*** 2019 "They Are Coming" Thread ***

10,722 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by bushytailed
Stupe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
bobinator said:

AgFan1999 said:

If they need ticket money, they should ticket the bicycles that blow through the stop signs.
Or everyone in this town who acts like there's some kind of three second grace period on red lights. I've started waiting a beat after the light turns green before going to make sure someone isn't screaming through the intersection.
People that drive in Houston often know the traffic light rules when stopped at a controlled intersection:

Red: Sit still.
Green: Sit still for 3 more seconds.

When approaching a controlled intersection:

Green: Go
Yellow: Go faster
Red: Tap the breaks....then floor it.
bobinator
AG
I lived in Houston and the biggest difference is that in Houston there's no semblance of order or rule of law on the roads. When you're driving it's a battle against the rest of humanity, and you follow the rules and signal your intentions at your own peril. It's predictable because everyone is going to do whatever benefits them the most to do every time.

Here there's like... just enough niceness that it lulls you into a false sense of order and belief in your fellow man that perhaps we're all here to work together to maximize traffic flow for everybody and then a few people ruin the whole thing.
redd38
AG
bobinator said:

I lived in Houston and the biggest difference is that in Houston there's no semblance of order or rule of law on the roads. When you're driving it's a battle against the rest of humanity, and you follow the rules and signal your intentions at your own peril. It's predictable because everyone is going to do whatever benefits them the most to do every time.

Here there's like... just enough niceness that it lulls you into a false sense of order and belief in your fellow man that perhaps we're all here to work together to maximize traffic flow for everybody and then a few people ruin the whole thing.

The problem here, especially when the parents are in town, is that all the different driving styles are mixed together. It doesn't work well.
bobinator
AG
Well yeah, I was talking about like, most of the time. Move in/the first couple of weeks of school/football weekends/etc it's like walking through a big international airport. Nobody is following the same protocols for anything.
Donny Hall
i live off munson and the city wouldnt have to raise taxes if they put a few more cops over there writing tickets.
BetsyParker
AG
This came out today:

ALERT:
In support of the Texas A&M University Transportation Institute's autonomous shuttle demonstration occurring Aug. 26 Nov. 15, the speed limit on Coke St., Lewis St., Lubbock St. and Bizzell St. (from Lewis St. to Lubbock St.) will be temporarily reduced to 25 m.p.h. until the end of the demonstration period. The autonomous shuttle will operate at 12 m.p.h.

Please use caution when driving in this area.
scd88
AG
I enjoy the cycles of BCS of when the students are here and when they leave. Right about the time I'm ready for the vibe of a packed campus, they come back.

When I feel like I want a break, a semester break rolls around. I hope we never lose our college town vibe that way.

Welcome back, students!!
aggies_2001
AG
I got this email from Transportation Services yesterday:

ALERT:
In support of the Texas A&M University Transportation Institute's autonomous shuttle demonstration occurring Aug. 26 Nov. 15, the speed limit on Coke St., Lewis St., Lubbock St. and Bizzell St. (from Lewis St. to Lubbock St.) will be temporarily reduced to 25 m.p.h. until the end of the demonstration period. The autonomous shuttle will operate at 12 m.p.h.
Please use caution when driving in this area.
We appreciate your understanding,
Transportation Services

Stupe
S
scd88 said:

I enjoy the cycles of BCS of when the students are here and when they leave. Right about the time I'm ready for the vibe of a packed campus, they come back.

When I feel like I want a break, a semester break rolls around. I hope we never lose our college town vibe that way.

Welcome back, students!!
Same here.

When they get back...it's football time!
Eliminatus
AG
redd38 said:

They'll make a ton of money on all the new No Right On Red and No U-Turn signs on University. I have yet to see someone wait for a green light to turn right onto S College from University.

Wait.....wat
redd38
AG

See you on the other side, friends. Good luck.
BCStalk
It has begun
AgsWin2011
AG
Had to return something at Best Buy today and had to park at Office Depot. Then stopped by H-E-B on the way home and there were currently 3 shopping carts available.

Not sure what this next week is, but I'm fairly certain school starts the following week. I was caught off guard.
MiMi
S
Quote:

Not sure what this next week is
Howdy Week starts tomorrow with Move-In to the dorms
doubledog
Some facts/tips for those new and returning students (& parents).

1. Texas Ave is not the only north/south thoroughfare.
2. Notice all the new medians on Texas Ave. Plan ahead avoid u-turns.
3. There are two other Walmarts in "town" (well Bryan). The one on west villa maria is the safest.
4. Do not park in the middle of the street. Wait for a parking place.

All for now. Townies feel free to add your own.
jeffk
AG
Stay away from my "dangerous" Wal-Mart.
merc
AG
I feel like (most)Wal-Marts are all about timing. After a certain point in the evening all them feel sketchy. I'm sure this is a "you're not in traffic, you are traffic" moment for me as well because if you have to make a late run you're not usually dressing up or combing your hair etc.
histag10
AG
I will likely be hitting up Kroger on Boonville or HEB on 21 tonight. Hoping they are still not frequented by college kids, and are no more busy than normal
trouble
AG
The HEB on Villa Maria was just it's usual Saturday busy earlier.
Post removed:
by user
jja79
AG
I went to HEB on Wellborn and Best Buy between noon and 1pm and had plenty of parking options and reasonable check out times. Best Buy was surprisingly normal. Traffic between the two wasn't bad at all. Didn't have to wait through any lights.
bobinator
AG
Today is the full opening of the residence halls.
KidDoc
AG
I tried to go by Suddenlink to see about this price for life thing and the line was 10+ deep Wednesday at 2 pm. I just turned around and left.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
PS3D
bobinator said:

Today is the full opening of the residence halls.
Off-campus apartments are moving in today, too. Coming back from church I saw that cars were backed up on Holleman halfway to 2818 trying to turn into Cottage Lane.
techno-ag
AG
redd38 said:

See you on the other side, friends. Good luck.
KBTX mining TexAgs for story ideas again.
bushytailed
AG
Quote:

Bryan-College Station,Texas: Now and Then
6 hrs

Citizens of Bryan-College Station:

This is an alert from the Emergency Broadcast System. This is NOT a test. The students are back in town... All 70,000 of them. They are armed with their Parents in tow. Be on high alert for trucks loaded down with mattresses flying all over Texas Avenue, University Drive, and the surrounding areas. Stay 8 car lengths away from all drivers, regardless of age. Students do NOT drive according to the law and parents have no idea where they are going. Be aware of oncoming traffic in your lanes , people inadvertently playing chicken and general 15 mph traffic at all times.... Also whatever you do, at all costs, avoid, I repeat DO NOT GO to Target or Wal Mart.... They are out of it... All of it, and all the students and parents are here, all of them.... We are officially at DEFCON 1. Stay in your homes through the weekend!

AND WE ARE THRILLED TO HAVE THEM BACK! WELCOME "HOME", AGS!
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.