Local furniture store reviews/suggestions

6,102 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by mason12
bobinator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I tried like eight different searches because I couldn't believe there hasn't been talk on this board about it, but couldn't find anything so apologies if I missed it.

In the market for a couch (probably a sectional) and wondering where you folks go locally and what the experiences have been like. Online reviews are kind of hit and miss locally it looks like.
91_Aggie
AG
What kind of material are you looking for the sectionals?
If Leather, definitely learn the difference between bonded leather and real leather... a Big hint for crap leather furniture is if there not a lot of seams/sections of leather sewed together i.e. if the entire back looks like on seamless piece of leather, then it ain't "solid" leather and it's going to peel within 2-3 years and look like something even a college kid wouldn't want in their apartment.

If you have money to burn and want high quality, then the Furniture Source International is probably the place to go.

Of places like Ashley's, Furniture Row and Star Furniture, I'd go with Star if you want better quality. Furniture Row and Ashleys all seem to have low-end quality, and even Star can have some low-end stuff.

rsa
AG
Star.

We recently bought a full grain leather sectional from Star and have been very happy with it. More expensive than the faux-leather and split leather units found elsewhere, but you get what you pay for.

eta -- Lisa Sutphen was our sales associate, and she was very knowledgeable & professional.
Oogway
It wasn't a sofa, but we bought some furniture from Havertys and it has been fine.
befitter
Not a sectional but we did buy a couch and loveseat from Haverty's and like it
bobinator
AG
I think we're probably avoiding leather for various reasons, but thanks for the info.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
In the last 12 months I've had purchases delivered from Haverty, Star, Furniture Row, Ashley's (all local)

And Chair King and Texas Furniture out of Houston

All were satisfactory when compared apples to apples on price/quality
We bought our living room furniture from Furniture Row over 15 years ago and it still looks great.
BCStalk
We started buying from Star and Furniture Row. Both have been pretty good to us.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
Bought a leather sectional from Haverty's and it's been incredible.
jrhmc
AG
We go to the closest Rooms To Go and they deliver here. It used to be the one in The Woodlands but I think the 290 one is closer now.
JKAG10
AG
Bought quite a few items recently from Ashley. Went to the store to see what I liked. Ended up buying it online cause our store locally was priced higher and couldnt care less if they got my business. Really happy with the quality.
MelsSass
We recently bought a couch from Wiggin's furniture in Conroe and we love it!!
It's made in the USA which a lot of what the carry is, they have an example of how it's assembled so you can see that they use real wood to build it, they are friendly, they deliver, and they don't attack you the minute you walk in the door!!! Definitely worth the drive and if you don't find what you're lookin for there you can just hit 45 and check out all the furniture stores along that stretch of hwy,
75AG
AG
Went in Furniture Source International on Wellborn Rd. The place is huge, with quality (albeit expensive) furniture.
bobinator
AG
We're probably going to make a big loop around town on Saturday looking for one so all of these suggestions are great.

The prices at places like Ashley are pretty good, but then some of their reviews online are pretty bad.

We're trying to find that right quality/price balance.
ratfacemcdougal
I have an 8 year old chair from Furniture Row that is an absolute piece of junk. The puffy arms have collapsed, and the seat support is gone. I have been shopping for a while also for new living room set. Ashley is mostly cheap stuff as is Furniture Row. I believe, generally, Star and Havertys are better quality. I have never been to Furniture Source. There is a new store in Navasota just after the business 6 / highway 6 split. There is also Schlider and Hermanns in Brenham. Enjoy your hunt and report back your findings.
bobinator
AG
We went and looked at Gallery Furniture in Houston and found some decent options, but you're basically adding a couple hundred bucks to have them deliver it here to College Station which just seems like too much.
ratfacemcdougal
That is part of my issue also. I don't have a truck to do my own hauling.
halibut sinclair
Adams Furniture in Huntsville is another good option.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Is Havertys gona stay in business? I never see more than 1-2 cars there and I'm guessing some of the employees drive to work right?
Oogway
I don't know. When we went, the salesperson was very nice. We asked for some time to browse, try out, and talk about our considerations and he was very good at not hovering and then quick to take care of the actual purchase and delivery. We paid cash, so I have no idea what their financing is like. We just haven't needed to return for more purchases, but if we were looking, we would certainly try them again.
Tailgate88
AG
We bought a leather sectional at Furniture Row and it has been awesome. Only thing is it took a month to come in, because it was one that was on sale and they had a lot of takers so there were lots of people in line ahead of us. But we have been really happy with it.
Gigemchicken90
AG
I got a sectional at Haverty's and love it.
'90
techno-ag
AG
Locally, Star and Haverty's will have your higher quality. Also don't forget Furniture Source International in Wellborn. Amish Furniture for Generations has great quality stuff, dunno about leather couches though.

In general with furniture, you get what you pay for.
woodiewood1
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

Is Havertys gona stay in business? I never see more than 1-2 cars there and I'm guessing some of the employees drive to work right?
Great quality, but on the high end of price. We have gone in there a few times at prime time and never saw more than one or two customers. Maybe they do a lot of internet sales out of this location?
woodiewood1
techno-ag said:

Locally, Star and Haverty's will have your higher quality. Also don't forget Furniture Source International in Wellborn. Amish Furniture for Generations has great quality stuff, dunno about leather couches though.

In general with furniture, you get what you pay for.
As with most everything.

Quick story. When I graduated from A&M in 1975 I bought four 50 foot rubber hoses from Sears...life-time warranties and top quality, nickel fasteners. I am still using them and still in near new condition and they are left out in the sun most of the time. Only one issue over the years..back in about 2000 one of the hoses got a slightly flattened end where the water would comp out a little even with a new rubber washer. I took it back to Sears and the clerk went right to the shelf and gave me a new one. No questions, no cost.

I probably would have gone through a dozen plastic cheap hoses over the same 44 years.

Agmaker
Furniture Source international on Wellborn. High end. Good stuff. Good service.
txgardengirl
We have a sofa from Star, a sectional from Havertys, many accent pieces from Ashley and a few pieces from Furniture Source International

Happy with all of them - it really just depends on what you want/need and who has it

If you're in the mode for amazing - Agape just south if CS on Highway 6 is open
greentab81
AG
Go visit Ambrose Furniture downtown. I've worked with them several times. Quality and great service.
Birddog
AG
Agmaker said:

Furniture Source international on Wellborn. High end. Good stuff. Good service.
We bought a leather couch, chair and loveseat. Best quality of anything we looked at in town. We bought during one of the holiday sales. Highly recommend, great folks to deal with.
aggiebeck
We love Furniture Source International. High quality, high-end furniture at a reasonable price. Staff is very friendly and the store is BEAUTIFUL. They are a furniture wholesaler but they have a retail store off of Wellborn - https://furnituresourceintl.com/Retail. They also have coupons and sales monthly so follow them on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/FurnitureSourceRetail/
mason12
AG
We bought a top grain sofa from Gallery Furniture. American made and you know it is top grain as that is all they sell.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.