Insurance Driving Discounts

2,749 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Joe Schillaci 48
BCSGirl
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My insurance company wants me to sign up for this Drive Safe discount program where they have access to your driving habits and you get a discount on your insurance depending on the collected data. What do you guys think about this?
TxSquarebody
Nope
jrhmc
AG
We did it and it gave us a discount. It was a pain for awhile but it did make my husband stop braking so abruptly.
91_Aggie
AG
Just wait until they use it to jack up your rates if you don't have the perfect habits

People giving Up freedoms for a few bucks
BCStalk
Heck no. My wife showed up with a couple of those things from State Farm. I drive between 2-3k miles a month and can't imagine someone tracking every location, braking, and acceleration. Needless to say, they went right to the garage.
FarmerKeith
AG
You need to call Morgan Moudy at Rollo Insurance and let him educate you on what telematics are, what it measures, how long you use it, and what its pros/cons are. If you have a smart phone, there is a heck of a lot more data about you being pulled by corporations from that than there would/could ever be pulled by a driving assessment tool.

Gabe talks about it constantly...Let Rollo objectively educate you on what you are buying.

Call Morgan 979sevensevenfour28zerozero.
JMac03
AG
I did the one that plugged into my car. I think I saved $6 - and I think it was every 6 months, not $6 per month (but I could be wrong). So yeah, not really worth it.
91_Aggie
AG
Makes me think of a quote someone said recently:

George Orwell Predicted Cameras Would Watch Us in Our Homes; He Never Imagined We'd Gladly Buy and Install Them Ourselves
We did this through USAA for almost 2 years and the discount was worthwhile. We had 2 under age 19 males driving in our family so our regular insurance bill was pretty high. I could also look up where the kids harshly accelerated or harshly braked as well as when they were driving outside certain hours or locations. It did not take too many warnings to get the kids trained up to minimize the alerts. I was happy with the discount, happy with the behavior modification and unconcerned with the insurance company knowing where we were and when we were there. If you want to shake your fist at Big Brother, fight on!
histag10
AG
We did this with progressive. Saved like $95 on one vehicle, and rates went up on the other.
ukbb2003
We just started our policy with progressive and I was thinking about getting this for my wife's car. The only problem is that I wouldn't be able to drive it for 6 months
expresswrittenconsent
91_Aggie said:

Just wait until they use it to jack up your rates if you don't have the perfect habits

Man you feel really strongly about this. Multiple posts about the end of society on a thread about car insurance.
But to play out the above doomsday scenario, what happens when they "jack up your rates"? Why are you prevented from shopping the business just like you would if you hadn't used this device and the auto insurer decided to "jack up your rates"?
91_Aggie
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

91_Aggie said:

Man you feel really strongly about this. Multiple posts about the end of society on a thread about car insurance.
But to play out the above doomsday scenario, what happens when they "jack up your rates"? Why are you prevented from shopping the business just like you would if you hadn't used this device and the auto insurer decided to "jack up your rates"?

You sure feel strongly about this. You should do what you want. It is small steps like this that lead to further eroding of your privacy. And people are jumping at the chance to do this to save $6 to $95 a year.

Joe Schillaci 48
AG
FarmerKeith said:

Gabe talks about it constantly..
Pretty sure he does that because that is part of his job?

Turning your private life over to an insurance company to save $6 a year does not appeal to me.
It is also a way to help the insurance companies to low ball you on claims.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional sports advice.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.