What's the difference between a gang and a social circle?

7,468 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TLIAC
redd38
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What's the difference between a gang and a social circle that sells drugs? Does a social circle have to file paperwork to become a gang or something?

studioone

social circle is like grandmas knitting group or the baptist's women's luncheon? (im baptist... so :P)

but with illegal drugs...
expresswrittenconsent
From the outside looking in, you cant understand it, and from the inside looking out, you cant explain it.
saltydog13
AG
Is gang a bad word they can't say or something?
merc
AG
WTH?
TxSquarebody
Political correctness is the idea, perpetuated by the media, that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Truman2001
AG
When I was in high school I remember we had cliques and party crews. Never really understood what made them different then the gangs, but it seemed like those kids were more rocker skate tagger kids and kids who organized parties. unlike the real gangsters.
BrandoC
AG
What people are not even bringing up is that gangs have possibly made their way into College Station. How in the hell has this even happened?!?!
Esteban du Plantier
AG
BrandoC said:

What people are not even bringing up is that gangs have possibly made their way into College Station. How in the hell has this even happened?!?!

College kids buy lots of drugs
Drugs are illegal
Criminals sell drugs

We could of course make cannabis legal and it'd all go away. Everyone that wants to use is already using.
saltydog13
AG
sarcasm I hope?
BrandoC
AG
I PROMISE you making weed legal will not stop gangs and violence. It will make it an all out competition to sell just as it is now. Bookmark this if you choose but if it is ever made legal in Texas, things will go from bad to worse. Do not understand why people think legalizing a drug (herb or whatever the hell some people say) will solve part of our states problems.
doubledog
redd38 said:

What's the difference between a gang and a social circle that sells drugs? Does a social circle have to file paperwork to become a gang or something?

A gang is a social club that acts as a group in a lawless manner.
91_Aggie
AG
BrandoC said:

I PROMISE you making weed legal will not stop gangs and violence. It will make it an all out competition to sell just as it is now. Bookmark this if you choose but if it is ever made legal in Texas, things will go from bad to worse. Do not understand why people think legalizing a drug (herb or whatever the hell some people say) will solve part of our states problems.
I'm sure people said the same thing about alcohol in the 20s.

Pretty sure people don't think legalizing weed will stop ALL problems like gangs. Gangs are around because of different reasons (i.e. they would be around if drugs did not exist at all)
But it will allow our police system, judicial and prison systems to be able to concentrate on more serious issues.
TxSquarebody
91_Aggie said:

BrandoC said:

I'm sure people said the same thing about alcohol in the 20s.

Pretty sure people don't think legalizing weed will stop ALL problems like gangs. Gangs are around because of different reasons (i.e. they would be around if drugs did not exist at all)
But it will allow our police system, judicial and prison systems to be able to concentrate on more serious issues.

Or kick the can some more.
Dawale
This thread made me think of this:

Jinx
I guess when I think of gangs I think more of "organized" criminal activity with small groups in various places of a region like MS13, bloods, crips, etc. I'm guessing by how these people are acting fools all over town and not even trying to hide it they're probably just a bunch of punk young adults and kids messing with each other Hatfields & McCoy style.

Or they're just really terrible at being criminals.
justalocal
I see a social circle as a persons group of friends or acquaintances. Not everyone in the social circle hangs out with each other. For example, I hang out with both Jane and Maria but not at the same time because Jane doesn't like Maria. While they are both my friends and in my circle, they are not in each other's.
expresswrittenconsent
BrandoC said:

hopeandrealchange
Years ago while enduring weeks of service on a Neighborhood resource team. And constantly urging city staff to beware of the unintended consequences of their actions. I predicted this. In the real world they are called gangs. Befriend a local Officer and get him to define "Dark crime" Dark crime is what goes unreported. It runs rampant.
As rental rates In the overbuilt apartment complexes continue to drop the problem is only going to get worse.
cslifer
Years ago you predicted that two groups of moronic young people would argue and fight with each other, and somehow that is tied to too many apartments in town? And these kids behavior is an unintended consequence of city staff decisions? Lol ok
hopeandrealchange
Yes, yes and yes.
cslifer
Do you care to explain? To say you predicted this is laughable. What did you predict besides human behavior that has been going on since the beginning of time? Two groups of idiots argued about something, and now people want to hurt each other, it is just that simple. What affect does too many apartments have on the behavior of these kids? What decision did city staff make that lead them to smoke pot and fight? Did it ever occur to you that this is simply a group of young people acting like idiots?
And no "in the real world" they are not called gangs. My guess is this is two groups of folks that don't care for each other for some reason. A group of people fighting with another group is a far cry from a gang. The Texas penal code has a definition of a gang, if the group doesn't meet that definition then they aren't a gang, it is just that simple. Calling them gangs is simply trying to sensationalize the situation.
I forgot to mention the "dark crime" that was mentioned earlier. What a bunch of sensationalist crap. I would venture to say MOST crime isn't reported, stop trying to make things sound worse than they are.
hopeandrealchange
You got part of it.
And you can't see the forest for the trees.
My prediction was based on human nature and a little bit of very basic math.
You are upset when I mention Dark crime and then you admit most crime is Dark crime.
cslifer
Not upset at all, just pointing out that by calling them gangs and talking about unreported crime you are really just trying to sensationalize the whole thing.
I have to specific questions for you though...
1. What were the actions of city staff you mentioned earlier that caused this specific incident?
2. As you claim to have predicted this specific event, when and where will the next crime happen?
hopeandrealchange
cslifer said:

Not upset at all, just pointing out that by calling them gangs and talking about unreported crime you are really just trying to sensationalize the whole thing.
I have to specific questions for you though...
1. What were the actions of city staff you mentioned earlier that caused this specific incident?
2. As you claim to have predicted this specific event, when and where will the next crime happen?

Let me see if I can answer your two questions.

1. I was not referring to a specific action many years ago. I predicted our crime rate would go up based on the decisions staff was making concerning future housing development in our fine city. I befriended the officers who where working security at these meetings and they told me the decisions being made would have dire consequences. And I agreed with them and I still do.

2. You are showing your true colors on this one.

Have a good weekend.
CoachLB
A month ago I went to Denver. Had a few hours to kill before going to catch a game at Coors Field. So My wife and I walked down 16th street. If what I saw is what happens to a city that makes pot legal and you can openly smoke. Then I hope it never is legal here. Just my opinion.
cslifer
So you can't back up pretty much anything you say, kind of what I figured.
I am interested to see your statistics that show that any increased crime rate in CS is directly related to housing development. Even more interested to see how you manage to tie that back to an apartment complex that is 40 plus years old.
hopeandrealchange
cslifer said:

So you can't back up pretty much anything you say, kind of what I figured.

I answered both of your questions.
Given one of them you where fishing for a fight and I refuse to engage.

Have a great weekend.
cslifer
So we don't get any more crime predictions or unsubstantiated claims that a crime in a 40 year old apartment complex is tied to decisions made about development?
jeffk
AG
I love that they make visuals for all their tweets no matter how ridiculous they are:

hopeandrealchange
I must be losing my mind. I don't remember mentioning anything at all about a 40 year old apartment complex.
cslifer
Look at where the crime happened. 2100 southwood is the area around flats on 12, which is 40 plus years old. Taco Bell on Harvey is across from the pearl, close to that old. So, please tell us how development caused these crimes.
hopeandrealchange
You asked for more predictions.
I broke out the old crystal ball and knocked the dust off just for you.
When the newly overbuilt housing goes vacant for a few months management will begin to drop rental rates.
When they do the folks in the 40 year old complex you mentioned will pull up roots and move into the nice and new units. The 40 year old complex will drop rental rates. When the thugs in the outlying communities realize they can rent cheaper here in BCS we will be raising taxes to hire more cops.

Human nature and simple math.
cslifer
So how did all that you mentioned cause the shenanigans this week? From the news and justice web it appears it was all home grown idiots.
What new apartments are empty? Or is this just an uneducated guess on your part?
malenurse
AG
I give up. l suck at the internet
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.