ISO - Dove hunting within an hour of College Station

5,054 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Belton Ag
Pastygangsta98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm a student in the class of '20 looking for any advice or help to find a lease for dove season relatively close to College Station. I know there's public land, but I'm not sure what parts are actually good to hunt.

Can anybody help me out?
TxSquarebody
The Walton ranch out in Millican does dove hunts, I think.
rc_cat
Might want to ask on the Outdoors Board as well, if you haven't already.
GSS
From someone who loves to dove hunt, and has done so locally for decades...the past few seasons in our area have been dismal. For reasons unknown, the population is way down, including the grain-rich Brazos bottom area.
NRA Life
TSRA Life
A Bald Fat Guy
AG
I tried public lands in recent years just outside College Station. I'd try to get a bit further out if I were you.
BQ_90
AG
GSS said:

From someone who loves to dove hunt, and has done so locally for decades...the past few seasons in our area have been dismal. For reasons unknown, the population is way down, including the grain-rich Brazos bottom area.
Flooding has prevent s lot of corn and milo to not be planted. Hogs also rescuing acres of corn being planted
Stupe
S
GSS said:

Yep.

That includes Grimes and Waller counties which used to have great wing hunting.
GSS
There may be less than normal corn and milo crops, due to the wet winter/spring...but still row grain crops for miles and miles. Cruise down FM50 and FM60...

Plus the area decline in dove numbers started about five years ago.
NRA Life
TSRA Life
Pastygangsta98
TxSquarebody said:

The Walton ranch out in Millican does dove hunts, I think.
They actually don't do dove, according to their website. They do a bunch of those canned quail and pheasant hunts. Not a huge fan of those.
Lupinus
Maybe the birds have opted for the easy life in the city. Whenever I set out shelled sunflower seeds on my windowsills, a small flock of white-wings descends from the trees and gobbles up the seeds in short order.
Belton Ag
AG
Lupinus said:

Maybe the birds have opted for the easy life in the city. Whenever I set out shelled sunflower seeds on my windowsills, a small flock of white-wings descends from the trees and gobbles up the seeds in short order.
There's your answer, OP. You can hunt your dove in this guy's front yard.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.