Need Advice about dumb mistake

5,332 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by OnlyForNow
MerJackson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So, long story short in January I received a MIP for DD my friend on her 21st birthday. She had alcohol in my car, and since the car is under my name, I got an MIP. Anyways, I have an awesome job offer on the table that would really allow me to get my foot in the door for the career I want to pursue, but they are doing a background check. The job is at Texas A&M and I'm wondering if I should be nervous about getting rejected once they see I have an MIP. I have finished my deferred disposition, so now it shows on my record but not as a conviction, as being dismissed. Any advice would rock because I am stressing out.
CS78
Probably nothing to worry about. Everyone in this town knows how bad the alcohol enforcement can be. Its almost a right of passage that everyone leaves with at least one to go with their degree.

I had a PI conviction just a few months prior to applying and being hired by the University. They did a full background check and no one mentioned it as a problem.
Stupe
S
If you got it deferred adjudication, why is it even showing up?
bobinator
AG
I wouldn't worry about it, but be ready to answer questions about it just in case. And you're probably better off just admitting to putting yourself in that situation and saying what you learned than going with a "it wasn't my fault" story.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Stupe said:

Minor in Possession in Texas is a Class C offense. Usually Class C offenses will not come up in background checks, especially if you did deferred adjudication. Class C is a just like receiving a traffic citation. Should be nothing to worry about. Good Luck!
Mr.Short-termMemory
AG
Criminal records never just "go away." It shows up because the ticket is there. BUT it's not a conviction, so always deny that. You got a ticket, but you completed deferred and been dismissed.

I agree above, not something to stress about.

And I agree with the post above.

If you want to discuss other options, give me a call, 979-704-5071.
Bunk Moreland
You're good. My guess is it's not showing up on anything. Maybe be ready to explain the story just in case but don't fret for a second over it. It likely won't come up.
Justin2010
AG
I had a similar concern when I was applying for a job at a&m. I sent an email letting them know what they'd see on the by check and I was fine. Got the job.
TLIAC
AG
Stupe said:

Getting deferred will not make it not show up. It just does not show up as a conviction (shows as dismissed like the OP said). You have to get the record expunged to make it disappear completely. Just like if you get a ticket and take defensive driving. It shows on your record that you used DD to have a ticket dismissed.
CS78

And even that doesn't really get rid of it. I was charged with something as a 15 year old in Louisiana. Record was expunged. About 8 years latter I was stopped on the water by US Customs in Florida. They called in my Florida DL number. In about 2 minutes they had not only the charge but the details of the incident when I was 15. Big Brother knows!
TLIAC
AG
CS78 said:

And even that doesn't really get rid of it. I was charged with something as a 15 year old in Louisiana. Record was expunged. About 8 years latter I was stopped on the water by US Customs in Florida. They called in my Florida DL number. In about 2 minutes they had not only the charge but the details of the incident when I was 15. Big Brother knows!
That's crazy because at 15 your were a juvenile. It for sure should not show up.
Stupe
S
TLIAC said:

Stupe said:

Getting deferred will not make it not show up. It just does not show up as a conviction (shows as dismissed like the OP said). You have to get the record expunged to make it disappear completely. Just like if you get a ticket and take defensive driving. It shows on your record that you used DD to have a ticket dismissed.
That's what I was asking. Why would someone not get that expunged?
OnlyForNow
AG
TLIAC said:

CS78 said:

That's crazy because at 15 your were a juvenile. It for sure should not show up.

Someone in your home county didn't do their job.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.