52 minutes. If I'm doing my math correctly this works out to .05 miles per minute or 3.35 mph so yes this is worse than Houston.
Expert Analysis
AG
You are correct in that they do not balance the University/Texas light well enough. There is little to no delay on the other three legs, but university eastbound is backed up past agronomy. It has been that way for over a decade...they added a couple extra turn lanes a few years ago, but they do almost nothing to relieve congestion.
The BCS MPO has spent a great deal of money on an unrealistic redesign of university drive. This wonderful design was all west of texas, not addressing the bottle neck for the corridor...
Post removed:
by user
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.