*** 2019 "They Are Coming" Thread ***

10,717 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by bushytailed
bushytailed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Folks, the campus residence halls open Sunday. Howdy Week is next week and classes begin on the 26th.

They are coming. You know the drill.

Learn to use the various curbside grocery options in town. Make a run for the liquor store. Take a leisurely drive or two up and down Texas Avenue. Enjoy the shorter lines are the various restaurants in town. Prepare for your commute times to increase. Avoid going into HEB, Target, Walmart, and Specs next weekend at all costs.

We're about to welcome 60,000+ students (and their money) back to Aggieland! By planning accordingly, we can make it to the first week of September relatively unscathed.

BTHO the fall semester!
TxSquarebody
Don't forget to walk or drive your back up beater. 15k freshmen have no idea how to get around town and will be on their phone the whole time.
Post removed:
by user
halibut sinclair
australopithecus robustus
Always grateful upon their return. Commerce and prosperity may resume
armymom
A lot of them have already returned. Barely missed being sideswiped on Texas Avenue in front of campus. She didn't even look when changing lanes.
summergal
Stay off of the thoroughfares. The back roads are your friends.
Oogway
KBTX ran a story on school zones (K-12) and that is something I wondered if the local officials and A&M collaborate on with respect to reminding the collegiate drivers to be alert and watch for children traveling to and from school. I noticed more traffic patrol out and about in certain areas this week.

https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Local-police-discuss-school-zone-safety-535931321.html

Tailgate88
AG
I, for one, welcome our new Aggie overlords!
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Why are there no generators available?? I have 2,260 rolls of toilet paper and 1,564 bottles of water. I AM WORRIED ABOUT MY ELECTRICTY
Fonzie Scheme
AG
I'm even worried about my misspelled electricity.
AgsWin2011
AG
The only positive thing that comes to mind when the students come back is that means it's almost time for game day! Ahhhh.......
jja79
AG
You must not own a business or have a job.
bobinator
AG
Stupe
S
Fonzie Scheme said:

I'm even worried about my misspelled electricity.
I'm shocked that you spelled it incorrectly.
histag10
AG
Campus PD is gearing up to write a lot of tickets. Speed limit on Bizzel dropped from 30 to 25
AgsWin2011
AG
jja79 said:

You must not own a business or have a job.

Well that's an asinine thing to say. I may not be a business owner, but I have a well paying career. I made a selfish statement in saying that I like not having to deal with large crowds when the students are in town, but at least that means it's almost football season. Sorry someone pissed in your Cheerios this morning.
bushytailed
AG
histag10 said:

Campus PD is gearing up to write a lot of tickets. Speed limit on Bizzel dropped from 30 to 25

Thanks for the warning
techno-ag
AG
Congrats to all the businesses who managed to keep their doors open through the summer. Let the good times roll.
trouble
AG
I'll just stay in Bryan as usual. The fish won't find it until at least the spring.
halibut sinclair
Good thing A&M isn't on the bypass. That place could really grow.
jja79
AG
Actually no one did. That just seems a ridiculous statement.
jeffk
AG
My hood is too scary. Students don't even make it to my H-E-B.
trouble
AG
Heck, I don't even venture to your hood.
histag10
AG
bushytailed said:

histag10 said:

Thanks for the warning

They changed it maybe a week or two ago on a weekend. Monday morning when I came in, they had like 3 cars pulled over that I could see.
histag10
AG
I 100% forgot about FOW.

They are officially back, as FOW begins today
BetsyParker
AG
histag10 said:

bushytailed said:

histag10 said:

Thanks for the warning

They changed it maybe a week or two ago on a weekend. Monday morning when I came in, they had like 3 cars pulled over that I could see.
Yes, and there were no "flags on top of the signs" or any kind of alert to the change. I just happened to notice the signs say 25 now instead of 30. Every time I have driven through there since, I've seen an officer with a car pulled over.

Bizzell between the golf course and the Commons and Lewis between the South Side Garage and what I call the red lot all the way up (between the back of Duncan and Duncan Field) to Coke/Throckmorton - all 25 now. Coke/Throckmorton are still 30.

(I had to consult a map for the street names as I never navigated campus via street names.)
histag10
AG
Yes. I park in CCG, and usually come down Bush to Bizzell to get to work. I still catch myself going 30 a lot.

The cops tend to hide behind the dumpsters over by the southside dorms. It's really annoying. I wish they had, at the VERY least, sent out an email about the change. Hell, they send out traffic and construction updates for around town, but they cant let us know they are changing the speed limit on campus?
AgFan1999
AG
If they need ticket money, they should ticket the bicycles that blow through the stop signs.
bobinator
AG
AgFan1999 said:

If they need ticket money, they should ticket the bicycles that blow through the stop signs.
Or everyone in this town who acts like there's some kind of three second grace period on red lights. I've started waiting a beat after the light turns green before going to make sure someone isn't screaming through the intersection.
histag10
AG
AgFan1999 said:

Or people on their phones who just randomly step out into streets to jaywalk with out looking or using a crosswalk.

I cant even count the number of people I have almost hit on campus because they just randomly step into the street in front of traffic.
redd38
AG
They'll make a ton of money on all the new No Right On Red and No U-Turn signs on University. I have yet to see someone wait for a green light to turn right onto S College from University.
PS3D
BetsyParker said:

histag10 said:

bushytailed said:

histag10 said:

Thanks for the warning

Yes, and there were no "flags on top of the signs" or any kind of alert to the change. I just happened to notice the signs say 25 now instead of 30. Every time I have driven through there since, I've seen an officer with a car pulled over.

Bizzell between the golf course and the Commons and Lewis between the South Side Garage and what I call the red lot all the way up (between the back of Duncan and Duncan Field) to Coke/Throckmorton - all 25 now. Coke/Throckmorton are still 30.

(I had to consult a map for the street names as I never navigated campus via street names.)
It's not just campus, at some point in July, Graham Road went from 45 to 40.
bobinator
AG
Yeah, I've already seen them pop quite a few people right there and NOBODY is heeding the signs despite them being huge. (and in multiple places)
SchnauzerMom
To be fair, there was a news story about Graham road.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.